Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The QB Speaks His Mind

Legend

User Info Menu

The QB Speaks His Mind

PITTSBURGH (93.7 The Fan) – The only current Steelers player to win a Super Bowl with the team is worried about the Steeler Way. Ben Roethlisberger said the loss of Dan Rooney has been a major impact to the culture around the team.

Roethlisberger said there wasn’t the music in the locker room before because of Mr. Rooney. Ben said it was always that way and as guys started to leave the locker room that had that tradition, he, Brett Keisel, Maurkice Pouncey and others tried to keep it going.

“New guys would come in and play music & I was the grumpy old man who didn’t want music,” Roethlisberger said Wednesday. “I had a conversation with guys like Cam Heyward and Vince Williams & told them the reason we didn’t do it because if Mr. (Dan) Rooney came in the locker room, you wanted to hear what he had to say.”

“Whether it was about Steelers, about life, whatever. He was like a grandfather to all of us.”

“So much love for him and obviously as new guys came in and Mr. Rooney wasn’t around. We tried to pass that on and even after he passed I tried to tell guys I wait for him to walk through that door to come talk to you. You want to listen to him because he was so soft spoken and so wise.”

“That was always my thing of why I didn’t want the music because you never had it when he was around. I wanted to carry that on. The last couple of years, I relented and stopped being the grumpy guy. If they want to listen to music, they can listen to music.”

The issue of music might just be a part of a larger discussion about culture and tradition and history. Just because you play music doesn’t mean you don’t care or don’t respect those before you.

Roethlisberger asked about his concern about the franchise losing the ‘Steeler Way’.

“Yeah, of course you do, you worry about it,” Roethlisberger said. “There can’t be many guys, a handful in the locker room, who remember who Dan Rooney was. You can only tell guys those stories so much before they are like, ‘it’s just some guy talking’. You can pass on tradition all you want, but the further you get away from something the harder it is to do.”

“There’s probably some veteran guys that I played with that watch us or hear the people talking and shake their heads and say ‘that’s not the Steeler Way or that’s not the way we used to do it’. That’s the way things go and I’m sure the 70s team looked at us, it just happens.”

There have been a few former Steelers now that have indeed said multiple things, some very pointed criticism. Roethlisberger said with a smile he might be the one after he retires on social media with issues about the current team.

Right now he’s trying to get his team past a blowout loss in Cincinnati and on to facing their hated rival. He looks at the Bengals game as just a bad loss, like old gum that you just spit out. Roethlisberger said he won’t be into big talks right now.

“If you have to give guys a message at this point in the year with where we are, then maybe it’s time to get guys in there that don’t need a message,” Roethlisberger said. “People need to understand what this is about.”

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Winning cures all. When you're winning, no one is going to criticize the changing of traditions. When you're not, everything is magnified. But it does sound like more discipline is needed and more leadership stepping up. Cam is pissed. Ben is grumpy. Do something about it as captains of the team. Who cares if the team thinks you're grumpy. Pride shouldn't allow you to take a 41-10 thumping from the Bungles lightly. The team should be pissed off from top to bottom playing the Rats.

Ben mentions Dan Rooney a lot. Does Art II not visit with the players like the Rooney's before him?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Winning cures all. When you're winning, no one is going to criticize the changing of traditions. When you're not, everything is magnified. But it does sound like more discipline is needed and more leadership stepping up. Cam is pissed. Ben is grumpy. Do something about it as captains of the team. Who cares if the team thinks you're grumpy. Pride shouldn't allow you to take a 41-10 thumping from the Bungles lightly. The team should be pissed off from top to bottom playing the Rats.

Ben mentions Dan Rooney a lot. Does Art II not visit with the players like the Rooney's before him?
    Yep. Just like the Juju dancing thing. All this crap is just window dressing.

But when the product on the field isn't good, these kinds of things come out. Reporters are hunting for stories that are more compelling than "the players just aren't that good" and the players are looking for answers that aren't "it's because I'm not playing well".

Starter

User Info Menu

Players should accept some blame, but this mess starts from the top.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Isn't it up to the coach to maintain the standards and traditions? Guess not, as evidenced by his facebook live antics a few years ago.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Yep. Just like the Juju dancing thing. All this crap is just window dressing.

But when the product on the field isn't good, these kinds of things come out. Reporters are hunting for stories that are more compelling than "the players just aren't that good" and the players are looking for answers that aren't "it's because I'm not playing well".
    And if the story becomes "the players aren't playing well", then we'd expect reporters to write stories about why the players aren't playing well. Which, if you want to talk about actual football, means they have to break down the tape.

My guess is that reporters have a strong preference to report stories based on access to players and coaches (i.e. player X said Y, but then coach A said B...or player F listens to G kind of music, so he's the reason for every failure on the team) instead of having to watch file, understand plays, and break them down in a way that people can understand.

This is why blogs are way better for actual football fans. Establishment media is all about serving the lowest common denominator of fan...we're not the target audience.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    Isn't it up to the coach to maintain the standards and traditions? Guess not, as evidenced by his facebook live antics a few years ago.
    I think this is a reasonable question.

I wonder if there are stipulations in the CBA about coaches and the rules they can impose? We know that they can only have a certain number of contact practices.

I could see the union / players arguing that the locker room is a place for the players and what they do when they're getting ready should be up to them vs. management. It seems like that's been the "Steeler's Way" forever per Ben's comments above.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is this piped in music with no audio controls?

This has to be the goofiest excuse I ever heard for maintaining a “tradition”

Just say you don’t like the music being played and stop acting like its not possible to turn the music off when Rooney or Tomlin wants to address the team.

Tradition? Do we still play at Three Rivers?
    Still have block numbers every week? Are fans smoking in the stadium seating like the 70’s.

We really need to stop blaming these young whipper snappers for all that is wrong with the Steelers.

We had 6-10 seasons under Cowher.

We had 25 years between SB’s.

You know what changed our fortunes? A YOUNG BEN at QB.

Its not the music or the dancing or the tweeting. Its simply about talent.

We got our asses kicked by a Heisman Trophy winner who just won a National Championship 2 years ago while breaking all types of passing records.

We are about to face a former MVP in our division who also won a Heisman and has smashed rushing records and holds a few records.

We got our arse kicked by the other team in our division in the playoffs last year who also won a Heisman Trophy.

Now, obviously we don’t need a trophy winner to have success because Ben came from the MAC.

But guess what?

Big Ben got his name because he SUCKED in practice but played BIG in games his rookie year.

Tradition? whatever.. lol.

This ole “get off my lawn” crap is comical. If we win this week the narrative changes completely. Stop looking for excuses and just admit we got spanked.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    what antics?

If you are talking about AB being on FB live that is simply a sign of the times.

Unless we confiscate phones the org can’t stop adults from using their phones in this day and age.

How many times did it happen since AB’s incident?

Where is AB now?

oh wait… he had a TD in the SB with Brady and won a ring. Bad example.

But hopefully you get my point.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This team, for several years now, has operated under the assumption that they're one of the leagues best teams. Going back to AB and Bell, these guys acted like they were some kind of dynasty. Meanwhile, they never won anything. At least Ben and Tomlin have a few rings. The rest of these clowns haven't done ****, yet their focus seems to be on music, dancing, celebrations, their 'brand', and anything else they can do to showboat. Hey Chase, worry about catching the damn ball instead of playing music during practice.