Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers draft 20th in the 1st round

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers draft 20th in the 1st round

So we have come to the end of an era. 7 will retire in style and he's on his way to Canton. Colbert on the way out as well.
    We have a large rebuild to do. Not a ton of draft capital to do it with but we're in real good shape cap wise.
    This 2022 draft has to be a real good one. To early to go we need this guy or that guy. What I will say is we need to find a way to pick up an extra selection or 2. We do not have a 4th or 5th rounder at this time however we'll very likely have an extra 3rd round comp pick for Dupree. Perhaps more than one comp pick.
    Lastly I would rather see us draft a qb then sell out a bunch of high draft picks to grab a vet qb. Just my humble opinion. Reason behind that we are more then a qb away from winning it all. Bunch of holes to fill. Likely it will take at least two really good drafts to have us seriously contending for another ring.

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m still numb to even think about this right now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Trade back, accumulate picks. Get Heyward to a team that can bring that deserving man a title, get another pick.

Long, painful rebuild ahead.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can't draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB.

I expect the Steelers to continue with the process that made the organization
    successful.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think people are reporting the Dupree comp as a 4th because Bud missed significant time.

Nothing official though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Trade back, accumulate picks. Get Heyward to a team that can bring that deserving man a title, get another pick.

Long, painful rebuild ahead.
    I dont know if the rebuild has to be long and painful. Weve seen plenty of 4-12 teams over the years..turn it around and make the playoffs the following season.
    Although it certainly could be a multi year process.. we need to replace the OC and focus on strengthening the OL and DLs through FA and the draft... let go of some of our upper tier contract guys (Haden and Shobert for starters).
    Minkah, Edmonds, and Witherspoon need to be retained... and the young guys behind them need to develop (Layne, Pierre). Hopefully theres a serviceable ILB emerge from U. Gilbert, Buddy Johnson, Spillaine, etc. I'm one of the few that's not ready to give up on D. Bush just yet. I think his play will improve behind a solid DLine.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think people are reporting the Dupree comp as a 4th because Bud missed significant time.

Nothing official though.
    I'd be okay with a 4th. I'm thinking we gave up a 4th for Loudermilk this past draft

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m guessing we go Defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I’m guessing we go Defense.
    Hoping for OL... Again

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    So we have come to the end of an era. 7 will retire in style and he's on his way to Canton. Colbert on the way out as well.
    We have a large rebuild to do. Not a ton of draft capital to do it with but we're in real good shape cap wise.
    This 2022 draft has to be a real good one. To early to go we need this guy or that guy. What I will say is we need to find a way to pick up an extra selection or 2. We do not have a 4th or 5th rounder at this time however we'll very likely have an extra 3rd round comp pick for Dupree. Perhaps more than one comp pick.
    Lastly I would rather see us draft a qb then sell out a bunch of high draft picks to grab a vet qb. Just my humble opinion. Reason behind that we are more then a qb away from winning it all. Bunch of holes to fill. Likely it will take at least two really good drafts to have us seriously contending for another ring.
    Dupree was injuried for most of the year, and Haeg played over the 25% mark, so heard we might only get a 4th.

Don't forget we traded Ingram for a 5th or conditional pick.

Quick reaction what I would do:
    1) KEEP this D intact, make it a focus of strength. We are not going to be scoring a lot of points so win by D, control time of position and field position. Re-sign Fitz, Edmunds, Spoon, Adams, Taco, and possibly Haden.
    2) Rebuild the OL via FA, not stopgap, but real players. ( 2-3 positions especially C and G, resign Okafor cheap)
    Moore-FA-FA-Dotson- Okafor/Banner- back up IOL Green, Leglue, and Hauser, back up OT Haeg/Banner. Add rookies.
    3) This sounds insane, trade DJ, he is a really good WR, but in last year of contract, rather have the $ for D, OL, or even future QB in 2023. Re-sign a more reliable Juju and move him to outside along with Claypool. They will still be young, and maybe draft or resign another cheaper slot WR. Add Mouth and Najee there is enough skill players to move the chains.
    4) Draft ILB, DL, and WR in the 1st 3 rounds. Then take flier on OL for depth and development.
    5) Cheap FA add back up skill positions: RB, TE, & WR.
    Last edited by steeler_george; 01-17-2022 at 08:06 AM.