Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad game or a bad team?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bad game or a bad team?

Iím trying to be optimistic and say the last two weeks were just bad play, but thatís a tall order.

I thought this would be a challenging season for the simple fact there where a lot of ĎIFíSí that needed to occur for the team to win. In my mind back in July, the team would win:

IF - Ben played strong with a strong arm. He hasnít
    IF - the o-line gave at least average line play. It hasnít come close
    IF - we could get 100 yards a game rushing to keep the defense honest. We havenít.
    IF - the defense could keep the game close and hold the opponent to less than 20. It hasnít.

I suppose you could say those IFís are true of any team - but after last seasons collapse those were the areas that needed fixed, and so far - not even close.

So Iím not shocked by today. Iím not even mad. Itís still only sept and Tomlin will keep working the team to improve. If they can get on the right side of the IFíS this might have a happy ending. Iím not optimistic however this happens soon.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Unfortunately the back ups on D are such a huge drop off from the starters, it’s going to be hard to win if they don’t come back soon.

No sacks today ending the record 76 regular season games with at least 1.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not real optimistic. Injuries are piling up.. and Ben just isnt a top tier QB anymore.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I’m trying to be optimistic and say the last two weeks were just bad play, but that’s a tall order.

I thought this would be a challenging season for the simple fact there where a lot of ‘IF’S’ that needed to occur for the team to win. In my mind back in July, the team would win:

IF - Ben played strong with a strong arm. He hasn’t
    IF - the o-line gave at least average line play. It hasn’t come close
    IF - we could get 100 yards a game rushing to keep the defense honest. We haven’t.
    IF - the defense could keep the game close and hold the opponent to less than 20. It hasn’t.

I suppose you could say those IF’s are true of any team - but after last seasons collapse those were the areas that needed fixed, and so far - not even close.

So I’m not shocked by today. I’m not even mad. It’s still only sept and Tomlin will keep working the team to improve. If they can get on the right side of the IF’S this might have a happy ending. I’m not optimistic however this happens soon.
    Time will tell.
    I see no value whatsoever in trying to make that call this early.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-26-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers continuously shoot themselves in the foot on offense. Difficult to win or get any offensive momentum with penalties and turnovers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Unfortunately the back ups on D are such a huge drop off from the starters, it’s going to be hard to win if they don’t come back soon.

No sacks today ending the record 76 regular season games with at least 1.
    heyward, ingram, bush, schobert, haden, sutton, fitz, edmunds played today

most teams would love to have that much talent on the defensive side of the ball

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Time will tell.
    Don’t think I’m making a call - just saying we have a lot to overcome.

Although if I had to make a call - I think Aaron Rodgers and the Packers are gonna light them up.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

most teams would love to have that much talent on the defensive side of the ball
    Come on get real.

Nevermind injured Watt.

Stephon Tuitt had more sacks last season than ALL THOSE GUYS COMBINED.

We do not have anything close to elite pass rush talent on this team without Watt and Tuitt.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-26-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Time will tell.
    I agree that it's not necessarily predictive of the future, but the offense has been pretty bad so far.
    17 points, 16 points, 10 points.

I think the D was great in game 1. Good in game 2. And OK today.

I don't think it's crazy to think that we could end up being a competitive team. Especially if we peak at the right time.

But it's not the way I'd bet if I had to put money down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

True. And if they had the Steelers offense it would look just as ugly.