Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Case for Chase.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let me put it this way.

After 6 games and going only on appearances:

It appears that DJ spent the entire off season working on his hands and on a mission not to drop another football. Whatever he’s done is working.

It also appears that Chase may have spent the off season thinking his natural talents and abilities would be enough. They aren’t.

So in my opinion thus far, DJ is performing and working like a pro should - and Chase is still performing and working like a rookie. That’s why I think he’s underperforming. His upside is still huge. He just has to find a way to get better.

Again, that’s just how it appears to me. I certainly have no knowledge of what he does in practice or in the off season.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Chase Claypool is just an adequate receiver who is big. He can't get separation. He gets separation by pushing off. He doesn't complete his routes. He disappears. I would say let's see if the chemistry with Ben can get better.

Legend

User Info Menu

He's a young second year player. Give the kid a break he isn't Jerry Rice in his prime...yet
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

We have starting a QB in decline; not fair to fully evaluate the WRs one way or another unless/until we have competent quarterbacking.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 11 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 4 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    We have starting a QB in decline; not fair to fully evaluate the WRs one way or another unless/until we have competent quarterbacking.
    have you had a chance to watch Lamar Jackson lately?

and to think we had a chance to draft him, huh?
    Steel Maniac when he's wrong: "My predictions are time based." lmao

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    He's a young second year player. Give the kid a break he isn't Jerry Rice in his prime...yet
    Problem is the offense needs him to be better NOW, not next year or the year after. One play really irked me. He caught a ball and was running down the sideline and a DB half his size came charging to him to make the tackle and he chose to step out of bounds rather than laying a hit for extra yards. Meanwhile you got Juju and Harris out there killing themselves taking hits to make this offense go.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Fans like to overreact. Chase will be fine.
    I agree that he will be fine, but I also believe that he has the tools to be great. If he stays at fine, that will be frustrating.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I get that he's raw, and flashes brilliantly at times ... disappointing part is how long it's taking him to improve.

I have to wonder about the coaching ... do we have anyone who can coach him up and help him to progress faster?
    maybe he's asked the coaches for help with more film break down but they said to him "don't worry, you'll get it" like they did with Najee

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Let me put it this way.

After 6 games and going only on appearances:

It appears that DJ spent the entire off season working on his hands and on a mission not to drop another football. Whatever he’s done is working.

It also appears that Chase may have spent the off season thinking his natural talents and abilities would be enough. They aren’t.

So in my opinion thus far, DJ is performing and working like a pro should - and Chase is still performing and working like a rookie. That’s why I think he’s underperforming. His upside is still huge. He just has to find a way to get better.

Again, that’s just how it appears to me. I certainly have no knowledge of what he does in practice or in the off season.
    NFL guys say the 3rd year for a receiver is usually their break out year and DJ certainly looks like a better player.

I'm holding out hope that the same happens for claypool, but tright now it looks like he hasn't improved at all from last year.

on the field at least. I'm sure his TikTok game is Lit AF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    maybe he's asked the coaches for help with more film break down but they said to him "don't worry, you'll get it" like they did with Najee
    I'm not sure I'd take anything Collingsworth says too seriously (including praise for Tomlin).