Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Matt Canada one and done with the Steelers?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    Yeah we have a QB visibly frustrated throughout the season but somehow plays better in the 4th quarter consistently when the team runs the no-huddle and this is what Ben wanted? lol. We have players saying the offense is better in the no-huddle. We have players criticizing the playcalling. We have a former player criticizing the OC and offense. We have other teams saying how easy the offense is to gameplan for, etc. News flash, when the other team knows what you're going to run it's gonna be pretty tough to execute especially this offense. I think some people are just trying to condition themselves for another year of Canada lol.
    Very well said

In any competitive sport, imagine trying to beat someone when they already know your next move. It was the same thing last year on offense, and it never changed for this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Every one? Of course not, but Ben checked down plenty of times to the easy crosser on 3rd and long with players running past the sticks. He just didn't use the MOF at all.
    Given how quickly those balls are released.. I'm speculating that most of those plays were not check downs. Ben never was one to go through his progressions quickly. It cost us a ton of sacks earlier in his career (holding on to the ball too long).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    When did this interview take place? I'm thinking prior to the 2019 season.
    Prior to the 2021 season...Feb 2021....https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rooney-ii-says

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Given how quickly those balls are released.. I'm speculating that most of those plays were not check downs. Ben never was one to go through his progressions quickly. It cost us a ton of sacks earlier in his career (holding on to the ball too long).
    Maybe not checkdowns but very well could have been first reads. There is a reason why they were again near the bottom of the league in QB under center. Guy didn't like to turn his back to the defense... and was too slow in his dropbacks with Turnstile Turner whiffing on blocks. When you have OL that run into each other while pulling it certainly helps the defense out. You could argue 'well don't call those plays' but there again another chunk of plays taken out of the playbook, further simplifying for the defense. It all cascades when the fundamentals break down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Maybe not checkdowns but very well could have been first reads. There is a reason why they were again near the bottom of the league in QB under center. Guy didn't like to turn his back to the defense... and was too slow in his dropbacks with Turnstile Turner whiffing on blocks. When you have OL that run into each other while pulling it certainly helps the defense out. You could argue 'well don't call those plays' but there again another chunk of plays taken out of the playbook, further simplifying for the defense. It all cascades when the fundamentals break down.
    I'm not arguing that Ben was a top tier QB as this stage in his career.. I'm merely suggesting the OC was dog$hit also

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    My question is, if the Canada hire is all about post Roethlisberger, why didn't they wait until post Roethlisberger to put him in?

It seems to me that the job of the OC should be to help implement an offense that will best work with the personnel you have, not one that forces the personnel you have to do what they are not good at, or maybe even can't do. He needed a mobile QB to run his offense? There isn't one on the roster (unless you go to the bottom of the QB chain and call up Dobbs).
    Regarding your first question, convenient timing. The Steelers don't fire coordinators (at least not since Tim Lewis), they just don't renew their contracts. Fichtner's contract was up so they moved to the next guy.

Wholeheartedly agree with your second point. They've now failed to adapt to their personnel on offense and on defense within the past ten years. In Pittsburgh (and honestly I think this is the case in most places), it's all about scheme. Although Ben has been super timid over the last two years - and some of that is understandable given the state of the offensive line - that the scheme couldn't really work. How many times did we see guys break open when Ben had already dumped the ball?
    Last edited by hackjam; 01-23-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hackjam View Post
    Regarding your first question, convenient timing. The Steelers don't fire coordinators (at least not since Tim Lewis), they just don't renew their contracts. Fichtner's contract was up so they moved to the next guy.

Wholeheartedly agree with your second point. They've now failed to adapt to their personnel on offense and on defense within the past ten years. In Pittsburgh (and honestly I think this is the case in most places), it's all about scheme. Although Ben has been super timid over the last two years - and some of that is understandable given the state of the offensive line - that the scheme couldn't really work. How many times did we see guys break open when Ben had already dumped the ball?
    Players win in the NFL and not schemes.

Why can teams scheme players to perform like Mahomes or Brady? Why because they can't execute like those players.

Teams need to have players that can execute the scheme. Not the other way around.

"This games about execution." Bill Belichick.

Starter

User Info Menu

There's a reason why coaches and coordinators get fired seasonally, and it's not because they don't have the players to execute their scheme. Most of the time, OC's get fired for the opposite reason.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    There's a reason why coaches and coordinators get fired seasonally, and it's not because they don't have the players to execute their scheme. Most of the time, OC's get fired for the opposite reason.
    That's the easiest route for teams. If you blame it on lack of talent then there are a lot of other people in the org whose heads are on the block, i.e. scouts, GMs, player personnel..etc. Why rebuild the entire org when you can blame it on one guy?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    That's the easiest route for teams. If you blame it on lack of talent then there are a lot of other people in the org whose heads are on the block, i.e. scouts, GMs, player personnel..etc. Why rebuild the entire org when you can blame it on one guy?
    Not every team can stack elite to execute any game plan, or we wouldn't need coaches and coordinators. How can teams replace coaches and OCs, and find better results with the same core of players? It happens frequently for a reason.