Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Matt Canada one and done with the Steelers?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Those guys are players; we were talking about management
    Idk it seemed like the offense wasn't trying to seriously compete for 3 quarters of every game lol. Defense too at times. Ben was having none of it though in the 4th!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    My question is, if the Canada hire is all about post Roethlisberger, why didn't they wait until post Roethlisberger to put him in?

It seems to me that the job of the OC should be to help implement an offense that will best work with the personnel you have, not one that forces the personnel you have to do what they are not good at, or maybe even can't do. He needed a mobile QB to run his offense? There isn't one on the roster (unless you go to the bottom of the QB chain and call up Dobbs).
    That's exactly what good coaches do... adapt scheme to fit the personnel you have. The fact that he was well below the line at his best.. and regressed down the stretch.. tells me that he was consistently "Outcoached" at a minimum. We all heard the story from other teams; Steelers were the easiest to game plan for. It's a shame they didnt fire Canada. Hes one of the worst OCs in the league.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    That's exactly what good coaches do... adapt scheme to fit the personnel you have. The fact that he was well below the line at his best.. and regressed down the stretch.. tells me that he was consistently "Outcoached" at a minimum. We all heard the story from other teams; Steelers were the easiest to game plan for. It's a shame they didnt fire Canada. Hes one of the worst OCs in the league.
    The scheme was already adapted to the QB and Oline the Steelers had this year.

When players don't or can't execute then all scheming in the world won't matter.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post

When players don't or can't execute then all scheming in the world won't matter.
    Some fans were expecting miracles I think. A QB that couldn't throw an accurate pass beyond 10 yards, shied away from the MOF, and released the ball in 2 sec but the OC is supposed to come up with plays that fool the defense.
    The offense was disappointing but it's impossible to untangle the effect of the QB and a very inexperienced OL and the playcalling.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 01-23-2022 at 08:23 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sounds great in theory.. but certainly doesnt explain how the steelers could all of a sudden "Get hot in the 4th quarter". Sure.. scheme has nothing to do with it

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Some fans were expecting miracles I think. A QB that couldn't throw an accurate pass beyond 10 yards, shied away from the MOF, and released the ball in 2 sec but the OC is supposed to come up with plays that fool the defense.
    The offense was disappointing but it's impossible to untangle the effect of the QB and a very inexperienced OL and the playcalling.
    If Ben was that damned bad then who's fault is it for keeping him as the starter this year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sounds great in theory.. but certainly doesnt explain how the steelers could all of a sudden "Get hot in the 4th quarter". Sure.. scheme has nothing to do with it
    The Chiefs backed off a bit in their defensive approach. They were up big. They probably gave up time for points.

The Steelers offensive players executed better. Something they didn't do ealry in the game

The coaches put the players in position to have more success early in the game vs the Chiefs.

I'm not even suggesting Canada's the answer at OC. I'm just saying it's hard to judge what was probably a tiny fraction of Canada's offense.

Make no mistake it's Ben's offense for years with minor tweeks by different OCs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...eam-181101465/

I posted this earlier. Read it and decide for yourself.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Chiefs backed off a bit in their defensive approach. They were up big. They probably gave up time for points.

The Steelers offensive players executed better. Something they didn't do ealry in the game

The coaches put the players in position to have more success early in the game vs the Chiefs.

I'm not even suggesting Canada's the answer at OC. I'm just saying it's hard to judge what was probably a tiny fraction of Canada's offense.

Make no mistake it's Ben's offense for years with minor tweeks by different OCs.
    Responding to first paragraph.. I'm referring to the season. Not just the chiefs game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    When was the last season fans didn't blame the OC?

I don't think our offense lived up to expectations for ppg over our last 4 OCs.

Part of the job I guess.