Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sources: Ben expects this to be his last season with Pittsburgh Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Sources: Ben expects this to be his last season with Pittsburgh Steelers

Sources: Ben Roethlisberger expects this to be his last season with Pittsburgh Steelers

Adam Schefter
    ESPN Senior Writer

Ben Roethlisberger privately has told former teammates and some within the organization that he expects this to be his final season playing quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, league sources told ESPN.

Roethlisberger has not made any such public proclamations, and likely won't, as he doesn't want the latter part of the season to be about him as Pittsburgh prepares to make a playoff push.

But he and those within the organization are now operating as if he is entering the final five games of his Hall-of-Fame career, with two of them fittingly coming against the Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh's opponent Sunday and in the final regular-season game as well.

Roethlisberger is in his 18th season and the final year of his contract, he is 39 years old and turns 40 in March, and has seen all his quarterback draft classmates such as Eli Manning and Philip Rivers move on to the next chapters of their lives. He is expected to be next.

Roethlisberger has told many that he never would want to play anywhere other than Pittsburgh, where his time is coming to an end. It doesn't mean he couldn't surface next season in another NFL city, but that is "highly unlikely," according to one source.

And that would mean that this is expected to cap the career of one of the Steelers' all-time greatest players. Roethlisberger will leave the franchise with more wins, touchdown passes and passing yards than any quarterback in Steelers history.

His 410 career touchdown passes entering Sunday's game are eighth most in NFL history. His 62,870 passing yards are sixth in NFL history. His 161 career wins are fifth in NFL history.

The fact that this is expected to be the final NFL season for the six-time Pro-Bowler does not come as a surprise to many around the organization. They felt that last season could have been Roethlisberger's last and, in a way, the team even seemed to prepare for that, turning over much of its roster on the offensive side of the football this season and already transitioning to the future there.

The Steelers have, on average, the youngest offensive roster in the league, with rookies manning the center and left tackle positions, and at running back and tight end. Pittsburgh has begun to move ahead at the other offensive positions, just not quarterback.

Though the Steelers have quarterbacks Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins on their roster, there are questions about whether either will be the one to succeed Roethlisberger.

At 5-5-1, the Steelers will need one final postseason push to give Roethlisberger one more opportunity to try to add to the two Super Bowl titles that he already has helped bring to Pittsburgh.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/i...burgh-steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Some here will be thrilled but this makes me sad. End of an impressive era.

And I’m so glad we prepared for this by grooming a replacement. Yes I’m being sarcastic.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post

And I’m so glad we prepared for this by grooming a replacement. Yes I’m being sarcastic.
    Me too. It's time for him to retire, although I think he could squeeze another season or two in the right situation (like a team with an actual O line).

As for his replacement, I can only assume this news comes as a complete shock to Colbert and Tomlin, as they've neglected the QB position for years (and yes, Rudolph is a neglect).

Not to worry though, surely after drafting a few tweener linebackers or a safety they plan to switch to LB, they'll address the QB position in rd 5 or 6.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sad. But necessary. He should have never came back this year. Now we can really rebuild.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    Me too. It's time for him to retire, although I think he could squeeze another season or two in the right situation (like a team with an actual O line).

As for his replacement, I can only assume this news comes as a complete shock to Colbert and Tomlin, as they've neglected the QB position for years (and yes, Rudolph is a neglect).

Not to worry though, surely after drafting a few tweener linebackers or a safety they plan to switch to LB, they'll address the QB position in rd 5 or 6.
    Same way they look for the O -lineman? Bargain basement style. Lol
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Same way they look for the O -lineman? Bargain basement style. Lol
    Well aside from Ben, when was the last time we've picked a QB in the first or second round? And Cowher didn't even want him. Don't worry, surely our front office will identify the next Josh Dobbs, Dennis Dixon, etc.

Speaking of drafts, is anything more pathetic than the 2016 draft? lol. 2018 isn't far off either

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post

And Iím so glad we prepared for this by grooming a replacement. Yes Iím being sarcastic.
    Same, it sucks. I wish he could've gone out on a higher note but that's usually how it goes I guess. He's going to be missed that's for sure.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A special QB. We were very lucky!

Assuming he retires, he needs 12 TDS to go ahead of Marino & Rivers into 6th place all time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    He should have never came back this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    Well aside from Ben, when was the last time we've picked a QB in the first or second round? And Cowher didn't even want him. Don't worry, surely our front office will identify the next Josh Dobbs, Dennis Dixon, etc.

Speaking of drafts, is anything more pathetic than the 2016 draft? lol. 2018 isn't far off either
    A draft like 2016 happened when the Steelers got desperate for DBs. First, they are not good at identifying NFL level secondary players. Second, they spent high picks on guys that were not anywhere close to can't miss prospects.