Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Zeise: Steelers' standard under Mike Tomlin has been lowered

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Man.. there was someone on here that used to dog BA out something serious. Kept saying he needed to get on with his life’s work and kept asking why he wasn’t a HC by now.

Wonder if that dude is okay given all the success BA has had since he left.
    His "success" was "uneven" at best until one Tom Brady came onboard. Bruce even admitted that since Brady came onboard, he doesn't even have to deal with things like discipline or motivation...Tom handles it all.

Legend

User Info Menu

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/100/869/10869100.jpeg?width=600&fit=bounds

would these guys even be considered here for an assistant coaches job or would they be too much of a threat to the head coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    His "success" was "uneven" at best until one Tom Brady came onboard. Bruce even admitted that since Brady came onboard, he doesn't even have to deal with things like discipline or motivation...Tom handles it all.
    Bill Bellicheat may not be the genius we all think he is if this is the case.. lol.

but I’m not even talking SB’s. BA was coach of the year once I believe when he took the interim gig in Indy and made the playoffs. He also made the playoffs with AZ.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Bill Bellicheat may not be the genius we all think he is if this is the case.. lol.

but I’m not even talking SB’s. BA was coach of the year once I believe when he took the interim gig in Indy and made the playoffs. He also made the playoffs with AZ.
    BA is a good coach, went 9-3 with rookie Luck, 49-30 with a combination of Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton, and then to Tampa.

Of course Brady has helped, like it's now clear he helped Belichick, who has one playoff win and three winning seasons out of nine without him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    BA is a good coach, went 9-3 with rookie Luck, 49-30 with a combination of Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton, and then to Tampa.

Of course Brady has helped, like it's now clear he helped Belichick, who has one playoff win and three winning seasons out of nine without him.
    BA is one of those I'd put into the "Top tier" category (as a Head Coach)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    BA is one of those I'd put into the "Top tier" category (as a Head Coach)
    I don't think anyone belongs in the same category as BB.

But I get that these kind of things are mostly subjective.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steeler fans have been spoiled by an amazing stretch of HCs since the NFL merger.... or maybe it's not the coaches at all but the org and culture?:

Chuck Noll:
    23 seasons
    Regular Season Record: 209-156-1
    9 division titles
    12 playoff appearances
    7 AFC Championship appearances
    4 Super Bowl appearances
    4 Super Bowl wins
    Post-season Record: 16-8

Bill Cowher:
    15 seasons
    Regular Season Record: 149-90-1
    8 division titles
    10 playoff appearances
    6 AFC Championship appearances
    2 Super Bowl appearances
    1 Super Bowl win
    Post-season Record: 12-9

Mike Tomlin:
    15 seasons
    Regular Season Record: 154-85-2
    7 division titles
    10 playoff appearances
    3 AFC Championship appearances
    2 Super Bowl appearances
    1 Super Bowl win
    Post-season Record: 8-9

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I don't think anyone belongs in the same category as BB.
    When Brady when to Tampa, I recall saying, "we'll know who was the primary force in ll those wins".... At this point, BB needs to do something without Brady for me to say that because I'm seeing a coach who never had success without Brady...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2022 Final Mock
    1 - Malik Wills, QB, Liberty Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2 - Travis Jones, NT, Uconn George Pickens, WR, UGa
    3 - Jalen Tolbert, WR, USA DeMarvin Leal, DE, TAMU

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    When Brady when to Tampa, I recall saying, "we'll know who was the primary force in ll those wins".... At this point, BB needs to do something without Brady for me to say that because I'm seeing a coach who never had success without Brady...
    I kind of think that most (all?) coaches are in this category. But BB is still the best of the bunch.

But BB's success (with Brady) is unrivaled in NFL history. Even better than dynasties that were pre-UFA and pre-Cap. And that's insane IMO. And I think he certainly helped make Brady what he is (although who knows how much a coach can do that once a player gets to the NFL). So even if it is because of Brady (and I'm of the opinion that a lot of it is), it's still unrivaled by current (or former) coaches IMO.

And we want to really give BB the credit "without Brady", we might also put the caveat "with a QB on a market value contract". Because results from basically all other coaches show that it's much easier to have a great run with QBs on the "new" (i.e. post Ben) super-cheap rookie contracts.

I wonder if we can get some insight by looking at BA on with and without Brady. BA appeared in 3 playoff games and won 1 over 6 full seasons (plus 12 games as an interim). In full seasons, his teams were 56-39-1 in those full seasons. I think these numbers are good. I bet that they are similar to many 6 year stretches in Tomlin's career (but I haven't checked). And I think that makes him a good coach. 2nd Tier guy.

Brady comes along and they go 24-9 over 2 seasons. And they are goes 5/5 in the playoffs (with more to come).

Brady is the GOAT (which I hate admitting). And I think it's as much what he does in the locker room as it is what he does on the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I kind of think that most (all?) coaches are in this category. But BB is still the best of the bunch.

But BB's success (with Brady) is unrivaled in NFL history. Even better than dynasties that were pre-UFA and pre-Cap. And that's insane IMO. And I think he certainly helped make Brady what he is (although who knows how much a coach can do that once a player gets to the NFL). So even if it is because of Brady (and I'm of the opinion that a lot of it is), it's still unrivaled by current (or former) coaches IMO.

And we want to really give BB the credit "without Brady", we might also put the caveat "with a QB on a market value contract". Because results from basically all other coaches show that it's much easier to have a great run with QBs on the "new" (i.e. post Ben) super-cheap rookie contracts.

I wonder if we can get some insight by looking at BA on with and without Brady. BA appeared in 3 playoff games and won 1 over 6 full seasons (plus 12 games as an interim). In full seasons, his teams were 56-39-1 in those full seasons. I think these numbers are good. I bet that they are similar to many 6 year stretches in Tomlin's career (but I haven't checked). And I think that makes him a good coach. 2nd Tier guy.

Brady comes along and they go 24-9 over 2 seasons. And they are goes 5/5 in the playoffs (with more to come).

Brady is the GOAT (which I hate admitting). And I think it's as much what he does in the locker room as it is what he does on the field.
    Brady is the GOAT and I think winning in Tampa proves that Tom is the reason, not BB.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?