Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 197

Thread: Bush

  1. #91
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I 100 percent tell you what they were thinking.

    They were thinking "just imagine what would this defense be like if Ryan Shazier never got hurt"?

    I would suggest defense could have been tops in the league last season EASY.

    Considering how close our last two playoff losses were as we got gashed in the run game both times, an elite middle linebacker is the ONE POSITION that could have made the biggest difference DESPITE the turnovers.

    We might have swung and missed, with Bush but THAT was the mindset.
    I think it was more like "look how God-awful our defense was in the playoffs without Shazier (or any mobile ILB). Then we tried to go another year with Bostic and Williams and we were 27th against the run. In today's NFL, I think we need at least one ILB that can make plays sideline to sideline." But that's probably just splitting hairs.

    But I agree that it was a desperation move to trade up for Bush. And it looked like a pretty good bet after year 1. Not so much since then (although he looked OK before the injury last year IIRC).

    Seems like something is very wrong with him this year. Maybe the injury changed his mindset, or his physical ability, or his trust in his physical ability, or something?

  2. #92
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think it was more like "look how God-awful our defense was in the playoffs without Shazier (or any mobile ILB). Then we tried to go another year with Bostic and Williams and we were 27th against the run. In today's NFL, I think we need at least one ILB that can make plays sideline to sideline." But that's probably just splitting hairs.

    But I agree that it was a desperation move to trade up for Bush. And it looked like a pretty good bet after year 1. Not so much since then (although he looked OK before the injury last year IIRC).

    Seems like something is very wrong with him this year. Maybe the injury changed his mindset, or his physical ability, or his trust in his physical ability, or something?
    Bush can run sideline to sideline. It's just that when he gets there that it is ugly...

  3. #93
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Any player coming of an injury is going to be apprehensive. Bush is only in his 2ndish/3rd season. 29 starts and 30 games as a pro.

    I understand that fans only want results. There is always a "psychological" element involved when it comes to injuries. Players are people. No one knows if and when a player can overcome the physical and psychological impacts of an injury. The Steelers will probably remain patient with him until the end of his rookie contract.

  4. #94
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Its a couple of factors, the injury obviously, but a lot has to do with the DL. Schobert and Bush are just getting beat up the whole game by o-linemen. Besides we did this with Shazier too, people were screaming hes to small he cant tackle he cant cover, and he turned out to be pretty good.

  5. #95
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Any player coming of an injury is going to be apprehensive. Bush is only in his 2ndish/3rd season. 29 starts and 30 games as a pro.

    I understand that fans only want results. There is always a "psychological" element involved when it comes to injuries. Players are people. No one knows if and when a player can overcome the physical and psychological impacts of an injury. The Steelers will probably remain patient with him until the end of his rookie contract.
    I agree burgh. Coming into the season, there were a few guys who I was taking a redshirt year approach with: Najee, Bush, Moore, Green.

    Najee because of the crap line in front of him
    Bush because he was coming off of an injury that takes everyone a year on the field to recover from - except for Adrian Peterson
    Moore and Green because they are rooks, and third and fourth round rookies normally do not impact the Oline year 1 - especially a fourth rounder playing the toughest position on the line and a third rounder with a position change.

    If in August anyone said that they were expecting Bush to pick off where he left off prior to injury I would have said that expectation is unreasonable. I have no problem throwing him under the bus and calling it a wasted pick (or three picks) but I'll wait until next year before making that claim.

  6. #96
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Its a couple of factors, the injury obviously, but a lot has to do with the DL. Schobert and Bush are just getting beat up the whole game by o-linemen. Besides we did this with Shazier too, people were screaming hes to small he cant tackle he cant cover, and he turned out to be pretty good.
    Don't remember Shazier getting those comments. I DO remember the injury prone comments early in his career. And why is Moats, a knowledgeable LB himself, saying Bush needs to sit? He's on the field at the detriment of the defense. He's a shell of his former rookie season. Let him sit and heal if that is what his problem is. At this point he isn't helping, he's hurting the team.

  7. #97
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Don't remember Shazier getting those comments. I DO remember the injury prone comments early in his career. And why is Moats, a knowledgeable LB himself, saying Bush needs to sit? He's on the field at the detriment of the defense. He's a shell of his former rookie season. Let him sit and heal if that is what his problem is. At this point he isn't helping, he's hurting the team.
    I dont think hes hurting the team, pretty much anyone you put a MLB is going to struggle behind that DL. Just look at Schobert he seems to be non exsistent for the most part. As opposed to when we had Tuitt and Alualu and Bush and Williams were making plays all over the field.

  8. #98
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Bush can run sideline to sideline. It's just that when he gets there that it is ugly...
    It's pretty unfortunate.

    I think that it's important to have at least one above average ILB. And Bush was supposed to be that guy.

    And we've got too much work to do on offense to spend big draft capital on ILB again.

    Misses in the draft hurt. Especially when you trade up.

  9. #99
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Any player coming of an injury is going to be apprehensive. Bush is only in his 2ndish/3rd season. 29 starts and 30 games as a pro.

    I understand that fans only want results. There is always a "psychological" element involved when it comes to injuries. Players are people. No one knows if and when a player can overcome the physical and psychological impacts of an injury. The Steelers will probably remain patient with him until the end of his rookie contract.
    Average career length in the NFL is just over 3 years.

    He's not going to end his career yet (too much athletic ability and pedigree is attractive), but I don't think we'll pay for his option. And I was a big fan of doing the option in the off season.

    Despite all the talk about cap space, I don't think we have all that much to go around given all the openings on the roster. And we don't have a ton of draft capital either.

    He'll get next year to see if he can bounce back. But it's not a good look to be losing snaps to Spillane at this point.

  10. #100
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I dont think hes hurting the team, pretty much anyone you put a MLB is going to struggle behind that DL. Just look at Schobert he seems to be non exsistent for the most part. As opposed to when we had Tuitt and Alualu and Bush and Williams were making plays all over the field.
    At this point, Bush is hurting the team. When he's constantly out of position and can't make tackles, he's hurting the team. I think you're right that he'd look a lot better behind a good DL, but you have to play the hand you're dealt, and right now, he's doing a crappy job of it. Maybe it's because he's not over the injury, but he's still hurting the team. It might be true that no MLB is going to look "great" behind our DL, but I think a good number of them would perform better than Bush is ... to do that, they'd only have to be in position and able to tackle. And remember, Bush wasn't some mid to late round selection but the #10 overall pick of the 2019 draft. He may have an excuse for being slow, but I can't see a valid excuse for the brain farts.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •