Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers draft 20th in the 1st round

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I agree, I'm not sure if we even know the situation.
    Not sure if Tuitt even knows the situation

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    we definitely need to address the OL and DL in the draft and free agency.

today's game has become a passing league, but the game is still won and lost in the trenches.
    Niners won their game with under 200 yds passing. Their lines were outstanding yesterday. Only needed to rush 4 to pressure Dak. And the OL got a lot of push up front.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    First round OL - 5 current starters are not worthy starters (at least yet) on a good line.

Or

DL - Even if Tuitt and Alualu do return, you have 2 starters in their 30s and the third (IIRC) will be 29. @ coming off season ending injuries. If the end is not yet it is soon. Don't prepare your DL to move on the same as you prepared for the OL.
    They have at least one promising guy in Loudermilk. It usually takes guys a year or two to come into their own in that role (even Heyward). I like what I saw out of him. I like Mont Adams a lot too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    You cant cut Tuitt. Banner and Schoebert are pretty much a given
    Wouldn't be so quick to cut Schobert because Spillane was an embarrassment last night...same as most games
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

My thoughts for what it's worth. There is no STAR QB's coming out of this draft, that's #1. I say we ride with Mason for the next season maybe even two. Draft an offensive line that can pass protect for a new starting QB in a year or two and that can run block. The best available QB that we could possibly get in the draft would be eaten alive because of our O Line. Fix the O Line and defensive backfield first. I think Mason can keep Tomlins no loss season record intact.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KYPITTFAN View Post
    My thoughts for what it's worth. There is no STAR QB's coming out of this draft, that's #1. I say we ride with Mason for the next season maybe even two. Draft an offensive line that can pass protect for a new starting QB in a year or two and that can run block. The best available QB that we could possibly get in the draft would be eaten alive because of our O Line. Fix the O Line and defensive backfield first. I think Mason can keep Tomlins no loss season record intact.
    We should have addressed the oline the last couple years and we could be competing next year. That’s what I wanted.
    Update:
    In the last decade:
    25% of the league has won a super bowl. The steelers are not one of them.
    18 teams have as many or more playoff wins as the steelers.
    25 teams have won at least one playoff game, none have a worse playoff win percentage than the steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll go out on a limb right now and say that this team as is currently constituted is a solid 10 win team with a quarterback that is mobile. Not a near 10 win team that did it like this year's team, a 10 win team that is dangerous come playoff time. For as much as I enjoyed Ben and was happy to have back this year and with the oline problems the Steelers were fortunate to win 9 games and should have had 10 but this was a weak 9-10 win team. I also believe that Mason Rudolph is going to be that quarterback, not that he's great but he is more mobile than Ben and will make plays outside the pocket.

2022/2023 Steelers, 10-7, in the playoffs and winning at least round 1, book it, Pappy said it.

Pappy

Ben: What do you want to do if we win the toss?
    Tomlin: Take the ball
    Ben: Are you sure? They have an all world defense.
    Tomlin: I have you

1.20 - Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2.52 - George Pickesn, WR, Alabama
    3.84 - DeMarvin Leal, DE, Texas A&M
    4.138 - Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis
    6.209 -Connor Heyward, RB, MSU
    7.225 - Mark Robinson, LB, Ole Miss
    7.242 - Chris Oladokum, QB, SD State

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'll go out on a limb right now and say that this team as is currently constituted is a solid 10 win team with a quarterback that is mobile. Not a near 10 win team that did it like this year's team, a 10 win team that is dangerous come playoff time. For as much as I enjoyed Ben and was happy to have back this year and with the oline problems the Steelers were fortunate to win 9 games and should have had 10 but this was a weak 9-10 win team. I also believe that Mason Rudolph is going to be that quarterback, not that he's great but he is more mobile than Ben and will make plays outside the pocket.

2022/2023 Steelers, 10-7, in the playoffs and winning at least round 1, book it, Pappy said it.

Pappy
    I like your optimism.
    For something like this to happen.. the OL would have to be revamped with at least 3 new starters (finishing top 10 in rushing), Tuitt come back (and make a probowl), same with Juju on both accounts... Mason Rudolph would have to finish in the top 12+/- in QBR,... etc etc etc

Legend

User Info Menu

i'm not sure how someone watches the 1st 3 qrs of that game last night and not want to draft someone on offense at #20

also, please remember how mason played vs. detroit

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I like your optimism.
    For something like this to happen.. the OL would have to be revamped with at least 3 new starters (finishing top 10 in rushing), Tuitt come back (and make a probowl), same with Juju on both accounts... Mason Rudolph would have to finish in the top 12+/- in QBR,... etc etc etc
    I don't think the oline has to be revamped, they were blocking for a statue that the defense knew wasn't throwing any passes on hashes, plus they knew his only deep ball was the right sideline with an occasional left sideline throw. Mason Rudolph will immediately make a defense defend the entire field, plus he'll be able to move outside the pocket. Of course, improving the oline will be good, dline as well, but there is talent on this team and they learned how to win close games this year and tasted the playoffs. The team is going to be better right away with a quarterback that is mobile, imo. This team isn't that bad, their record proves it, they couldn't compete with the best teams but were solidly in the middle of the pack.

Pappy

Ben: What do you want to do if we win the toss?
    Tomlin: Take the ball
    Ben: Are you sure? They have an all world defense.
    Tomlin: I have you

1.20 - Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2.52 - George Pickesn, WR, Alabama
    3.84 - DeMarvin Leal, DE, Texas A&M
    4.138 - Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis
    6.209 -Connor Heyward, RB, MSU
    7.225 - Mark Robinson, LB, Ole Miss
    7.242 - Chris Oladokum, QB, SD State