Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 130

Thread: Austin named

  1. #31
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Are you happy about it or not?
    I think it depends on whether or not the interview is legitimate or just fulfilling the rule.

    I hope we do a real search. Talk to more than just 1 or 2 outside people. And pick who we think is best.

  2. #32
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think it depends on whether or not the interview is legitimate or just fulfilling the rule.

    I hope we do a real search. Talk to more than just 1 or 2 outside people. And pick who we think is best.
    Graham a Yale graduate, so must be smart. Check. Was assistant under Belichick. Check. Was assistant under Flores. Check. Is a minority. Check. Had a top 10 scoring defense in 2020. Check.

    He checks a lot of boxes.

  3. #33
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Graham a Yale graduate, so must be smart. Check. Was assistant under Belichick. Check. Was assistant under Flores. Check. Is a minority. Check. Had a top 10 scoring defense in 2020. Check.

    He checks a lot of boxes.
    Does he check this one?

    | | Must allow head coach to call plays on Sunday and design defense.

  4. #34
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Does he check this one?

    | | Must allow head coach to call plays on Sunday and design defense.
    Some people say you should never hire a guy smarter than you. In my experience, I always looked to hire guys smarter than me.

  5. #35
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    They also have to satisfy the Rooney Rule
    Have you ever seen a picture of Austin?

  6. #36
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Have you ever seen a picture of Austin?
    Austin is already in the organization, so he does not count towards the Rooney Rule. Must be from outside the orginization.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

  7. #37
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Graham a Yale graduate, so must be smart. Check. Was assistant under Belichick. Check. Was assistant under Flores. Check. Is a minority. Check. Had a top 10 scoring defense in 2020. Check.

    He checks a lot of boxes.
    I like the idea of bringing in good people from outside the org. I think it's what we should have done when we hired Fitchner. And I could convince myself that's kind of what we did with Canada (if I squinted a bit).

  8. #38
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Some people say you should never hire a guy smarter than you. In my experience, I always looked to hire guys smarter than me.
    I think that's what good leaders do.

    And I think we've been at our best (under Cowher and Tomlin) when we had great Xs and Os coordinators under great motivation coaches (which is what Cowher and Tomlin were/are).

  9. #39
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Austin is already in the organization, so he does not count towards the Rooney Rule. Must be from outside the orginization.
    Wow, just read up on the new rule. You can't even promote a coordinator from within without interviewing outside the organization first. This is a rule that is easily corrupted, and some unscrupulous team (read: New England Patriots) is going to exploit it to their advantage.

  10. #40
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Wow, just read up on the new rule. You can't even promote a coordinator from within without interviewing outside the organization first. This is a rule that is easily corrupted, and some unscrupulous team (read: New England Patriots) is going to exploit it to their advantage.
    Yes, if the Post Gazette is correct the rule states you must interview at least 2 minority candidates from outside the organization before you can hire.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •