Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What made the run game start working in the 4th quarter?

Legend

User Info Menu

What made the run game start working in the 4th quarter?

For much of the game, it felt like we were getting nowhere, slamming into the teeth of the rats D. Then in the 4th quarter, the run game seemed to come alive. I read somwhere that our blocking scheme was simplified and holes started opening up. Was that the main reason?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    For much of the game, it felt like we were getting nowhere, slamming into the teeth of the rats D. Then in the 4th quarter, the run game seemed to come alive. I read somwhere that our blocking scheme was simplified and holes started opening up. Was that the main reason?
    Looked like they lined up and hit the guy in front of them.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Looked like they lined up and hit the guy in front of them.
    Seems like that's what an inexperienced line should have been doing a lot more of this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Give it up for Leglue in his first action ever. Played well!

Backup

User Info Menu

Johnny Leglue

Legend

User Info Menu

When a tackle goes down and the OL immediately starts playing better…
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ROLROC View Post
    Johnny Leglue
    Only thing I can think of when I see that name ...

Come on...why is that name WASTED on a lineman?

Why not a receiver, tight end, or even a ballhawk db?

It is JUST WRONG.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I read somwhere that our blocking scheme was simplified and holes started opening up.
    If this is true, it drives me crazy. When you have a bunch of young players, and they're not doing all that well under a more complex scheme, why wouldn't you simplify things for them so they don't have as much to think about? And why wait until the last quarter of the 12th game of the season?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If this is true, it drives me crazy. When you have a bunch of young players, and they're not doing all that well under a more complex scheme, why wouldn't you simplify things for them so they don't have as much to think about? And why wait until the last quarter of the 12th game of the season?
    Maybe that's been the plan all along? Changing up the blocking scheme late in the season makes it harder for defenses with less tape out there. Also gives the rookies hitting the wall a little bit of a breather by simplifying things? Or maybe it was just the opponent being vulnerable to it?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    That's a really good point. I don't know if the Steelers did simplify things with the blocking schemes yesterday but it would make sense.

I think another factor is the momentum had swung in the Steelers favor in the 2nd half, typically when one team doesn't capitalize on a number of chances like in the first half for the Ravens it usually means trouble later on. The Ravens defense started looking like the Steelers defense in the first half a little bit.