Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chargers / Raiders Tie

Legend

User Info Menu

Chargers / Raiders Tie

Why would these 2 teams not agree to rest all of their guys and take a 0-0 tie?

That would guarantee both teams get into the playoffs and they would get in healthy.

Why risk losing and handing a spot to the Steelers.

If these teams do anything other than a 0-0 tie, people made major mistakes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

That would guarantee both teams get into the playoffs and they would get in healthy.

There would be fines, I'm sure and probably not inconsequential ones. The NFL is set up final week games like the Steelers/Ravens, colts/Jags and Raiders/Chargers, Goodell would not be happy.

Pappy

Ben: What do you want to do if we win the toss?
    Tomlin: Take the ball
    Ben: Are you sure? They have an all world defense.
    Tomlin: I have you

1.20 - Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2.52 - George Pickesn, WR, Alabama
    3.84 - DeMarvin Leal, DE, Texas A&M
    4.138 - Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis
    6.209 -Connor Heyward, RB, MSU
    7.225 - Mark Robinson, LB, Ole Miss
    7.242 - Chris Oladokum, QB, SD State

Legend

User Info Menu

Would you ever see the Ravens and Steelers agreeing to a tie to benefit both teams?

These teams hate each other and want to win and knock the other team out of the playoffs.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    There would be fines, I'm sure and probably not inconsequential ones. The NFL is set up final week games like the Steelers/Ravens, colts/Jags and Raiders/Chargers, Goodell would not be happy.

Pappy
    Agreeing to tie would be in both teams interest and wouldn’t break any rules.

Starter

User Info Menu

It would look really bad for the NFL in primetime no less. I think one issue is all these games should've been played at the same time but since the Raiders/Chargers game is later it gives both teams an unfair advantage of already knowing results from other games with playoff implications. NFL moves games at this point in the season so bad decision on their part.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There’s just no way. These teams hate each other. They are playing to ruin the other teams season. There is a lot to that. It’s just not in the nature of a professional football player to not want to beat a hated rival. They are not playing for a tie. Let’s put that to rest.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Won't happen, but if they go to OT you have to wonder if either team will take any risks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What do you mean to agree to a tie? Can two teams actually shake hands before the kickoff and say we don't want to play the game and we agree to accept a 0-0 tie?
    I have never heard of anything like that. And they can't play like they are both not trying to score and just punt back and forth, it is not going to happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agreeing to tie would be in both teams interest and wouldn’t break any rules.
    Maybe could break some collusion rules, but I think you just have to many individual contract incentives, and I'm sure the NFL would be fining the hell out of the teams.
    Last edited by Mr.wizard; 01-09-2022 at 07:42 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

After thinking more about this, the only reason to play here is for the Raiders to be able to avoid having to play KC next week.

KC crushed them 2 x and would probably crush them again. The only way they avoid KC is to beat LA.

For LA to have a motivation to win, they would have to want to avoid the #3 seed - Buffalo now or whomever it ends up being at the end of the afternoon games.