Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So why is our offense this bad?

Legend

User Info Menu

So why is our offense this bad?

So what do you think is the reason why our offense is this bad?

Ben?
    OL?
    Matt Canada?
    Mike Tomlin?
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 09-20-2021 at 02:05 AM.
    Steel Maniac when he's wrong: "My predictions are time based." lmao

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben and its not even close.

Legend

User Info Menu

It really comes down to the same deal as last year.. if we cant run the ball.. we wont be serious contenders. We all know Ben is limited.. and perhaps that's part of why we cant run the ball.
    Not seeing him go under center.. back to that again��

Starter

User Info Menu

Right now the Steelers have a disadvantage at QB. Derek Carr played much better than Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Ben and its not even close.
    no zip on his passes downfield.

3rd and 12 we thrown it 5 yards

4th and 4 we run deep routes.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

It's probably all of the above to some extent. With Colbert added if we think the OL is really bad.

Hope we can figure out how to score more with the guys we have.

Because I dint think help is coming on any of these fronts (unless you think Banned is the savior of the OL).

Legend

User Info Menu

We need to fix our QB play and everything else will follow.

Until we can consistently push the ball downfield, the box will be overloaded and the OLine will be overwhelmed and the running game will struggle.

While I’m not sold on Haskins at all, I’m thinking he might be the only QB on our roster who can spread the field Ds must defend with his arm.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I still think it's more O-line than Ben - but I don't discount the drop-off in his ability to throw deep. I thought the most significant impact in the last few years was losing Munchak to Denver. That began the slow slide of our O-line towards putrid. I firmly believe there's no way an O-line under Mike Munchak ever falls to last in the league in rushing. Until that group starts imposing it's will and we can get to 100-130 yards per game, convert short yardage downs and keep the defense honest - we're screwed.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We need to fix our QB play and everything else will follow.

Until we can consistently push the ball downfield, the box will be overloaded and the OLine will be overwhelmed and the running game will struggle.

While I’m not sold on Haskins at all, I’m thinking he might be the only QB on our roster who can spread the field Ds must defend with his arm.
    Baltimore doesn't consistently push the ball downfield any better than we do. But they have a line that can create holes anyway.

I think the reverse of what you said is just as appropriate. Until we can consistently run and get more than negative yards - even when the box is not overloaded - our offense will struggle.

I also assumed that it would take a few games for the offense to settle in with Canada's new schemes. There have been some glimmers of hope. But our O-line doesn't seem to be manhandling anyone yet.

Haskins would be a disaster IMO. I haven't seen him do anything consistently. No defense is going to play scared of his passing game. At least with Rudolph, there is a very legitimate threat of a deep ball, though not much else. Ben is still the best QB on the team. But that isn't saying much at this point.

Legend

User Info Menu

We stayed with Ben one year too long. He is what he is at this point.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 11 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 4 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.