Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BIG BEN and TOMLIN

Backup

User Info Menu

BIG BEN and TOMLIN

Just so I can put my thoughts into one post. Tomlin is not the reason for last night's loss but he has been the head coach for the last 5 seasons. During those 5 seasons we have not won any playoff games (this year is not looking good). It is highly possible we will have a 6 year run with no playoff wins. I am tired of hearing about his total wins. We need a change. We need fresh blood and new thinking. Tomlin needs to go. Now for Ben. He has clearly lost some skill, mainly in arm strength and mobility. That being said he and Cam was the only reason we had a chance. Ben can still ball! I am now ready to move on with the post Big Ben error but it will be tough and a lot of you will be saying I wished Ben was still here.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And it may be worse, only 3 playoff wins in 10 years. Time to admit we're going through a rebuild. And when Ben hangs it up, it'll probably get worse before it gets better.

Be careful what yo wish for. New Head Coach "blood" doesn't necessairly translate into playoff success. The WFT hasn't won a playoff game in 14 years and has only won 2 playoff games in 28 years, despite going through 12 head coaches in that period.

Most football cities would give anything for Tomlin and the success we've had since he's been here and the stability of the franchise.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

this o-line is atrocious... that was (and has been) the problem for the last 2-3 seasons... it's the reason for the quick passes and sucky running game (even though we know Najee has ridiculous talent)
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post

Most football cities would give anything for Tomlin and the success we've had since he's been here and the stability of the franchise.
    Do you think we could haul in a lot of good draft picks in a trade for him?

Not saying we should do that, but just wondering.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    this o-line is atrocious... that was (and has been) the problem for the last 2-3 seasons... it's the reason for the quick passes and sucky running game (even though we know Najee has ridiculous talent)
    I agree with this. If you study the offense it really hasn't changed all that much from last season. Quick short passes from the QB. Moore for AV, Green for Pouncey, Harris for Conner, Turner for DeCastro, Muth for McDonald.

Only two are clear upgrades (although some could argue Conner could do what Harris has. But I guarantee he'd be on IR by now.)

Legend

User Info Menu

I would like to see a full rebuild of the offense before pulling the plug on Tomlin.

Hopefully the football gods smile upon us and we find an average to above average QB on a rookie deal.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    And it may be worse, only 3 playoff wins in 10 years. Time to admit we're going through a rebuild. And when Ben hangs it up, it'll probably get worse before it gets better.

Be careful what yo wish for. New Head Coach "blood" doesn't necessairly translate into playoff success. The WFT hasn't won a playoff game in 14 years and has only won 2 playoff games in 28 years, despite going through 12 head coaches in that period.

Your right. But if you got a head coach who can't win a playoff game no matter how stacked the team is, you just don't sit there with it and be content. Sometimes you have to take a step back to go two steps forward.

We were favored to win the AFC and be in the super Bowl 5 years out of the last 11 and couldn't get there.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 11-22-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 11 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 4 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I would like to see a full rebuild of the offense before pulling the plug on Tomlin.

Hopefully the football gods smile upon us and we find an average to above average QB on a rookie deal.
    Finding a legit QB is going to have a lot to do with determining the direction of this franchise over the next decade. And the competition for a legit QB is going to be fierce as well.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 11-22-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 11 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 4 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Backup

User Info Menu

Top four off season priorities. 1) QB 2) Offensive line 3) Defensive backs 4) Coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Your right. But if you got a head coach who can't win a playoff game no matter how stacked the team is, you just don't sit there with it and be content. Sometimes you have to take a step back to go two steps forward.
    I think the issue is the definition of “stacked” is a bit romanticized on here.

We aren’t a stacked team. However, I don’t believe you need to be stacked to win a playoff game. You have to protect the ball and generate turnovers.

We haven’t done that in a long time in the playoffs.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?