Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 70

Thread: BIG BEN and TOMLIN

  1. #41
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steel Maniac's math is time based....lmao

    Boom.....................
    What IS time?

    Time is merely a social construct.

    Is 5 years to us really 5 years to Steel Maniac?

    Apparently 11 years is actually 10 years based on his math..

    but what IS math?

    Isn’t math a social construct as well?
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  2. #42
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I tend to avoid the Tomlin thing, but inevitably it always comes back to it.

    It's really quite unfortunate. I have my problems with Coach Tomlin...lot's of them but I don't dismiss his good qualities...lots of them as well.

    This notion of Cowher's players, Tomlin's players is really just a bit myopic. They were Tom Donahoe/Colbert and Cowher's players vs Colbert/Tomlin players. Frankly, the biggest reason Cowher/Tomlin both have had success is because someone overrode Cowher and took Big Ben. That would've been Cowher's decision. Because he was vetoed...he gets a big pass.

    That said I loved Bill Cowher...but he also had numerous flaws as well.

    I don't need to go through it all (there are plenty of you all on both sides to do that until the end of days)...

    But Felt (only because of your signature line...not singling you out) and others are right...he ain't going anywhere. Unless he chooses. So you are free to complain about it and pump your chest when the 16-16 tie occurs when Tomlin's team underachievesand then stay silent when they thump the #1 seed 24-7 later in the season. You can find another team, or you can just enjoy the last days of Big Ben. (I hope they are but am a bit concerned - more on that in the future).

    I will issue the warning now...this is not the same franchise that it was in the prior Rooneys (Art/Dan). They do not necessarily have the same wisdom. I state this because having is often not as satisfying as wanting.

    Pitt Basketball under Dixon was always a reliable tournament team...but they were never going to amount to anything more than a 1st/2nd round exit. Oh sure once in a blue moon he would get them to the sweet 16 but more often than not they would lose to a lower seeded team, often underachieving.

    I once stated to my brother...they need to move on from him, they are not going to get any better. Well they decided to move on...and now they have had a string of horrible coaches. Even some that seemed like great hires at the time (Capel from Duke) has become a disaster.

    Be careful of what you wish for...I have no crystal ball but, you all that don't like Tomlin criticize the front office and their ineptitude. What makes you think they have the capacity to make the right hire given that opinion?

    Well I apologize as I have added absolutely nothing to this topic. And while I feel a bit like Switzerland (honestly if Tomlin stays fine/if he left I am not as fine, but I am not so enamored with him that the world would end).

    I just don't see the point in spending the time in debating a coach that is not going anywhere.

    Thanks in advance for reading,
    Brothervad
    Last edited by brothervad; 11-23-2021 at 12:33 PM.

  3. #43
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    I tend to avoid the Tomlin thing, but inevitably it always comes back to it.

    It's really quite unfortunate. I have my problems with Coach Tomlin...lot's of them but I don't dismiss his good qualities...lots of them as well.

    This notion of Cowher's players, Tomlin's players is really just a bit myopic. They were Tom Donahoe/Colbert and Cowher's players vs Colbert/Tomlin players. Frankly, the biggest reason Cowher/Tomlin both have had success is because someone overrode Cowher and took Big Ben. That would've been Cowher's decision. Because he was vetoed...he gets a big pass.

    That said I loved Bill Cowher...but he also had numerous flaws as well.

    I don't need to go through it all (there are plenty of you all on both sides to do that until the end of days)...

    But Felt (only because of your signature line...not singling you out) and others are right...he ain't going anywhere. Unless he chooses. So you are free to complain about it and pump your chest when the 16-16 tie occurs when Tomlin's team underachievesand then stay silent when they thump the #1 seed 24-7 later in the season. You can find another team, or you can just enjoy the last days of Big Ben. (I hope they are but am a bit concerned - more on that in the future).

    I will issue the warning now...this is not the same franchise that it was in the prior Rooneys (Art/Dan). They do not necessarily have the same wisdom. I state this because having is often not as satisfying as wanting.

    Pitt Basketball under Dixon was always a reliable tournament team...but they were never going to amount to anything more than a 1st/2nd round exit. Oh sure once in a blue moon he would get them to the sweet 16 but more often than not they would lose to a lower seeded team, often underachieving.

    I once stated to my brother...they need to move on from him, they are not going to get any better. Well they decided to move on...and now they have had a string of horrible coaches. Even some that seemed like great hires at the time (Capel from Duke) has become a disaster.

    Be careful of what you wish for...I have no crystal ball but, you all that don't like Tomlin criticize the front office and their ineptitude. What makes you think they have the capacity to make the right hire given that opinion?

    Well I apologize as I have added absolutely nothing to this topic. And while I feel a bit like Switzerland (honestly if Tomlin stays fine/if he left I am not as fine, but I am not so enamored with him that the world would end).

    I just don't see the point in spending the time in debating a coach that is not going anywhere.

    Thanks in advance for reading,
    Brothervad
    You're right, Tomlin is not going anywhere ... unless and until he chooses to. I wouldn't be too surprised, though, if he decides to leave right after Ben retires (assuming the Steelers don't sign a veteran franchise-type QB at that point). You know he could get a nice job in broadcasting in a minute.

