Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Once-high Steelers’ standards have fallen and can’t get up

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Actually rule changes caused by the Steelers started with Mel Blount roughing up CBs, then came the Hines Ward rule, and somewhere in the middle was Lambert getting flagged because "you hit the quarterback too hard".

Someone mentioned SF has hard nosed (offensively). I would say them and TEN are two run first offenses. Gonna be very interesting to see them in the playoffs against GB and BUF. If one of them makes it to the SB the Steelers just might consider patterning their offense off them. They've got the RB and a pair of good TEs. Just need to fix the OL.
    yeah.. SF is interesting. Jimmy G is like Baker Mayfield. The more he throws the more their chances of winning go down.

TN is the interesting one for me. I think we will model ourselves after TN if we stick with Mason. Run heavy but also having a dynamic WR who can take over a game. Maybe Washington sticks around and becomes the player we all imagined if he and MR and can on the same page.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yeah.. SF is interesting. Jimmy G is like Baker Mayfield. The more he throws the more their chances of winning go down.

TN is the interesting one for me. I think we will model ourselves after TN if we stick with Mason. Run heavy but also having a dynamic WR who can take over a game. Maybe Washington sticks around and becomes the player we all imagined if he and MR and can on the same page.
    AJ is an absolute beast of a WR. He dominates opponents, and can run everything in the route tree with ease. SF have Deebo, who has been a devastating force all season, either running or catching. There is literally nothing this guy can't do. Both of these WRs approach the game with physicality and explosiveness. Couple that with a smash mouth running game, and you get what is the closest to old school football from both these teams. I would like to see a Ten-SF final, just for the sheer physicality both teams will bring.

The way Washington was going up to get the ball intrigued me in that last matchup, and I've seen this effort before from him. Now, why he was behind Ray Ray is a question for the coaches. I don't think he comes back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    AJ is an absolute beast of a WR. He dominates opponents, and can run everything in the route tree with ease. SF have Deebo, who has been a devastating force all season, either running or catching. There is literally nothing this guy can't do. Both of these WRs approach the game with physicality and explosiveness. Couple that with a smash mouth running game, and you get what is the closest to old school football from both these teams. I would like to see a Ten-SF final, just for the sheer physicality both teams will bring.

The way Washington was going up to get the ball intrigued me in that last matchup, and I've seen this effort before from him. Now, why he was behind Ray Ray is a question for the coaches. I don't think he comes back.
    Its because Washington can’t get open in the offense we ran with Ben.

The real question is if this is out offense with Mason or the next QB or did we do this due to Ben’s age/limitations.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Its because Washington can’t get open in the offense we ran with Ben.

The real question is if this is out offense with Mason or the next QB or did we do this due to Ben’s age/limitations.
    I could have swore my eyes saw Ray Ray targeted on fade routes a few times, something Washington can run as well. He also highpoints the ball better than Claypool. There's something more at play in this situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure why Washington would really want to come back to us. We probably underutilized him by having Ray Ray higher on the depth chart (although I guess they are different kinds of WRs).

Maybe if he feels like Mason will win the job he'd want to come back on a short deal because of their chemistry? He had his best season by a factor of 2 when Mason was the QB...although we had a ton of injuries to skilled positions that year too.

Legend

User Info Menu

If I’m Washinton , no way I’d come back.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

I could have swore my eyes saw Ray Ray targeted on fade routes a few times, something Washington can run as well. He also highpoints the ball better than Claypool. There's something more at play in this situation.
    Never have been a ray ray fan. I think he must have naked , gay photos of Tomlin because there is no way he should have been ahead of Washington.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    If I’m Washinton , no way I’d come back.
    Yeah, I think he'll be looking for greener pastures

Legend

User Info Menu

On TEN and SF, I think the question for me is whether they can keep the game close with their defenses. Their offenses are not built to come from far behind. In most of SF losses they trailed at half time. TEN pretty much the same. The Steelers defense could be good enough since they held half their opponents under 20 pts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah.. but more than likely its because Ray Ray can get open underneath and occasionally runs a fade route.

Washington just didn’t impress this year besides a few 4th quarter grabs. Dude rarely get separation and unfortunately when he did get open QB’s always seemed to throw it behind him.

If I was him I would move on.. but something tells me it might be cold out there for a WR with depressing stats. Would not be surprised if he returns if he believes Mason is the a starter and he will get the targets he deserves.