Thread: Steelers Are Now The Pirates

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Are Now The Pirates

I donÂ’t remember a SteelersÂ’ season where I have felt so early that the season is over.

The only analogy I can think of is the Pirates.

We spend an entire offseason after a horrible ending to last season looking for some silver lining. And we think we find some nugget of hope only to have the rug pulled out from under us almost as fast as the season starts.

If weÂ’re realistic about it, next year will be a rebuilding year. And if we land the right QB, itÂ’ll be another 1-2 years at best until heÂ’s likely ready to help us compete for a SuperBowl.

I guess all we can hang our hats on is it seems easier to find QBs today since itÂ’s become a passer friendly league.

But by the time we find a QB thatÂ’s ready to carry us, guys like TJ and Minkah will be past their primes and weÂ’ll need to retool everything anyway.

We may have just missed a 5-6 year window where our D has been good enough. The last 3 year + the next 2-3 years.

Oh well. I guess itÂ’s time to regroup and figure out how to enjoy this team for the remainder of the season.

Can the OLine improve? Will Najee and Pat be the bed rocks of our O for years to come? Can our young D bring back memories of the Steel Curtain?

Maybe weÂ’ll get to see our backup QBs enough to know if we stick with them or move on.

In my mind, Rudolf is not the answer so I really want to see Haskins get some PT.

And who knows. Maybe weÂ’re the perfect landing spot for a FA QB that wants to win a ring.

Heck, could we pull off a mid season trade for a QB?

Maybe IÂ’m thinking like a fan of a bottom dweller team. Just like I always do early in every Pirates season. Ugh.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's bad when even Flippy becomes negative!

I like the idea of a QB trade but they aren't going to do that to Ben unless he has a career-ending injury.

You know who I feel bad for at QB?... Jared Goff. He's not a great QB but not a bad one either. He gets so much negative press because everyone is salivating over the Stafford trade. Every single announcer and analyst keeps saying, over and over and over that the Rams finally have a QB and that the offense is so transformed. And while that's probably true, it's got to be killing Goff. What a crap turn for your career to take.... you get the Rams to the super bowl and soon after, get traded to the Lions to be replaced by the savior.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pirates? That’s a bit harsh but I understand the sentiment. I think the Steelers have spent the last 3 years hoping they could extract one more run out of Ben. It’s hard to fault them for that, I like a team that sticks with its guys. It just hasn’t worked out and it doesn’t look like things will change soon. I don’t know what the rest of the year will bring. I don’t think Mason is the long term answer and I don’t know if Haskins has impressed. I don’t know what the QB class of 21 looks like but I’m sure Tomlin doesn’t want a 4-13 season to find out. We slugged through an 8-8 with Mason and Duck. We were giddy with 10-0 and then 11-0 before the wheels came off. But ultimately it looks like Ben has finally hit his wall. I hope I’m wrong but this year is gonna hurt.

But I don’t think it will lead to 25 years Pirates bad………
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I fear that the Steelers are becoming just another franchise in the league that cares only about selling tickets and not seriously competing for a championship. That's one of my issues with the NFL these days, I think most owners don't really care about winning it all and instead just remaining profitable and selling tickets. Not sure if that means Steelers are becoming the Pirates, I think that might be going a little too far perhaps.

But why extend Tomlin again? His team has underperformed for a decade now with just 3 playoff wins in 10 or 11 seasons. Is the team trending towards a championship? The message this sends is that he is ok with no championship and instead is more concerned with projecting a "stable franchise" image.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    I fear that the Steelers are becoming just another franchise in the league that cares only about selling tickets and not seriously competing for a championship. That's one of my issues with the NFL these days, I think most owners don't really care about winning it all and instead just remaining profitable and selling tickets. Not sure if that means Steelers are becoming the Pirates, I think that might be going a little too far perhaps.

But why extend Tomlin again? His team has underperformed for a decade now with just 3 playoff wins in 10 or 11 seasons. Is the team trending towards a championship? The message this sends is that he is ok with no championship and instead is more concerned with projecting a "stable franchise" image.
    Every team faces rebuilding and saying the owner may not care is nonsense. What they are trying to do is shorten the rebuilding phase but remain competitive in the meantime. If they didn’t care, they would not have traded for Minkah, resigned Watt and wouldn’t have made wholesale changes on the OL. Not every move will work out but they care about winning.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Every team faces rebuilding and saying the owner may not care is nonsense. What they are trying to do is shorten the rebuilding phase but remain competitive in the meantime. If they didn’t care, they would not have traded for Minkah, resigned Watt and wouldn’t have made wholesale changes on the OL. Not every move will work out but they care about winning.
    But if the goal is to win a championship why extend Tomlin when all signs point to that not happening again? Rooney might want to win a championship but apparently only with Tomlin as head coach which is a stubborn, arrogant and bad move imo.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    But if the goal is to win a championship why extend Tomlin when all signs point to that not happening again? Rooney might want to win a championship but apparently only with Tomlin as head coach which is a stubborn, arrogant and bad move imo.
    Because Rooney doesn’t freak out after losses like us fans. Panic firings do nothing….the WFT is a perfect example.