Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 97

Thread: OT: Gruden resigns

  1. #51
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    No, we all know who Goodell works for, but don't get up on a soapbox to condemn these incidents by everyone else who is not an owner. He has no moral code to stand by and comment on anything, unless he's going to be consistent about ALL wrongful actions.

  2. #52
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    You heard it here first.

    Gruden will be our OC in 2 years. Tomlin has deep ties and the Steelers are a legendary anti-racist franchise who created the Rooney rule and can clean the filth off him and rehabilitate his image.

    I don’t think he should be allowed anywhere near the NFL - but they never listen to me.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  3. #53
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I’ve never been a Gruden fan, but why not just say the guy fudged up on a bunch of levels, give him a chance to learn from it and make amends, and move forward and try to make something positive out of it all.

    Not that it’s right, but there was a time that minorities weren’t allowed to participate in sports, challenging someone’s manhood and call them a p#%%%, and being afraid to have gay players in a locker room was a norm.

    Again, wasn’t right, but those systematic issues have been passed down from generations before and Gruden wasn’t the first and probably not the last.

    I’m just not sure cancelling the guy is the best move. He becomes the scape goat here rather than admitting it’s a systematic problem and they could turn this around letting Gruden take the lead on figuring out ways to correct past wrongs.
    There is a reason Gruden had to go. It goes beyond politics, and "cancel culture".

    The success of ANY coach is dependent on players wanting to play for you.

    Dude offended 2/3s of the league. You can't "just give him a chance" if you want to win in a competitive league.

    There is NO WAY I play for that dude if I have any other options.

    THAT is why he had to go.




    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

  4. #54
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    This is a difficult subject for many people in America regardless of race.

    Sigh another sigh. Deep breath.

    Many, many people in America are racists on some level regardless or race, religion, culture, ect.

    Gruden is a racist. Is he a malicious racist? Probably not. I kind of feel sorry for Gruden. Ignorance breeds ignorance.

    Hopefully people can learn from this. No one is perfect and can grow to become better individuals based on many factors involved in living.

    I view the individuals that bring up the Rooney rule and the Tomlin hire as racists. I cringe thinking that Tomlin was hired only because of the rule.

    Those individuals are probably not extreme racists but racists on the scale of racism. There are many different types of racists. Black, asians, white, ect can all be racists individuals. Often times individuals have racists views because of ignorance.

    My heart "aches" for racists individuals because of..........................many reasons. I know I had racists views at some point in life. Age, experience, education, ect. taught me better. I do my best to judge individuals individually. Even then, I try not to judge to harshly because I never walked in their shoes.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 10-13-2021 at 02:33 AM.

  5. #55
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    This is a difficult subject for many people in America regardless of race.

    Sigh another sigh. Deep breath.

    Many, many people in America are racists on some level regardless or race, religion, culture, ect.

    Gruden is a racist. Is he a malicious racist? Probably not. I kind of feel sorry for Gruden. Ignorance breeds ignorance.

    Hopefully people can learn from this. No one is perfect and can grow to become better individuals based on many factors involved in living.

    I view the individuals that bring up the Rooney rule and the Tomlin hire as racists. I cringe thinking that Tomlin was hired only because of the rule.

    Those individuals are probably not extreme racists but racists on the scale of racism. There are many different types of racists. Black, asians, white, ect can all be racists individuals. Often times individuals have racists views because of ignorance.

    My heart "aches" for racists individuals because of..........................many reasons. I know I had racists views at some point in life. Age, experience, education, ect. taught me better. I do my best to judge individuals individually. Even then, I try not to judge to harshly because I never walked in their shoes.
    While I mostly agree with your sentiment, I really don’t think most people are racist, sexist, etc.

    By definition, a racist, sexists, whatever is someone that believes a particular race, sex, etc is superior over another.

    And that’s why I think it’s fair to excuse people for their ignorance. As an example, growing up in the 70s/80s I remember kids using the slur f%g all the time. This goes back to the playground in elementary school and none of us had a clue at the time what a gay person was. If someone used that word today, they would be labeled homophobic. But the reality is I just don’t think people know or understand most of the words they say. It really is just ignorance imho and nothing else.

    And I also get that perception is reality. And I never want to be insensitive toward anyone else ever. And I don’t think the majority do either. And there’s where I wish we could all just lean into giving one another the benefit of the doubt.

    While none of us have walked in one another’s shoes, we’ve all experienced something negative and so we can all have empathy toward one another on some level which should drive us toward being nice to one another.

    I appreciate the intent of the up coming generations and their propensity to be kinder and more sensitive toward one another, but at the same time, I think a lot of their parents didn’t teach them that while sticks and stones can break bones, names cannot hurt you.

    I really do understand words can hurt, but taken to the extreme, we may not be able to have conversations in the future because what we say can always be misinterpreted by the one who hears our words. And everyone eventually will be offended by everything.

    And what can you do eventually? Either the one person needs to stop talking or the other person need to stop listening. And I think collectively that’s where we’ve gotten. Thats the crux of the fracture we have in society.

    And I really do think we got there despite all sides having good intentions. Are good intentions our ultimate downfall? The irony.

  6. #56
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    He violated the number 1 rule..

    Dont take a hot sh#t on the table just because you finished your meal. You never know if you may want to eat at that table again.

    Obviously I just made that up.
    It does paint a picture though.

  7. #57
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    While I mostly agree with your sentiment, I really don’t think most people are racist, sexist, etc.

    By definition, a racist, sexists, whatever is someone that believes a particular race, sex, etc is superior over another.

    And that’s why I think it’s fair to excuse people for their ignorance. As an example, growing up in the 70s/80s I remember kids using the slur f%g all the time. This goes back to the playground in elementary school and none of us had a clue at the time what a gay person was. If someone used that word today, they would be labeled homophobic. But the reality is I just don’t think people know or understand most of the words they say. It really is just ignorance imho and nothing else.

    And I also get that perception is reality. And I never want to be insensitive toward anyone else ever. And I don’t think the majority do either. And there’s where I wish we could all just lean into giving one another the benefit of the doubt.

    While none of us have walked in one another’s shoes, we’ve all experienced something negative and so we can all have empathy toward one another on some level which should drive us toward being nice to one another.

    I appreciate the intent of the up coming generations and their propensity to be kinder and more sensitive toward one another, but at the same time, I think a lot of their parents didn’t teach them that while sticks and stones can break bones, names cannot hurt you.

    I really do understand words can hurt, but taken to the extreme, we may not be able to have conversations in the future because what we say can always be misinterpreted by the one who hears our words. And everyone eventually will be offended by everything.

    And what can you do eventually? Either the one person needs to stop talking or the other person need to stop listening. And I think collectively that’s where we’ve gotten. Thats the crux of the fracture we have in society.

    And I really do think we got there despite all sides having good intentions. Are good intentions our ultimate downfall? The irony.
    I get what he is saying. Most people have preconceived notions about races or groups they aren’t familiar with or simply due to the way they were raised.

    I grew up Southern Baptist so I had all types of conservative and archaic views on sexuality growing up.

    However, I think once you enter the work place you have to bite your tongue on certain issues or opinions unless you feel stronger about those opinions than keeping your job.

    I know people will say these were “off the record” hot takes by Gruden but when your job relies on inclusion you need to watch what you say and when you say it.

    Saying it to the President of a Football Organization is risky because while he may share tour views, one day he may not and he can hang you out to dry or the organization can if you put those thoughts in emails and sent them to their server.
    Tomlins coming back so what can you do?


  8. #58
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think you're confusing the point I'm trying to make (which I think is part of the reason you "post the way [you] do regarding certain topics").

    I'm not saying that they shouldn't fire Gruden or that he doesn't deserve to be fired.

    I am saying that it seems pretty likely that there is a lot more information that won't see the light of day to protect rich and powerful people. Just like how Kraft didn't see any real negative impacts from being involved in prostitution.
    To your point:





    In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

    TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

  9. #59
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    To your point:

    I agree that more needs to come out. Not sure why the NFL would protect Bruce Allen. I guess he must have a lot of friends at the top.

    I know he isn’t currently employed but he should be exposed just like Gruden.
    Tomlins coming back so what can you do?


  10. #60
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    ....I do my best to judge individuals individually....
    Seems clear that this should be our objective.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •