Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Cautionary tale on RBs

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Cautionary tale on RBs

    Clock is ticking on Najee. Do they waste his short career in Pittsburgh on mediocre QBs or projects, or swing for the fences?

    https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/st...PwlLmWaU8fwCdQ

    all the record-setting RB deals that were signed in 2019 & 2020 are finally set to explode in cap hit in 20222021 cap hits: $6.9M - Christian McCaffrey $6.8M - Ezekiel Elliott $5.0M - Alvin Kamara2022 cap hits:$18.2M - Elliott$14.5M - Kamara$14.3M - McCaffrey

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Well, we still have him on his rookie deal for a few more years before they have to make that decision, a lot can happen between now and then. I think they just hold tight and let things play out, then make decisions in a couple years. There is so much more to worry about in the short term, RB doesn't need to be one of them...yet.

    Pappy


    Ben: What do you want to do if we win the toss?
    Tomlin: Take the ball
    Ben: Are you sure? They have an all world defense.
    Tomlin: I have you

    1.20 - Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2.52 - George Pickesn, WR, Alabama
    3.84 - DeMarvin Leal, DE, Texas A&M
    4.138 - Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis
    6.209 -Connor Heyward, RB, MSU
    7.225 - Mark Robinson, LB, Ole Miss
    7.242 - Chris Oladokum, QB, SD State

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    We don’t need to worry about that right now.

    While these numbers look ugly for these players its a numbers game. You have to pay the playmakers and the goal is to get as much out of them before that huge cap hit hurts you.

    But how is this any different than a LB, OL, DL etc on a nice contract. Once that cap hit balloons and you aren’t winning SB’s what is the end game?

    Kamara should be fine.
    Elliot is probably in his last year before they move on.

    McCaffrey is the one that looks the worst. Be has missed 75% of games since he signed that huge contract. The one who some said “deserved it” because he didn’t complain or use social media has missed the most games and been the biggest disappointment. Fans are ready to move on down here because he can’t stay healthy. I think he put on too much muscle.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Well, we still have him on his rookie deal for a few more years before they have to make that decision, a lot can happen between now and then. I think they just hold tight and let things play out, then make decisions in a couple years. There is so much more to worry about in the short term, RB doesn't need to be one of them...yet.

    Pappy
    Don't have to worry about RB, but rather winning now while he's in his short prime.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    The nice thing about a 1st round RB is that you can put the 5th year option on him before tagging him twice. We couldn't do that with Bell because he was a 2nd round guy.

    I think the odds that a RB is worth a premier contract after their 7th year are low.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    The nice thing about a 1st round RB is that you can put the 5th year option on him before tagging him twice. We couldn't do that with Bell because he was a 2nd round guy.

    I think the odds that a RB is worth a premier contract after their 7th year are low.
    Sure, we could keep him from a big deal for 7 years, but I don't think he'll hold up nearly that long. And chances are if we try, he'll go down Bell's route and force his way out.

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Sure, we could keep him from a big deal for 7 years, but I don't think he'll hold up nearly that long. And chances are if we try, he'll go down Bell's route and force his way out.
    or we can sign him to a reasonable deal and avoid a dispute and deal with what happen just like we do with any other position when they get injured or start to decline.

    It crazy how the media always points to a RB’s cap hit as the reason a team is in a bind when they usually have 3 or 4 other players who take up a larger percentage of their cap space.

    Elliot: 8.59% of cap space
    Kamara: 7%
    McCaffery: 6.7%
    Henry: 7%

    If he performs well I would prefer a second contract after the 4th year that gives us a year or 2 of cap savings and then we take a hit for a year before we move on from him if his play severely declines in that 7th year.

    I think its bad business to not reward a player if they are doing a ton of heavy lifting.

    I think a Derrick Henry type contract is ideal if he continues doing what we expect him to do.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    The way he's been used so far, chances are good Harris is used up before the end of his rookie contract. Hope he can buck the odds

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I think the team needs to find a second option to spell him so he ISN'T overused... a guy like Chase Edmonds would be very worth a look this offseason - he'd eliminate the need for any of the other RBs...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

    2022 Final Mock
    1 - Malik Wills, QB, Liberty Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
    2 - Travis Jones, NT, Uconn George Pickens, WR, UGa
    3 - Jalen Tolbert, WR, USA DeMarvin Leal, DE, TAMU


  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I think the team needs to find a second option to spell him so he ISN'T overused... a guy like Chase Edmonds would be very worth a look this offseason - he'd eliminate the need for any of the other RBs...
    Doesn’t matter who we have as the 2nd RB.

    Someone already posted a stat that elite RB’s don’t get injured less often if they carry the ball less.

    We ride Najee until we can’t anymore.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •