Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good or bad: It's more Tomlin's team than ever.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good or bad: It's more Tomlin's team than ever.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...n-in-the-past/

We will see if this makes the Steelers better or worse. Time will tell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...n-in-the-past/

We will see if this makes the Steelers better or worse. Time will tell.
    Welp, that will make things simpler when we need to decide who to blame if they fail. All fingers point to Tomlin (not much different than Arians, Reid, Belichick....).

Legend

User Info Menu

Hopefully we get similar results as the last time we hired a new GM with an established coach.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There are no more of Cowher's players left.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How does he keep falling up the last five years?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well I think is a seminal moment for both camps.

Tomlin is now the sole power broker

“Thane of Glamis” (as he is), “Thane of Cawdor,” and “king hereafter.”

With the hall of fame QB gone it will be all of his to own.

Success will be his and his alone and the supporters will be absolutely spot on with their assessments.

Fail and the critics will have a fair point to say his success was tied to having a great situation handed to him.

I doubt the debate will end either way...but in my mind, giving a nod to all his success as his, Tomlin fails here...it will indicate to me his greatest weakness (imo) his hubris.
    Last edited by brothervad; 01-23-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    How does he keep falling up the last five years?
    Add next season to that, I can almost guarantee he won't have a playoff win. SIX YEARS. I hope he leaves us or he's fired.
    Tomlin has a losing records in the playoffs. Every Steeler has a winning record during the regular season. Figure it out.
    6 years and counting, no playoff wins. Yet 25 other teams have at least one playoff win is this span of time. His record on hiring good OC's and DC's is terrible. Enough is enough.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well we'll have to give Tomlin a good 5-10 years to 'rebuild'. Why they don't just give him a lifetime contract is beyond me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Well I think us a seminal moment for both camps.

Tomlin is now the sole power broker

“Thane of Glamis” (as he is), “Thane of Cawdor,” and “king hereafter.”

With the hall of fame QB gone it will be all of his to own.

Success will be his and his alone and the supporters will be absolutely spot on with their assessments.

Fail and the critics will have a fair point to say his success was tied to having a great situation handed to him.

I doubt the debate will end either way...but in my mind, giving a nod to all his success as his, Tomlin fails here...it will indicate to me his greatest weakness (imo) his hubris.
    Your spot on; which is why I’ve dialed it back the last couple of years because I knew when Colbert started saying he was “ year to year” it was just a matter of time.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Add next season to that, I can almost guarantee he won't have a playoff win. SIX YEARS. I hope he leaves us or he's fired.
    I don't see him getting fired, not the Rooney/Steelers way, I'm hoping he steps down for a job in the media or takes another job. There were the rumors that he was in the running for some college jobs and people made fun of that but one of the people mentioning this was a former Bills GM and Steelers executive. I don't know if he was simply speculating but he did work for the Steelers under Tomlin before leaving for the Bills. There has also been talk/rumors (?) that Tomlin doesn't want to start over with a rookie QB, I'm just not seeing this ending on a good note, the sooner the better for change imo, the team needs to start a new chapter.