  4. #44
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    I tend to avoid the Tomlin thing, but inevitably it always comes back to it.

    It's really quite unfortunate. I have my problems with Coach Tomlin...lot's of them but I don't dismiss his good qualities...lots of them as well.

    This notion of Cowher's players, Tomlin's players is really just a bit myopic. They were Tom Donahoe/Colbert and Cowher's players vs Colbert/Tomlin players. Frankly, the biggest reason Cowher/Tomlin both have had success is because someone overrode Cowher and took Big Ben. That would've been Cowher's decision. Because he was vetoed...he gets a big pass.

    That said I loved Bill Cowher...but he also had numerous flaws as well.

    I don't need to go through it all (there are plenty of you all on both sides to do that until the end of days)...

    But Felt (only because of your signature line...not singling you out) and others are right...he ain't going anywhere. Unless he chooses. So you are free to complain about it and pump your chest when the 16-16 tie occurs when Tomlin's team underachievesand then stay silent when they thump the #1 seed 24-7 later in the season. You can find another team, or you can just enjoy the last days of Big Ben. (I hope they are but am a bit concerned - more on that in the future).

    I will issue the warning now...this is not the same franchise that it was in the prior Rooneys (Art/Dan). They do not necessarily have the same wisdom. I state this because having is often not as satisfying as wanting.

    Pitt Basketball under Dixon was always a reliable tournament team...but they were never going to amount to anything more than a 1st/2nd round exit. Oh sure once in a blue moon he would get them to the sweet 16 but more often than not they would lose to a lower seeded team, often underachieving.

    I once stated to my brother...they need to move on from him, they are not going to get any better. Well they decided to move on...and now they have had a string of horrible coaches. Even some that seemed like great hires at the time (Capel from Duke) has become a disaster.

    Be careful of what you wish for...I have no crystal ball but, you all that don't like Tomlin criticize the front office and their ineptitude. What makes you think they have the capacity to make the right hire given that opinion?

    Well I apologize as I have added absolutely nothing to this topic. And while I feel a bit like Switzerland (honestly if Tomlin stays fine/if he left I am not as fine, but I am not so enamored with him that the world would end).

    I just don't see the point in spending the time in debating a coach that is not going anywhere.

    Thanks in advance for reading,
    Brothervad
    I’m a Tomlin supporter.. my sig is a dig
    at a “time based” prediction that didn’t come true.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  5. #45
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by KYPITTFAN View Post
    Taking a 15 yard pass 80 yards on the first play of overtime will tend to make you look better than the other teams QB.
    I agree that players making plays is what makes for good games for those players. Or that other players missing plays makes for bad games for those players. That's a big part of why I think players are much more important than coaching (which is also still important).

    And based on the turnover ratio above, I wish the important plays our guys were making in the playoffs were more about protecting the ball when we have it and taking it away when we don't.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 11-23-2021 at 01:26 PM.

  6. #46
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You're right, Tomlin is not going anywhere ... unless and until he chooses to. I wouldn't be too surprised, though, if he decides to leave right after Ben retires (assuming the Steelers don't sign a veteran franchise-type QB at that point). You know he could get a nice job in broadcasting in a minute.
    Given his age and job security I would be surprised if he left after Ben.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  7. #47
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I’m a Tomlin supporter.. my sig is a dig
    at a “time based” prediction that didn’t come true.
    I know you are...and I was just suggesting your statement in your sig is spot on...he is going to come back and he is going to leave on his terms. It would take a collapse of epic proportions over multiple seasons. Cowher survived 1998/1999 of 7-9 and 6-10 and a subsequent 6-10 in 2003. I think it will take much more than that to see any efforts to dismiss Mike Tomlin. I said pick on you because your sig was the only one I could remember off the top of my head and I thought it was appropriate for the topic.

  8. #48
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    ...
    I will issue the warning now...this is not the same franchise that it was in the prior Rooneys (Art/Dan). They do not necessarily have the same wisdom. I state this because having is often not as satisfying as wanting.
    ...
    Thanks Brothervad

    I agree with the vast majority of what you've written.

    The only thing I'd point out is that people said the same (as above) about Dan before the Super Bowls.

    The narrative I remember about us winning the SBs was something like: "Thank God we've got Art II running the show behind the scenes now. Dan's too soft and doesn't really want to win."

    Probably neither of the two narratives are correct.

  9. #49
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Thanks Brothervad

    I agree with the vast majority of what you've written.

    The only thing I'd point out is that people said the same (as above) about Dan before the Super Bowls.

    The narrative I remember about us winning the SBs was something like: "Thank God we've got Art II running the show behind the scenes now. Dan's too soft and doesn't really want to win."

    Probably neither of the two narratives are correct.
    yep, if all a person cares about is SB’s they must be fans of torture.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  10. #50
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Mike Tomlin is going to coach as long as he wants. I like Mike Tomlin. I think he would make a great Governor but he may be too honest.
    That being said, it seems he may not be demanding enough of his own players. Those backups in the defensive backfield Sunday night didn't know their a** from the hole in the ground about what defense they were in. That's on the coaching.

    Mike Tomlin has let Ben have his way for his career. That was a smart move. Sometimes good leaders can let talent lead the way and get the credit for it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •