Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If They only had an Offense

Legend

User Info Menu

If They only had an Offense

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mKs9Q8][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2mKs9Q8]Capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2mKs9Q8][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2mKs9Q8]Capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr
    Pretty impressive, all things considered. I also read somewhere that the Steelers are the only team in the NFL right now that hasn’t committed a defensive pass interference penalty. Not sure if that’s necessarily a good thing or a bad thing.
    Obviously the standard is the standard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Pretty impressive, all things considered. I also read somewhere that the Steelers are the only team in the NFL right now that hasn’t committed a defensive pass interference penalty. Not sure if that’s necessarily a good thing or a bad thing.
    Clearly Tomlin's fault for failing to coach aggressiveness in the secondary.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It really is a shame how long we've had a top tier defense without a reasonable offense to go with it. I'm sure the defense is what helped convince Ben to keep playing. All the offense has to be is decent and we're going to win alot of games. But sadly, the offense has been putting up well below decent performances.

It's a lot for the offense to deal with this year. Ben isn't Big Ben of old. He's mostly just old now, but flashes signs of better-than-Rudolph play. The OL is young and green and makes a lot of mistakes. Receivers are decent but lost Juju and clearly lacks talent when Claypool either isn't there or can't win the contested catches. DJ is the only one that stands out and even he found a way to let down the offense last week. At least Najee and Muth are stars in the making.

There's still enough there to be hopeful each week. We have not been blown out by anyone (Bungles beat us by 14) and I really hope every game is competitive.

Rats were blown out by the Bungles
    Clowns were blown out by the Cards and Cheaters
    Bungles were blown out by Clowns

By the same token, we have NOT blown anyone else out.
    Rats blew out the Donks, Chargers
    Clowns blew out the Bears and Bungles
    Bungles blew out the Lions and Rats

Tells me that we have the best defense in the AFC N but the most erratic offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Four Downs: Steelers pass more in the red zone than any NFL team

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021

https://triblive.com/sports/four-dow...-any-nfl-team/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Four Downs: Steelers pass more in the red zone than any NFL team

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021

https://triblive.com/sports/four-dow...-any-nfl-team/
    It all boils down to execution. Pass or run it boils down to execution. There is nothing wrong with passing more in the red zone. After all, more points are produced because of the passing game in the NFL. The problem generally boils down to execution whether a team runs or passes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Won't be surprised if this streak gets broken this week.

Long road trip.

Injuries to key players on D.

Either Mason (with practice) at QB or Ben (with no practice), so our O probably doesn't keep their O off the field.

And the Chargers should have a good O (even if it hasn't come through for them all that much).

But hopefully we can keep the streak alive.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Steelers had more offensive production then teams would attempt to find ways to limit offensive production or attempt to find ways to win games. This is what professionals attempt to accomplish. Have a plan, implement/teach that plan, and ultimately execute the plan. Different and often times unforeseen variables ruin any good plan. Especially when not executed according to plan. This is sports.

I wish I had the opportunity to learn or potentially offer my input on an NFL game planning session. I know I'd probably look foolish because of my lack of experience. But fans think they have all the answers.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 11-20-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    It really is a shame how long we've had a top tier defense without a reasonable offense to go with it. I'm sure the defense is what helped convince Ben to keep playing. All the offense has to be is decent and we're going to win alot of games. But sadly, the offense has been putting up well below decent performances.

It's a lot for the offense to deal with this year. Ben isn't Big Ben of old. He's mostly just old now, but flashes signs of better-than-Rudolph play. The OL is young and green and makes a lot of mistakes. Receivers are decent but lost Juju and clearly lacks talent when Claypool either isn't there or can't win the contested catches. DJ is the only one that stands out and even he found a way to let down the offense last week. At least Najee and Muth are stars in the making.

There's still enough there to be hopeful each week. We have not been blown out by anyone (Bungles beat us by 14) and I really hope every game is competitive.

Rats were blown out by the Bungles
    Clowns were blown out by the Cards and Cheaters
    Bungles were blown out by Clowns

By the same token, we have NOT blown anyone else out.
    Rats blew out the Donks, Chargers
    Clowns blew out the Bears and Bungles
    Bungles blew out the Lions and Rats

Tells me that we have the best defense in the AFC N but the most erratic offense.
    Solid points.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    If the Steelers had more offensive production then teams would attempt to find ways to limit offensive production or attempt to find ways to win games. This is what professionals attempt to accomplish. Have a plan, implement/teach that plan, and ultimately execute the plan. Different and often times unforeseen variables ruin any good plan. Especially when not executed according to plan. This is sports.

I wish I had the opportunity to learn or potentially offer my input on an NFL game planning session. I know I'd probably look foolish because of my lack of experience. But fans think they have all the answers.
    Your heart is in the right place ; appreciated.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.