Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 70

Thread: BIG BEN and TOMLIN

  1. #51
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Mike Tomlin is going to coach as long as he wants. I like Mike Tomlin. I think he would make a great Governor but he may be too honest.
    That being said, it seems he may not be demanding enough of his own players. Those backups in the defensive backfield Sunday night didn't know their a** from the hole in the ground about what defense they were in. That's on the coaching.

    Mike Tomlin has let Ben have his way for his career. That was a smart move. Sometimes good leaders can let talent lead the way and get the credit for it.
    I think that is why we played man so much and Herbert was able to run for almost 100 yards.

    In zone these guys were lost.. but it man it looks like they were covering well.. maybe too well since no one had eyes on Herbert.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  2. #52
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    I think Tomlin will stick around after Ben. And I look forward to seeing what veteran QB is brought in. But that said, I really don't want to see a carousel of QB's like we had between Bradshaw and Ben. We need a legit Franchise QB after Ben.

    It pains me to see that it looks as though Belichick struck gold in the QB draft again. He/they seem to have a knack for QB's like we do with receivers.

  3. #53
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    What IS time?

    Time is merely a social construct.

    Is 5 years to us really 5 years to Steel Maniac?

    Apparently 11 years is actually 10 years based on his math..

    but what IS math?

    Isn’t math a social construct as well?
    time is whatever Steel Maniac chooses it to be to fit his current narrative.

    however, his narratives just like his math and predictions are time based.

    and time depends on his agenda, which is always a social construct in his delusional mind.

    but it's important to remember that his agendas and social constructs are also time based, unless Steel Maniac doesn't want them be of course.
    Steel Maniac when he's wrong: "My predictions are time based." lmao

  4. #54
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Mike Tomlin has let Ben have his way for his career. That was a smart move. Sometimes good leaders can let talent lead the way and get the credit for it.
    I don't know about that. I think that if Ben had his say then BA would still be the OC. But since that is not an option, maybe we would still see Coach Randy.

  5. #55
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    time is whatever Steel Maniac chooses it to be to fit his current narrative.

    however, his narratives just like his math and predictions are time based.

    and time depends on his agenda, which is always a social construct in his delusional mind.

    but it's important to remember that his agendas and social constructs are also time based, unless Steel Maniac doesn't want them be of course.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - SM

  6. #56
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    I tend to avoid the Tomlin thing, but inevitably it always comes back to it.

    It's really quite unfortunate. I have my problems with Coach Tomlin...lot's of them but I don't dismiss his good qualities...lots of them as well.

    This notion of Cowher's players, Tomlin's players is really just a bit myopic. They were Tom Donahoe/Colbert and Cowher's players vs Colbert/Tomlin players. Frankly, the biggest reason Cowher/Tomlin both have had success is because someone overrode Cowher and took Big Ben. That would've been Cowher's decision. Because he was vetoed...he gets a big pass.

    That said I loved Bill Cowher...but he also had numerous flaws as well.

    I don't need to go through it all (there are plenty of you all on both sides to do that until the end of days)...

    But Felt (only because of your signature line...not singling you out) and others are right...he ain't going anywhere. Unless he chooses. So you are free to complain about it and pump your chest when the 16-16 tie occurs when Tomlin's team underachievesand then stay silent when they thump the #1 seed 24-7 later in the season. You can find another team, or you can just enjoy the last days of Big Ben. (I hope they are but am a bit concerned - more on that in the future).

    I will issue the warning now...this is not the same franchise that it was in the prior Rooneys (Art/Dan). They do not necessarily have the same wisdom. I state this because having is often not as satisfying as wanting.

    Pitt Basketball under Dixon was always a reliable tournament team...but they were never going to amount to anything more than a 1st/2nd round exit. Oh sure once in a blue moon he would get them to the sweet 16 but more often than not they would lose to a lower seeded team, often underachieving.

    I once stated to my brother...they need to move on from him, they are not going to get any better. Well they decided to move on...and now they have had a string of horrible coaches. Even some that seemed like great hires at the time (Capel from Duke) has become a disaster.

    Be careful of what you wish for...I have no crystal ball but, you all that don't like Tomlin criticize the front office and their ineptitude. What makes you think they have the capacity to make the right hire given that opinion?

    Well I apologize as I have added absolutely nothing to this topic. And while I feel a bit like Switzerland (honestly if Tomlin stays fine/if he left I am not as fine, but I am not so enamored with him that the world would end).

    I just don't see the point in spending the time in debating a coach that is not going anywhere.

    Thanks in advance for reading,
    Brothervad
    first lets get the Pitt Bb out of the way. I thought dixon left for greener pastures? that's what i thought happened although I can be totally wrong.
    also, they were iirc a basket away from the final 4. when nova drove down the lenght of the court for a lay up with seconds left.
    again iirc, nova won the title that year and they beat nova in the regular season.
    that's isn't too far from the top. but likely their ceiling. better then most I would say


    okay, on to the stillers. re: Tomlin staying here as long as he wants
    Not sure about that
    I put myself on the season ticket list years ago. i got an email this summer of available season tickets, the first email ever of its kind.
    I actually thought about it, but decided I would wait and perhaps in a year or two go for it as long as some things solidified for me here in NJ.
    I was surprised to see what I consider good seats become available so close to the season. I figured they were mostly due to covid with people questioning their disposable income in these times.

    Now fast forward to next summer. you can say what you want about big ben, but once he's not here you lose a big meal ticket.
    the same scenario comes up with the season ticket holders to re up, and now they're staring at a season with mason starting at QB

    Do you keep sending in a few grand to watch that product?

    a few empty seats in the building and the owner may want to change some plans. it all comes down to money
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 11-24-2021 at 01:18 AM.

  7. #57
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    okay, on to the stillers. re: Tomlin staying here as long as he wants
    Not sure about that
    I put myself on the season ticket list years ago. i got an email this summer of available season tickets, the first email ever of its kind.
    I actually thought about it, but decided I would wait and perhaps in a year or two go for it as long as some things solidified for me here in NJ.
    I was surprised to see what I consider good seats become available so close to the season. I figured they were mostly due to covid with people questioning their disposable income in these times.

    Now fast forward to next summer. you can say what you want about big ben, but once he's not here you lose a big meal ticket.
    the same scenario comes up with the season ticket holders to re up, and now they're staring at a season with mason starting at QB

    Do you keep sending in a few grand to watch that product?

    a few empty seats in the building and the owner may want to change some plans. it all comes down to money
    I would bet a lot of $$$ that Tomlin stays at least until his contract expires at the end of the 2024 season.
    Steel Maniac when he's wrong: "My predictions are time based." lmao

  8. #58
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    time is whatever Steel Maniac chooses it to be to fit his current narrative.

    however, his narratives just like his math and predictions are time based.

    and time depends on his agenda, which is always a social construct in his delusional mind.

    but it's important to remember that his agendas and social constructs are also time based, unless Steel Maniac doesn't want them be of course.
    Maybe he’s Buddhist or Hebrew which have calendars that are 100s and 1000s of years ahead of us.

    Maybe he lives in AZ and gets confused by DST. Maybe he doesn’t live in AZ and observes DST and just hasn’t figured out how and when to turn the clock forward and backward. Maybe Europe starting DST a few weeks after the US has fudged some things up.

    The social part of time being a social construct means half the people in the world just don’t feel like your construct makes sense so they’re gonna work off their own construct that they heard about on the news or FB.

    Just because commerce needs to agree on time doesn’t mean cultures do. Go back and re-watch Back to the Future and you’ll get it.

    I hope the Steelers win 7 so yinz can have a beer together and become BFFs. I have a weird feeling you’d be good friends in real life if you ever met. Just a hunch.

  9. #59
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    first lets get the Pitt Bb out of the way. I thought dixon left for greener pastures? that's what i thought happened although I can be totally wrong.
    also, they were iirc a basket away from the final 4. when nova drove down the lenght of the court for a lay up with seconds left.
    again iirc, nova won the title that year and they beat nova in the regular season.
    that's isn't too far from the top. but likely their ceiling. better then most I would say


    okay, on to the stillers. re: Tomlin staying here as long as he wants
    Not sure about that
    I put myself on the season ticket list years ago. i got an email this summer of available season tickets, the first email ever of its kind.
    I actually thought about it, but decided I would wait and perhaps in a year or two go for it as long as some things solidified for me here in NJ.
    I was surprised to see what I consider good seats become available so close to the season. I figured they were mostly due to covid with people questioning their disposable income in these times.

    Now fast forward to next summer. you can say what you want about big ben, but once he's not here you lose a big meal ticket.
    the same scenario comes up with the season ticket holders to re up, and now they're staring at a season with mason starting at QB

    Do you keep sending in a few grand to watch that product?

    a few empty seats in the building and the owner may want to change some plans. it all comes down to money
    That's an interesting take.

    If that wait list starts to get too short, I think there would be lots of pressure to make changes.

    I hope that doesn't happen, because I think lots of teams that make offseason decisions to sell tickets make big mistakes (ie huge UFA contracts for guys that don't pan out)

    I hope you end up being able to get the tickets in the future. I think it would be awesome... Although I'm too cheap to do it myself.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 11-24-2021 at 07:01 AM.

  10. #60
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I would bet a lot of $$$ that Tomlin stays at least until his contract expires at the end of the 2024 season.
    Tomlin's not going anywhere

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •