Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A nice win

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    A deep miss on 3rd and 8 isn't the same as a deep miss on 1st and 10. Down and distance matter. But, you are correct about how fans see stuff incorrectly, tho - *poke lol
    Example of what I am talking about:

1 Quarter
    15:00 Minutes to go
    PIT at the 25
    Ben Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep right intended for James Washington (defended by Darius Phillips)

That is literally the first play from scrimmage in the Natti loss.

The second drive featured TWO missed deep passes (second AND third down)

Three of the first 6 plays from scrimmage were deep passes ALL incomplete. Result?

Three and out on both drives.

Bottom line?

Early MISSED deep throws not only did not loosen up underneath coverage...it says WE CANNOT beat you deep which makes it worse.

"Success" throwing deep backs defenses away from the LOS. Pathetic attempts at it only embolden a defense to fear it less.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

1 Quarter
    PIT at the 25
    Ben Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep right intended for James Washington (defended by Darius Phillips)

Three of the first 6 plays from scrimmage were deep passes ALL incomplete. Result?

Bottom line?

Early MISSED deep throws not only did not loosen up underneath coverage...it says WE CANNOT beat you deep which makes it worse.

"Success" throwing deep backs defenses away from the LOS. Pathetic attempts at it only embolden a defense to fear it less.
    and some of those throws were no where close to being caught. I believe one landed like 5 yards out of bounds and looked like it was hit by buckshots.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

1 Quarter
    PIT at the 25

Bottom line?

Oh... you mean the game where Benny Snell was the leading rusher with 84 yards for a 4.6 average? Great example.

You're supporting MY point more than your own there. Try again.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

they actually stretched the field on passes a time or two, loosening up the run game. Pretty much need THAT kind of balance instead of the WR screen (which basicaly puts the defense in run defending positions close to the LOS)...

That's been the problem since last year - stupid short passing game with very few downfield shots to make the defense respect the pass
    In 2020 Roethlisberger was 6th in the NFL on atts >20 yds. He is currently 7th for the same this season. Deep pass attempts haven't been the problem. Not completing them has.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Finally. A well called game! Going deep was the difference.We still have los of problems though. 4 flags on the OL that I counted between Green and Chucks and spotty coverage. Keep giving Claypool chances. With the defense backed off, Harris had room to run,
    PFF said Green had a terrible game and Turnstile Turner wasn't far behind. Okorafor?... well he got credit for keeping Von Miller quiet on the day but he did have those false start penalties.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd say when it comes to some of the intermediate and deeper misses, I would like to see some more fight from some of our younger guys. The one guy in particular who I would expect to start bringing down some of these is Claypool. The guy out sizes many DBs, is stronger, is in position to go up and get it, and does not seem to bring down those contested balls. I hope that Sunday's big game gets him started, but if he does then that will add a dimension to this offense that takes it to a new level.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I'd say when it comes to some of the intermediate and deeper misses, I would like to see some more fight from some of our younger guys. The one guy in particular who I would expect to start bringing down some of these is Claypool. The guy out sizes many DBs, is stronger, is in position to go up and get it, and does not seem to bring down those contested balls. I hope that Sunday's big game gets him started, but if he does then that will add a dimension to this offense that takes it to a new level.
    Yea. He's been inconsistent with those catches. I don't know if there are drills they can do to improve contested catches but he could really use them. He also falls down a lot on those.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Definitely a much needed win to stay within the division race.
    That was our best effort in ten games. The key is having a game plan that features throwing it beyond the first down marker and using Claypool and Johnson in the mid to deep routes.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh... you mean the game where Benny Snell was the leading rusher with 84 yards for a 4.6 average? Great example.

You're supporting MY point more than your own there. Try again.
    OK Mr "down and distance".

Snell got over half those yards on a single drive AFTER Natti got a nice lead on us.

Natti let up on the run because it was eating clock. Our running worked in their favor.

Nothing to do with opening drive passes, "down and distance" meant we lose if we don't hit big. So they played pass and we ran with some success. And we literally "ran" out of time and LOST.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    That was our best effort in ten games. The key is having a game plan that features throwing it beyond the first down marker and using Claypool and Johnson in the mid to deep routes.
    You forgot another important part of the game plan; having a QB that can make those throws accurately enough to catch.