Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we just stop already with the ben debate!

Backup

User Info Menu

Can we just stop already with the ben debate!

Can we all just acknowledge Ben is not top tier anymore! I am a huge Big Ben supporter and am glad we get one more year of him. That being said it's time to retire AFTER this season. He has been so much to this team for so long we don't dare sit him down. We also move on with the post Big Ben error next year. I still say Ben is no more than 30% of the offensive problems. Everyone always says the play starts with the QB. It does not. The center (Offensive line) starts every play. Nothing works with a bad O Line. Pitts O Line has not only been not good, but it has been bad from some time now. You and I get aggravated with the lack of a run game and short passes. This is all on the O Line. The defense crowds the line, stops the run and forces a pass. The O Line can not protect long enough for deep routes, thus short passes. With the defense already crowding the line too many times the short passing does not get a 1st down. Putt Big Ben behind a very good O Line and he would be just fine. May not make the Pro Bowl but he's stats and our wins would be good. Bottom line. Without a O Line Ben needs to retire NEXT year and we need a mobile QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's a vicious cycle.. we are limited because of Ben's inability to stretch the field vertically.. especially between the seams. In the NFL.. if you have a QB that cant make all of the throws.. it's just a matter of time before that gets exposed/abused. Couple that with the fact that our O-line does not get push up front... and well.. here we are.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tomlin has wasted so many seasons of having loaded rosters.
    A few of us could see what really needed to be done several seasons ago. Now this what we are left with.
    Those same fans that praised every draft pick to be bpa and player acquisition, are pretending they didn’t say those things and are now blaming Ben.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KYPITTFAN View Post
    ... That being said it's time to retire AFTER this season. He has been so much to this team for so long we don't dare sit him down. We also move on with the post Big Ben error next year. ...
    I think this is how it plays out provided (i) the OL can keep him healthy and (ii) he doesn't opt to sit because we're eliminated from the playoffs and it's not worth the punishment (I don't think Ben will do this because he's an amazing competitor...but he might get strongly encouraged to take that path).

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Tomlin has wasted so many seasons of having loaded rosters.
    This right here, and with all the talk of Ben's declining performance it's hard not to look back at the last 10+ seasons of his career and think about how many of them were simply wasted and it's not like the Steelers weren't perennial favorites in the AFC during this time. 3 playoff wins is all the team has to show for it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    This right here, and with all the talk of Ben's declining performance it's hard not to look back at the last 10+ seasons of his career and think about how many of them were simply wasted and it's not like the Steelers weren't perennial favorites in the AFC during this time. 3 playoff wins is all the team has to show for it.
    In the last decade Steelers were NEVER consensus favorites in the AFC.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I don’t think he said ‘consensus’.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

How about favorites from people that weren't homers?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Most years the media considered the Steelers to be one of the best teams in the AFC at the start of the season. It was always Pats, Steelers and another team - Usually Baltimore/Denver.

Legend

User Info Menu

"I" could say the Browns are SB favorites. Doesn't make them SB favorites.

All you need to be a SB favorite of some talking head is to be a playoff caliber team.

By THAT standard, Harbaugh is the biggest offender in the conference.