Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye Week Changes Needed

Legend

User Info Menu

Bye Week Changes Needed

This game highlighted some needed changes for this team:

• Bush - Bush was so bad it made my eyes water; weak at the point of attack, constantly over/under running gaps, and bad tackling for a LB. Starting to think Spillane might be a better option at ILB. Hell, I'd give VWill a call to see if he'd come back out of retirement.
    • McCloud - as a receiver is no threat to anyone. The Steelers should consider another option like White or Bussey.
    • Claypool - it might seem very early but I don't think the Steelers need to consider a second contract for this guy. Never seen a guy with his physical traits come up so small in games. It was his chance to shine with Juju out and he did nothing with it for the most part.
    • Wormley - Steelers need to decide if the future is now with Loudermilk cause Wormley isn't. Dude is inconsistent as the Santa Ana winds.
    • Freirmuth - still need to argue about this pick in the draft?! I shiver thinking what the offense would look like without him. He needs to see more targets at the expense of Claypool.
    • Heyward - how are the Steelers gonna get this guy some rest cause I don't know how he can continue at the pace is going right now?? True leader of the defense in every way.
    • Canada/Roethlisberger - please work on play designs where the ball gets thrown between 10 and 20 past the LOS. Defenses are still not respecting the pass game.
    • DJ - more DJ, less Claypool
    • Washington - more Washington, less Claypool
    • Norwood - in the slot is better than Maulet or anyone else; guy has a highlight in almost every game he gets significant time playing
    • Fitz - he might think he is headed for bag this off-season but the Steelers might be better off thinking about a trade for a high draft pick. He's not that good around the LOS but the Steelers seem intent on trying to use him that way.
    • RB - the Steelers need a change of pace RB that can fly because defenses are too keyed on Harris at this point

OK... maybe too much ranting but this game was a good learning point on both sides.

Legend

User Info Menu

Crossing all fingers and toes that Tuitt is back on the field after the bye. I think that will help spell Heyward.

I also think we should practice tackling this week.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Devon certainly had a down game. I don't necessarily subscribe to it - but with coach Jerry not there and Butler doing double duty with the Linebackers, is it possible that had an impact on the game?

Oh and specifically bad for Devon - trying to run after recovering the fumble in OT and almost coughing it back up was a spectacularly bad decision.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Lots of valid comments.

Im glad weve got a bye at this point. Its a good spot to get back to work and fix a lot. Weve reached 3-3 and have some positives to build on.

Offensively, we can continue to build around a solid foundation of our developing OLine, Najee, TEs, and DJ. The soft play of our WRs on the outside is frustrating, but the 800 lb gorilla is our QB imho. God love him and what hes done for us over the years, but even in OT when he went down to down the ball for Boz to kick the game winner, it was so awkward and I just dont see how he holds up for the season.

Theres a lot to sort out on D, but I think between TJ, AH, Cam, and eventually Tuitt, well be able to get pressure and force mistakes with good enough coverage on the back end.

But the problem is if our O cant put up points and force other teams to pass, were gonna struggle if teams can just run against us. This is a problem that carries over from last year. And Im not sure the D can fix this as much as the O can help scoring points.

Which takes us right back to Big Ben. If hes not going to push the ball downfield and get Ds to defend the entire field, were going to continue struggling along and keeping games close and allowing teams to stay balanced and run against us goes against our strength.

This is the crux of the problem with a franchise QB. At some point, that guy has to carry the team.

Does anyone believe Ben can carry us right now?

Legend

User Info Menu

None of that outweighs the fact that there is exactly one running play in the playbook and that is the inside handoff to Harris or whoever is in at RB.
    Ben threw the ball 40 times, that's way too many for Ben at this point in his career.
    Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Chargers and Cincinnati are the next 5 games after that they get the Ravens twice, Titans, Chiefs, Browns and Vikings, they need to take advantage of the next 5 games.
    I'm convinced the offense isn't getting any better this season so 20-23 points a game will have to hold up that puts all pressure on the defense and Boswell.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This list is incomplete without adding Ben to it. He's bad. Can't throw the ball down the field consistently. Won't throw the 10 - 20 intermediate ball. Can't move. Dumps off for loss or 2 yard gain all the time. Three times he hit Seahawks in the hands and they dropped it (much like the Denver game). The Seattle defense is on pace to be historically bad in allowing yards per game and it almost overwhelmed the O.

People blame Canada for his game planning and play calling but what if its being done to cover for the deficiencies of the QB?

Sadly, I don't know how this can be corrected with the bye week.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Claypool and Bush are very disappointing.
    Minkah has been very underwhelming at times too.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Don't know what people expected out of Ben this season. He is a wider version of the 2019 Eli Manning.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    Don't know what people expected out of Ben this season. He is a wider version of the 2019 Eli Manning.
    I didn't expect that he would forget how to make a sound football decision on the field and that seems to be his biggest problem.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Claypool and Bush are very disappointing.
    Minkah has been very underwhelming at times too.
    The only two on defense that are playing at a high level are Watt and Heyward.

I don’t know what is up with Bush. He had a serious injury last year but he looks lost out there.