Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The blocked FG

Legend

User Info Menu

The blocked FG

I think we got hosed in that play.

It looked like it was timed perfectly. Maybe the side angle shows Haden in the neutral zone but I think we caught Vegas by surprise.

This is where my conspiracy theory tin foil hat gets some action today.

Pretty sure if things were flipped and our FG was blocked the refs eat that flag.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

It sure looked good on the replay. Or maybe didn't look bad is the right way to think about it.

They talked on the broadcast about being able to challenge it (or maybe it was someone afterward), but I don't think the replay would have overturned it anyway (if they were following the standard they are supposed to follow of "it has to be obviously wrong").

I think they were onside...but I only get the TV tape and I'm far from unbiased.

I assume that the person that threw the flag was the official that's standing there on the field looking right down the line of scrimmage. If so, I think it's hard to argue that we have a better look at it than that person.

Does anyone know which official threw the flag?

Legend

User Info Menu

Haden had a simple tweet after the game.

“I was not offsides”.

I wish they gave another camera view of the play but I agree with Haden. Unless he lined up offsides it doesn’t look like he jumped the snap.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Haden had a simple tweet after the game.

“I was not offsides”.

I wish they gave another camera view of the play but I agree with Haden. Unless he lined up offsides it doesn’t look like he jumped the snap.

Not sure how he "spliced" the videos together, but looked OK here.

Can't tell if he was lined up in the neutral zone from the angle IMO.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

It was a weird play because the ball moves, then Haden moves and THEN the rest of the Packers line moves so to the ref I think it looked like Haden was offside when he wasn't because he basically beat the Packers out of their stance. These plays should be reviewable imo. Although in this case who knows if the refs would've overturned it because of how close it was.

Legend

User Info Menu

Former NFL official Gene Steratore said this morning that Haden was not offsides and a flag should not have been thrown.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Former NFL official Gene Steratore said this morning that Haden was not offsides and a flag should not have been thrown.
    I always believed the refs are influencing the outcomes more than people want to admit.

aka..

fixing games with these types of calls.

Total momentum changer on that play. That was 10 points and probably screwed up the books if they let it stand.. lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

and I will add that although our offense is trash the refs are giving us bottom feeder treatment this year.

Splliane hits a QB who is a runner.. flag

Ingram barely touches Burrow.. flag

Blocked FG for a TD.. flag.

I know its only one play but pretty sure each one extended drives or snatched points from us.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    and I will add that although our offense is trash the refs are giving us bottom feeder treatment this year.

Splliane hits a QB who is a runner.. flag

Ingram barely touches Burrow.. flag

Blocked FG for a TD.. flag.

I know its only one play but pretty sure each one extended drives or snatched points from us.
    On the flip side... Lamar Jackson takes an eternity to snap the ball after the play clock is down to zero. No flag. Leads to game-winninng FG.

It's not our year. On any front.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I called in to the postgame with a question for Hoke. He had mentioned the Steelers definitely had a ‘tell’ on the long snapper. So my question was - with all that effort and preparation to set up the play, are you telling me no one thought to tell the refs pregame that was the plan? To let them know the center is hitching and we’re gonna time it perfectly for the block so when it does happen, they’re not caught off guard and throw the flag.

It was a legal play but one that didn’t look like every other rush. That the Steelers didn’t take the extra step to alert the refs is downright criminal negligence. Hoke and Pomp agreed.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!