Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush

Legend

User Info Menu

Bush

Reading that Bush got yanked and replaced by Spillane during the last game. Per Butler, Spillane does some things better than the other guys. In my view Bush was a big reason why Seattle was able to run so easily against the defense.....Is it time to start worrying that the Steelers missed on this pick, or that he won't be the same player after the injury? We have yet to see him have a breakout game this season. I also question the highlighted strength. The tape doesn't lie.

Strengths
    • Excellent athleticism. Has the speed to be a true sideline to sideline player.
    • Fluid athlete, changes directions with ease.
    • Is comfortable in coverage. Has the athleticism and speed needed to be a successful cover linebacker. Can turn and run with receivers.
    • Dangerous as a blitzer thanks to his closing speed and smarts. Times his blitzes well.

• Mental processing is top notch. Rarely makes the incorrect reads and is always around the ball.

• Strong, efficient tackler who misses very few tackles.
    • Motor is hot and is a strong and active in pursuit

Concerns
    • Overall strength is not the best. At times can get eaten up by big, strong offensive linemen.
    • Struggles to get off blocks when linemen lock up with him.

• Size and physicality are limiting factors. May never be a great in the box defender.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Reading that Bush got yanked and replaced by Spillane during the last game. Per Butler, Spillane does some things better than the other guys. In my view Bush was a big reason why Seattle was able to run so easily against the defense.....Is it time to start worrying that the Steelers missed on this pick, or that he won't be the same player after the injury? We have yet to see him have a breakout game this season. I also question the highlighted strength. The tape doesn't lie.
    Also, in contrast to the scouting report you posted, in the Seahawk game Bush didn't look like a "strong, efficient tackler who misses very few tackles."

Legend

User Info Menu

Iím gonna be patient with Bush due to him coming back from injury + didnít he have a groin injury vs Denver?

I am a bit perplexed by why we are using Spillane on passing downs over both of our ILBs that are supposed to be good in coverage.

I like Spillane and am all for him getting reps as I see him as a hard worker, solid tackler, and just the kind of guy thatís under the radar and easy to root for. But Butler seems to always want to put Spillane into a position where heís gonna be left on an island vs a WR on a critical 3rd down. Hasnít happened this season, but I have flash backs every time I see him out there on clear passing downs.

Thatís the real question though. How the heck did Spillane become this 3rd down dime package LB? That seems like the last place weíd use him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Bush is a guy who can probably be good to very good if he can be kept clean.

But Heyward (who is awesome) can't do that by himself. I bet Bush starts to look a lot better once Tuitt comes back. And I think he might be the guy most impacted by the loss of Alualu.

Would be nice if we could find a cheap space eating NT that doesn't get the counting stats for a reasonable price in UFA next offseason. Ideally I'd like to try to draft a guy like that in the mid-rounds, but we haven't hit on that recently and we don't have mid-round picks this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I’m gonna be patient with Bush due to him coming back from injury + didn’t he have a groin injury vs Denver?

I am a bit perplexed by why we are using Spillane on passing downs over both of our ILBs that are supposed to be good in coverage.

I like Spillane and am all for him getting reps as I see him as a hard worker, solid tackler, and just the kind of guy that’s under the radar and easy to root for. But Butler seems to always want to put Spillane into a position where he’s gonna be left on an island vs a WR on a critical 3rd down. Hasn’t happened this season, but I have flash backs every time I see him out there on clear passing downs.

That’s the real question though. How the heck did Spillane become this 3rd down dime package LB? That seems like the last place we’d use him.
    I don't know which downs Spillane came in. SEA only rushed 1 time on 3rd down...unfortunately went for 26 yds. Meanwhile they passed 11 times for an avg gain of 0.6 yds and only 2 first downs. So if he was in it seems to have mostly worked.

Isn't this an indictment against Bush and Schobert more than Butler or Spillane?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Iím gonna be patient with Bush due to him coming back from injury + didnít he have a groin injury vs Denver?

I like Spillane and am all for him getting reps as I see him as a hard worker, solid tackler, and just the kind of guy thatís under the radar and easy to root for. But Butler seems to always want to put Spillane into a position where heís gonna be left on an island vs a WR on a critical 3rd down. Hasnít happened this season, but I have flash backs every time I see him out there on clear passing downs.

Thatís the real question though. How the heck did Spillane become this 3rd down dime package LB? That seems like the last place weíd use him.
    I'm perplexed why Spillane is on the team. Him on the field is a free play for a RB or TE to have a big play because he couldn't cover my Grandmother and God bless her she has passed
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

We knew it would be difficult to replace Shazier but Bush was pretty good before his injury. I’m giving him time and hoping he gets back to that level. His speed and instincts seem to be off.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    We knew it would be difficult to replace Shazier but Bush was pretty good before his injury. I’m giving him time and hoping he gets back to that level. His speed and instincts seem to be off.
    Yeah.. its obvious he isn’t the same player. Maybe he is playing not to get injured which isn’t an effective way to play.

Also, our DL was getting destroyed on most of those runs. Its hard to make
    plays when the DL is being pushed back 5 yards.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Yeah.. its obvious he isn’t the same player. Maybe he is playing not to get injured which isn’t an effective way to play.

Also, our DL was getting destroyed on most of those runs. Its hard to make
    plays when the DL is being pushed back 5 yards.
    We need Tuitt badly. When Alualu went down, Cam has been getting double teamed and the others are getting no push. This puts more pressure on the LBs.

It would be nice to have Hargrave back. He’s killing it here in Philly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Isn't this an indictment against Bush and Schobert more than Butler or Spillane?
    I was in the car driving during the second half so only listened on radio and heard them get gashed on the ground. I read the other day that the Steelers went to a passing down D, using a nickel back instead of 7 up front. That led to the ground game exploding. The reasoning was that the Steelers would rather force the running game to beat the D instead of Metcalf/Lockett. To me this did not make sense because in order to get beat by the receivers, it would require Geno to get it done. With a 2 TD lead, I can see Geno marching the team once, maybe even twice, but eventually I would take the risk that he throws an ill advised pick (or fumble) at some point. I disagree with the strategy of playing to stop the run to start the second half with a lead.