Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Najee Harris' Run Game

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Najee Harris' Run Game

    A look at Najee's rushing game season to date;


    • Where's does Harris fall relative to the league in rush success rate?
      • Harris avg= 46.3% success; NFL= 49.4%

    • Maybe he is running into heavy boxes?
      • Harris faces 8+ in the box 13.3% of the time, 9th fewest in the NFL

    • Does Najee get stronger as the game moves along?
      • Rush success by quarter:
      • Quarter NH_SuccRate NFLAvg
        1st 49.1% 51.1%
        2nd 48.1% 47.6%
        3rd 45.2% 51.9%
        4th 39.5% 46.9%

    • What down does he do his best work on?
      • Rush success by down:
      • Down NH_SuccRate NFLAvg
        1st 44% 48.8%
        2nd 46.9% 49.5%
        3rd 50% 50.9%
        4th 100%* 58.7%

    *3 atts/4 total yds

    • What about his beast mode?
      • Yds after contact; 439 yds, 5th in the NFL; 2.3 yds/att, 18th in the NFL (some of yinz liked JWilliams in the draft; JWill =#1, 3.7 yds/att)
      • ​Broken/missed tackles= 10.1% (JWill #1 = 19.4%; JConner, 2nd in the NFL, 11.6%)



    It looks to me a lot like Najee's stats in rushing are based on sheer volume of touches. It also looks like he doesn't get better as the game goes along.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; Yesterday at 10:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    A look at Najee's rushing game season to date;


    • Where's does Harris fall relative to the league in rush success rate?
      • Harris avg= 46.3% success; NFL= 49.4%

    • Maybe he is running into heavy boxes?
      • Harris faces 8+ in the box 13.3% of the time, 9th fewest in the NFL

    • Does Najee get stronger as the game moves along?
      • Rush success by quarter:
      • Quarter NH_SuccRate NFLAvg
        1st 49.1% 51.1%
        2nd 48.1% 47.6%
        3rd 45.2% 51.9%
        4th 39.5% 46.9%

    • What down does he do his best work on?
      • Rush success by down:
      • Down NH_SuccRate NFLAvg
        1st 44% 48.8%
        2nd 46.9% 49.5%
        3rd 50% 50.9%
        4th 100%* 58.7%


    *3 atts/4 total yds

    • What about his beast mode?
      • Yds after contact; 439 yds, 5th in the NFL; 2.3 yds/att, 18th in the NFL (some of yinz liked JWilliams in the draft; JWill =#1, 3.7 yds/att)
      • ​Broken/missed tackles= 10.1% (JWill #1 = 19.4%; JConner, 2nd in the NFL, 11.6%)




    It looks to me a lot like Najee's stats in rushing are based on sheer volume of touches. It also looks like he doesn't get better as the game goes along.
    I get the numbers, but how to evaluate them is an entirely different question. IMO, the biggest factor in the success or failure of NH is the line in front of him. Broken tackle and yards after contact can be apples and oranges when comparing two backs. How many guys were on you when you attempted to break that tackle? Were you able to get up a head of steam before breaking it? Much harder to break a tackle when you are hit as soon as you get the ball vs. already having a head of steam and would be tackler diving at your waist.

    I'm not trying to defend NH when I say this, I just think that he is in a bad situation running behind this line and nobody to spell him to keep him fresh.

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I think part of the problem is defenses simply aren’t afraid of our deep game so even thought they aren’t “in the box” they are damn close.

    I will say Najee has been a bit disappointing once he gets to the second level, maybe because he is expecting contact but there are times he needs to make a man miss and he is trying to run through guys.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I get the numbers, but how to evaluate them is an entirely different question. IMO, the biggest factor in the success or failure of NH is the line in front of him. Broken tackle and yards after contact can be apples and oranges when comparing two backs. How many guys were on you when you attempted to break that tackle? Were you able to get up a head of steam before breaking it? Much harder to break a tackle when you are hit as soon as you get the ball vs. already having a head of steam and would be tackler diving at your waist.

    I'm not trying to defend NH when I say this, I just think that he is in a bad situation running behind this line and nobody to spell him to keep him fresh.
    They track yds before contact; JWill = 2.4 yds, Conner= 1.6 yds, NHarris =1.9 yds

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think part of the problem is defenses simply arenít afraid of our deep game so even thought they arenít ďin the boxĒ they are damn close.

    I will say Najee has been a bit disappointing once he gets to the second level, maybe because he is expecting contact but there are times he needs to make a man miss and he is trying to run through guys.
    noticed this as well. He doesn't have the moves to make guys miss. Doesn't really have the speed to outrun guys either. TBH, he's a lot like Conner, but with better vision for holes and so far hasn't had the injuries.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    They track yds before contact; JWill = 2.4 yds, Conner= 1.6 yds, NHarris =1.9 yds

    noticed this as well. He doesn't have the moves to make guys miss. Doesn't really have the speed to outrun guys either. TBH, he's a lot like Conner, but with better vision for holes and so far hasn't had the injuries.
    I think he's kind of the way I remember Priest Holmes.

    A guy that gets his average on most carries. Not many big runs. Not many losses. Just really consistent.

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    My biggest concern with Harris is "Overuse". Would love to see what he could do behind an average run blocking line.

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think he's kind of the way I remember Priest Holmes.

    A guy that gets his average on most carries. Not many big runs. Not many losses. Just really consistent.
    Good comparison. Holmes when healthy was a 1200+ yd back. Was a good one for KC for a few years.

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Good comparison. Holmes when healthy was a 1200+ yd back. Was a good one for KC for a few years.
    Hopefully we have a good OL next year. Because I think we'll run even more.

    Maybe we'll even learn how to distribute carries.

    I agree with you that Harris' starts are driven by touches. He'll read like that too, especially in his last 2 years with us.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •