Page 71 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: "Never Get Rid of Mike Tomlin"

Legend

User Info Menu

It's because MT is one of the best if not the best coaches in the NFL. We can call it a ghetto mentality but its exactly how I would run a team. You know your players, what motivates and drives them. You tolerate a small amount of tomfoolery but you clamp down on the big stuff. You motivate people to be their best selves. That's Tomlin. He gets it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    It's because MT is one of the best if not the best coaches in the NFL. We can call it a ghetto mentality but its exactly how I would run a team. You know your players, what motivates and drives them. You tolerate a small amount of tomfoolery but you clamp down on the big stuff. You motivate people to be their best selves. That's Tomlin. He gets it.
    Man it's been a while since I've heard MT being referred to as "Best in the league". Not sure if he is deserving of that accolade, given his lack of success in the postseason these last 8 yrs or so..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Some will never let go of their irrational hatred of Tomlin. Year in and year out one of the very best in the NFL
    It's not irrational, it's emotionally based in ignorance. I put Tomlin in the league of one of the best coaches to ever coach in the NFL. I believe he is a HOF coach. He's going to lose Ben this year and still be competitive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Man it's been a while since I've heard MT being referred to as "Best in the league". Not sure if he is deserving of that accolade, given his lack of success in the postseason these last 8 yrs or so..
    I think he's a HOF coach. He's certainly better than Noll and Cowher. Noll was just a miserable coach in the 80's when his jackpot of drafts got old and retired. Cowher was better. Ben was Cowher's savior. Tomlin is 154-85-2. Cowher was 149-90-1. And Noll was 209-156-1. Noll is celebrated as a HOF coach but I could have taken over that kind of talent and slept on the field and still coached them to 4 SBs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think he's a HOF coach. He's certainly better than Noll and Cowher. Noll was just a miserable coach in the 80's when his jackpot of drafts got old and retired. Cowher was better. Ben was Cowher's savior. Tomlin is 154-85-2. Cowher was 149-90-1. And Noll was 209-156-1. Noll is celebrated as a HOF coach but I could have taken over that kind of talent and slept on the field and still coached them to 4 SBs.
    Lol, nope. Noll didn't have the benefit of free agency, which in fairness probably helped him keep the dynasty together. You got the Cowher/Tomlin comparison backward. Cowher won division titles and playoff games with a string of ham and eggers at QB, Tomlin coached his entire career with a HOF QB.

Both Noll and Cowher had signature upset playoff wins as big underdogs, multiple times in fact. Tomlin never has and has lost several as a heavy favorite.

He's easily third on that list.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Lol, nope. Noll didn't have the benefit of free agency, which in fairness probably helped him keep the dynasty together. You got the Cowher/Tomlin comparison backward. Cowher won division titles and playoff games with a string of ham and eggers at QB, Tomlin coached his entire career with a HOF QB.

Both Noll and Cowher had signature upset playoff wins as big underdogs, multiple times in fact. Tomlin never has and has lost several as a heavy favorite.

I mean your case for Cowher is solid but for Noll? Seriously? Outside a run of 5-6 good years with maybe the best collection of talent ever what did he do? I do agree Cowher was a good coach with subpar talent at QB for most of his career. Ok, how about this? Let the next 2-3 years help define Tomlin. I know what he did when BB went down and he was playing with ducks at QB. He still didn't have a losing season. So lets say Trubisky finally puts it together or KP is everything you think he will be. Will that mean it wasn't Tomlin? Lets say we are competitive and make the playoffs in the toughest division in the NFL. Will you acknowledge Tomlin then?
    Last edited by Shawn; 06-25-2022 at 10:35 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I mean your case for Cowher is solid but for Noll? Seriously? Outside a run of 5-6 good years with maybe the best collection of talent ever what did he do? I do agree Cowher was a good coach with subpar talent at QB for most of his career. Ok, how about this? Let the next 2-3 years help define Tomlin. I know what he did when BB went down and he was playing with ducks at QB. He still didn't have a losing season. So lets say Trubisky finally puts it together or KP is everything you think he will be. Lets say we are competitive and make the playoffs in the toughest division in the NFL. Will you acknowledge Tomlin then?
    I think Tomlin is a good coach, but not HOF. Too many disastrous playoff failures lately. Hoping I change my mind after he wins with Pickett for several years.

Noll won his first AFCC at Oakland as a 5.5-pt dog, won road playoff games at Houston and Denver as dogs with Bubby Brister and Mark Malone. Tomlin doesn't have any PO wins of that magnitude, and has several embarrassing PO losses as a significant favorite.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Tomlin is a good coach, but not HOF. Too many disastrous playoff failures lately. Hoping I change my mind after he wins with Pickett for several years.

Noll won his first AFCC at Oakland as a 5.5-pt dog, won road playoff games at Houston and Denver as dogs with Bubby Brister and Mark Malone. Tomlin doesn't have any PO wins of that magnitude, and has several embarrassing PO losses as a significant favorite.
    I'm sure I can find the same examples both ways but don't have the energy. Noll was only good with elite HOF talent. No doubt in my mind Tomlin is the better coach. But with Cowher its closer.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The delusional thinking is strong with this one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cowher doesn't get a pass on the QBs he had because he never valued the QB position. He had "ham and eggers" because he came from the Marty-ball tree where he wanted game managers and a strong running game...which is why he'd fail now. This is the guy who if allowed would had taken OT Shawn Andrews over Big Ben. Just go back and look at the Cowher drafts and the QBs he passed on. He created his QB legacy so he gets no pass.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"