Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 93

Thread: Deserves its Own Thread: Roethlisberger

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Roethlisberger's long-deteriorating arm strength has produced some wobbly, inaccurate floaters on many of his 31 downfield throws this season in a Pittsburgh offense predicated on quick, short passes to Najee Harris, Diontae Johnson, and the team's tight ends. Roethlisberger's downfield passing woes have had an outsized impact on Chase Claypool, he has caught just three of 10 targets over 20 yards downfield for 99 yards and a touchdown through seven games. On Sunday against Cleveland, Claypool saw just one deep shot from Roethlisberger.
    I keep reading about Ben's lack of arm strength and I really don't see it with my eyes. The strength looks to be there in my opinion. It's certainly not the lack of strength that Peyton Manning had at the end. And he was the king of "wobbly". Ben is struggling with deep ball accuracy yes, but he's never had the deep ball of Russell Wilson.

  2. #12
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Honestly the only team you can even potentially categorize in the suckitude column to date is the Wilson-less Seahawks.

    All others pretty impressive.

    Now the next two opponents can qualify as "sucky" but even that is not absolute as the Lions have played pretty much everyone tight (didn't the Ravens have to bomb a last second FG to win?)

  3. #13
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Honestly the only team you can even potentially categorize in the suckitude column to date is the Wilson-less Seahawks.

    All others pretty impressive.

    Now the next two opponents can qualify as "sucky" but even that is not absolute as the Lions have played pretty much everyone tight (didn't the Ravens have to bomb a last second FG to win?)
    and the Seahawks were 2-3 WITH Wilson.

    but I don’t think they suck with Geno, our D definitely had something to do with how bad he played. Their ground game didn’t suck.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  4. #14
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Chase Claypool is the fastest WR. Why he & Ben can't connect I don't know. I think as the season progresses and Ben gets more confident in the OL there will be more deep ball connections.
    His arm strength is there. You people have bought into this Ben is done crap. I have never seen such negative reporting on a QB while he is playing. He is the Steelers only option. I say he gets better as the season goes along. With Muth emerging and Najee becoming a Bellcow, the deep ball will open up. People this just gets better. I have faith in Ben. He is a good QB. We will be stacking wins.

  5. #15
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Chase Claypool is the fastest WR. Why he & Ben can't connect I don't know. I think as the season progresses and Ben gets more confident in the OL there will be more deep ball connections.
    His arm strength is there. You people have bought into this Ben is done crap. I have never seen such negative reporting on a QB while he is playing. He is the Steelers only option. I say he gets better as the season goes along. With Muth emerging and Najee becoming a Bellcow, the deep ball will open up. People this just gets better. I have faith in Ben. He is a good QB. We will be stacking wins.
    With as much runs, screens & short passes we throw defenses are all up in the box. We should have an easier time throwing long when we go that route then any other team because teams are playing up. So i disagree with you vehemently. It is Ben. All Ben that we can't connect long.

    And i disagree with you that we can't evaluate that WHILE HE IS PLAYING. We do with every other player & position.

  6. #16
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by LPMAN View Post
    With as much runs, screens & short passes we throw defenses are all up in the box. We should have an easier time throwing long when we go that route then any other team because teams are playing up. So i disagree with you vehemently. It is Ben. All Ben that we can't connect long.

    And i disagree with you that we can't evaluate that WHILE HE IS PLAYING. We do with every other player & position.
    Homey, I do like your adverbial passion in your disagreement, but what are your alternatives? Would you replace Ben with Mason? I suspect you are a young guy who has no remembrance of Big Ben being the man in our last two SB runs. Have faith grasshopper, Ben will come through once again.

  7. #17
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Homey, I do like your adverbial passion in your disagreement, but what are your alternatives? Would you replace Ben with Mason? I suspect you are a young guy who has no remembrance of Big Ben being the man in our last two SB runs. Have faith grasshopper, Ben will come through once again.
    I’m not mad at Ben’s game these last few weeks.. mostly because we are winning.

    But his deep ball leaves a lot to be desired. There was a time when Ben would go deep and I already had my hands up for a TD because I knew it was on point. It didn’t always happen but it happened a whole lot more than these last few years.

    I have faith our offense will be good enough to compete in most games because of the defense we have.. not because of our long ball.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  8. #18
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Chase Claypool is the fastest WR. Why he & Ben can't connect I don't know. I think as the season progresses and Ben gets more confident in the OL there will be more deep ball connections.
    His arm strength is there. You people have bought into this Ben is done crap. I have never seen such negative reporting on a QB while he is playing. He is the Steelers only option. I say he gets better as the season goes along. With Muth emerging and Najee becoming a Bellcow, the deep ball will open up. People this just gets better. I have faith in Ben. He is a good QB. We will be stacking wins.
    You must not have read comments on Favre at the end of his career.
    I agree with other posters. Roethlisberger's arm strength is not a problem. But accuracy is another story. But it's not all on him either.
    Claypool gets the least amount of separation of any of the Steeler WRs with significant targets. He frequently draws the #1 CB. He has trouble separating against press cover. So jam him at the line, disrupt timing and it's an incomplete pass. And while he leads all Steelers in explosive plays, he's 38th in the NFL in that category. And it's not like they aren't even trying because Roethlisberger is 10th in attempts >20 yds.
    So it's not a QB/WR partnership that has developed thus far. It's one of the great team mysteries kinda like how Mayfield can't seem to connect with OBJ.

    Draft profile says a lot:
    Strengths
    Claypool towers over defenders with his 6-foot-4-plus, 238-pound frame. He looks like a tight end but doesn't run like one. He has solid movement, from his get-off to his acceleration and top speed, all of which helps him get in position to jostle for contested catches, which he can win more times than not because of his gigantic size. He will undoubtedly be a matchup problem at the next level. Claypool ran a bunch of different routes and lined up everywhere at Notre Dame but specialized along the outside. Six of his touchdowns in 2019 came on deep throws. He's a good blocker with some highlight-reel pancake blocks on his resume. He also appears to be an athlete of high character, which will buy brownie points with some front offices.

    Concerns
    You might have been attracted to Claypool's 4.42 speed in the 40-yard dash, but he simply does not play at that speed very often. Additionally, Claypool's footwork in his route running is inconsistent which may not be correctable given his size. There are times where he stops on a dime and turns back toward the ball with the grace of a 5-10 receiver, and there are times where he needs a new set of brakes when decelerating, taking way too many steps to change directions. But perhaps the diciest part of Claypool's game is his hands. Though he's nailed the over-the-shoulder catch and is unafraid to cross the field, there are many moments where it appears Claypool fights the ball before securing it.
    So it seems he has things he needed to work on and hopefully this will improve as he gets more experience.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 11-02-2021 at 02:12 PM.

  9. #19
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Homey, I do like your adverbial passion in your disagreement, but what are your alternatives? Would you replace Ben with Mason? I suspect you are a young guy who has no remembrance of Big Ben being the man in our last two SB runs. Have faith grasshopper, Ben will come through once again.
    No don't get me wrong. There is no alternatives. Ben is a hall of fame QB who even with diminishing skills is our best option for the rest of this year.

  10. #20
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    1 Gentry
    2 Watt

    Imagine the monster deal for a guy even better than Watt.
    I liked Gentry when they drafted him, even though most people didn't. He is a talented receiver. He has good hands and moves athletically with good head and shoulder fakes.
    i could see the potential in the college tape.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •