Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winning in the AFC

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Winning in the AFC

Watching these playoff games, I'm a little in awe and depressed. It's been a long time since Ben was able to make the kind of throws I've seen. It remains clear you have to have stellar QB play to make a run:

Patrick Mahomes: Other worldly, absurd, ridiculous talent
    Josh Allen: Played other worldly last night and still couldn't get past Mahomes
    Joe Burrow: Top 5 talent in our division
    Justin Herbert: Another top 5 talent in the conference
    Mac Jones: Appears to be an up-and-comer with a lot of confidence
    Lamar Jackson: Don't see him winning it all but dual-threat force to be reckoned with as long as he's healthy

All young guys with a ton of confidence and talent. Feels like the playoffs are going to be through these guys for years to come. It's a QB-driven league more than ever. I don't see us getting past the first round, much less sniffing another super bowl, until we have a guy who can play on the level of these guys. Journeymen aren't going to cut it unless someone miraculously gets into a zone at the right time, ala Nick Foles, Joe Flacco.

Maybe Russel Wilson or Derek Carr could find enough magic again to make it happen. All the other retreads we'd have a chance to bring in, I don't see it.
    Last edited by Eich; 01-24-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You didn't even mention Herbert. Merging my post here:

There are two first round RBs playing on Championship Sunday, both drafted with the final pick in the first round by Super Bowl champions, only one still on his original team. Sony Michel and Clyde Edwards-Helaire are also both parts of a running back by committee approach, complementary parts to their teams' success.

Joe Mixon, OTOH, is a true feature back, but he didn't win anything until Burrow showed up. He was also acquired with a mid 2nd round pick. The Niners' backfield is composed of a bunch of mid to late-round picks, a UDFA, and a WR and they are the best rushing team left in the playoffs.

Just a reminder that the Steelers are still team-building like it's 1992. Who was the last first round bell-cow back to lead his team to a Super Bowl? Jamal Lewis?

Who is behind this philosophy? Rooney? Colbert? Tomlin? All three?

Tomlin is accumulating power this offseason with internal DC and GM promotions. If this is his vision for success, I don't see us competing for a championship again for a long time in the QB rich AFC.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 01-24-2022 at 10:29 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    You didn't even mention Herbert. Merging my post here:
    I had him in my head but forgot to type the name! Edited.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I watched a few games this weekend and it confirms we are light years behind some of the upper echelon teams. Not to say we can't get better but it is going to take some time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who is behind this philosophy? Rooney? Colbert? Tomlin? All three?

Tomlin is accumulating power this offseason with internal DC and GM promotions. If this is his vision for success, I don't see us competing for a championship again for a long time in the QB rich AFC.
    I think they all recognize that having top QB play is a necessity. They all hoped, for the past several years, that Ben would find the magic again but it didn't happen.

The trouble is that getting the next Josh Allen is no easy task and takes a good but of luck too.

That said, I agree that running the wheels off your top running back isn't the blueprint for winning. But Tomlin did acknowledge that mobility at the QB position is valued and we saw that on display last night between the Chiefs and Bills. But you need an awful lot more than just mobility. These guys were making throws out of their minds.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I think they all recognize that having top QB play is a necessity. They all hoped, for the past several years, that Ben would find the magic again but it didn't happen.

The trouble is that getting the next Josh Allen is no easy task and takes a good but of luck too.

That said, I agree that running the wheels off your top running back isn't the blueprint for winning. But Tomlin did acknowledge that mobility at the QB position is valued and we saw that on display last night between the Chiefs and Bills. But you need an awful lot more than just mobility. These guys were making throws out of their minds.
    Even if you get the nest superstar QB it takes them at least a year to develop. I understand there are exceptions, but not many.

Legend

User Info Menu

.... Who was the last first round bell-cow back to lead his team to a Super Bowl? Jamal Lewis?

This is the model that I think we're going to try to follow.

Have a good RB and a good defense.

Pray that you draft a good QB that you can have on the cheap for 4 - 5 years.

Win a lot of games.

I think this strategy would be better in the NFC over the next 5 years because they don't have the QB talent that the AFC does (especially since Brady and Rodgers should start showing their age eventually).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post

Allen was considered a boom/bust prospect with high ceiling. So was Mahomes. So was Herbert.

Only a couple guys I'm hearing that about in this draft: Ridder and Willis.

The rest are productive college QBs with lower ceilings, Derek Carr types IMO.

Aim high, redraft if necessary. Gotta get this one right, might take a few swings.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

This is the model that I think we're going to try to follow.

Have a good RB and a good defense.

Pray that you draft a good QB that you can have on the cheap for 4 - 5 years.

Win a lot of games.

I think this strategy would be better in the NFC over the next 5 years because they don't have the QB talent that the AFC does (especially since Brady and Rodgers should start showing their age eventually).
    Yes, the 1992 model I referred to. Also, Lynch was drafted by the Bills. Last 1st round guy who was instrumental in leading the team who drafted him to a SB was Jamal.

They got exactly one ring out of him because their defense was historic.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 01-24-2022 at 10:52 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Excellent post Eich...

Yes, we are light years behind all those teams listed at the QB position. ( I would not list Lamar just there, but he is electric)

It is a passing league right, so maybe there is something to the truth saying we are way back.
    But I don't think we are that far off, competing to being a top 10 team, who can contend, but being a top 10 passing team we are way back.

If we build upon Najee ( run blocking) and a strong D ( solidify the DL), I think we can leap frog most teams and become a dominate contender.

Just look at the 2019 Steeler teamhttps://www.pro-football-reference.c...019_roster.htm
    OK, that team was not a dominate contender, but it had the excitement of one. Sort of seeing the Bengels evolve this year. You could see the potential in 2019, but injuries ( Ben mostly) killed the team especially at the skill positions through out the year.

That defense was incredible, it came out of no where with the Fitz trade.
    And it wasn't the ILB who shined, we had rookie Bush and freaking Barron and V Williams starting.
    The OLB were Watt and Bud.
    But that DL was amazing and deep... Tuitt- Hargrave-Cam and Alu and so were the DBS. ( cause and effect?)
    The DBs were solid- Hadden-Nelson-Fitz- Edmunds and Sutton-Hilton
    We had an average OL ( AV-Foster-Pouncey-Decastro-Feiler) All those players were on the downside of their careers. ( Come to think of it, this was the start of the demise of our OL )
    And we had injured Conner, Snell and ? at RB.
    All lead by 2nd year Rudolf ( was concussed and Garret gate).

If you compare that team, with "projected and improve roster" in 2022 we are not that far off.

So I think next year, we can be better contenders than Tenn, SF, NE were this year.
    Last edited by steeler_george; 01-24-2022 at 12:15 PM.