Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We traded up for a first rd guy who can’t tackle, can’t shed a one on one block and is continually out of position. He’s the damn definition of liability. If a legitimate argument can be made to replace the 10th pick of the draft with an undrafted guy from a smaller college (and it’s a legit argument) than it’s a big issue.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Average career length in the NFL is just over 3 years.

He's not going to end his career yet (too much athletic ability and pedigree is attractive), but I don't think we'll pay for his option. And I was a big fan of doing the option in the off season.

Despite all the talk about cap space, I don't think we have all that much to go around given all the openings on the roster. And we don't have a ton of draft capital either.

He'll get next year to see if he can bounce back. But it's not a good look to be losing snaps to Spillane at this point.
    I don't know if the organization will pay for his option or not.

Butler stated, https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-bush-schobert

The psychological and physical impact of injuries is real. Probably more so for inexperienced players.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 11-24-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I don't know if the organization will pay for his option or not.

Butler stated, https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-bush-schobert

The psychological and physical impact of injuries is real. Probably more so for inexperienced players.
    Maybe the team needs to hire a shrink?

Somebody like AB comes along, they'd wear out the poor psychologist.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Sounds as though the team needs to hire a shrink to our staff.
    Nah. I don't care who you are. Suffer a physical injury and sometimes individuals are never the same. Coming off a serious injury and being expected to perform at the highest level? The Steelers understand. This is why the Steelers have patience with Bush.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Maybe the team needs to hire a shrink?

Somebody like AB comes along, they'd wear out the poor psychologist.
    I can simply see you don't understand the set of circumstances at play. AB and Bush are two completely different situations. Tomlin "managed" AB to get the best out of him.

Injury situations from players are different. It's physical and psychological. Who knows when Bush might be comfortable as an NFL caliber player? Maybe it will never happen? The Steelers investment in him will give him some leeway considering his youth and the injury he suffered.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Any player coming of an injury is going to be apprehensive.
    Team wanted him to be the next Ryan Shazier... dude gets hurt and maybe the kid is not so excited to be the next Shazier.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    If in August anyone said that they were expecting Bush to pick off where he left off prior to injury I would have said that expectation is unreasonable. I have no problem throwing him under the bus and calling it a wasted pick (or three picks) but I'll wait until next year before making that claim.
    I agree that he might still turn out to be an average to above average player.

But we have to make the decision on the 5th year option after this season.

If this was last year, I would probably have thought we would exercise the option anyway (like we did with Bud). But I think that the new option pricing has changed the value of the 5th year option. And I think that's not good for borderline guys.

I think that's why we didn't do the option with Edmunds. And he was probably "better" than Bush at his position at this point in his career. Or at least he wasn't losing playing time to UDFAs (who aren't that good...so not like Harrison was a UDFA).

I don't think his career will be over after year 4. I think someone will sign him. Hopefully his play improves throughout this year and next season and we're the team that signs him. Heck...maybe he plays lights out next season and we franchise him.

But I don't think we'll pick up the option. I'm not sure if that qualifies a guy as a bust. But I think it does suggest that he hasn't yet lived up to expectations.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I agree that he might still turn out to be an average to above average player.

But we have to make the decision on the 5th year option after this season.

If this was last year, I would probably have thought we would exercise the option anyway (like we did with Bud). But I think that the new option pricing has changed the value of the 5th year option. And I think that's not good for borderline guys.

I think that's why we didn't do the option with Edmunds. And he was probably "better" than Bush at his position at this point in his career. Or at least he wasn't losing playing time to UDFAs (who aren't that good...so not like Harrison was a UDFA).

I don't think his career will be over after year 4. I think someone will sign him. Hopefully his play improves throughout this year and next season and we're the team that signs him. Heck...maybe he plays lights out next season and we franchise him.

But I don't think we'll pick up the option. I'm not sure if that qualifies a guy as a bust. But I think it does suggest that he hasn't yet lived up to expectations.
    Unfortunately it is a tough situation on the decision whether or not to exercise the option. If he was playing in his third full season, and this was all he had progressed, then the decision is easy. Now, the Steelers have to determine whether the poor play is due to lingering effects from the injuries or whether he actually sucks this badly. But this decision isn't about how he is playing today, it is about how you expect him to play in the 2023 season.

I think the complicating factor is how much they gave up to draft him, and because of that they will not want to admit defeat this soon. Because of that, my gut tells me that the team will exercise the option and pay him in 2023.

I often disagree with the bust label as it applies to guys who suffer an injury that either ends a career or changes the player's abilities. Jamain Stephens and Gabe Rivera are both considered busts. Stephens was fat and lazy. Rivera was in a career ending accident. Aside from the factors of drunk driving and passing on Marino, I don't consider the two to be equal when it comes to the term "bust". Stephens was a bust. Rivera was many disappointments rolled into one, but I wouldn't call him a bust, which I think is a term that should be more about an on-field failure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Unfortunately it is a tough situation on the decision whether or not to exercise the option. If he was playing in his third full season, and this was all he had progressed, then the decision is easy. Now, the Steelers have to determine whether the poor play is due to lingering effects from the injuries or whether he actually sucks this badly. But this decision isn't about how he is playing today, it is about how you expect him to play in the 2023 season.

I think the complicating factor is how much they gave up to draft him, and because of that they will not want to admit defeat this soon. Because of that, my gut tells me that the team will exercise the option and pay him in 2023.

I often disagree with the bust label as it applies to guys who suffer an injury that either ends a career or changes the player's abilities. Jamain Stephens and Gabe Rivera are both considered busts. Stephens was fat and lazy. Rivera was in a career ending accident. Aside from the factors of drunk driving and passing on Marino, I don't consider the two to be equal when it comes to the term "bust". Stephens was a bust. Rivera was many disappointments rolled into one, but I wouldn't call him a bust, which I think is a term that should be more about an on-field failure.
    I agree that it would be better if he didn't have the injury so there was less uncertainty before the team has to make the decision.

I think Fitz's 5th year option will be up at the same time as Bush's 4th contract. And I won't be surprised if we end up using the tag on Minkah as leverage to negotiate a long term deal. So I don't know if we'll have the option of a tag for Bush if we don't exercise the 5th year option and he balls out next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's get Bush a full year into recovery before we flush him. What's the rush?
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"