Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: "Never Get Rid of Mike Tomlin"

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin HIMSELF identified the problem that forced him to take risks when he attempted the inside kick:

“We wanted to get the ball back,” Tomlin said. “We hadn’t stopped them convincingly enough to take any other approach in my opinion. And it was my decision.”

He pointed directly at the defense.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-16-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    If you lose a game by 2 and the kicker missed a FG, do you blame them for the loss?
    If he scored 35 points in field goals and missed one?

The other team score 45?

Heck on that one miss he could, whiff, pop it 10 yards into a defenders hands who runs it in for a touchdown and I'd blame the defense more.

I blame the defense, he did MORE than he needed to for victory.

And THAT is my point. Do we WANT error free football? Of course. But that ain't reality.

"If" you make mistakes, you CAN make up for them. Mahommes was SB MVP against the Niners and was TRASH.the first half.

Ben did MORE THAN should ever be expected to win a game. We didnt need elite defense. Nobody is saying that.

Right now, I would take a five TD 1 pick 1 fumble day EVERY WEEK, even early turnovers too.

I would bet on that team EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

You don't need elite defense to win NC.

AVERAGE defense will win those games.

I say it again.

IF BEN HAS THE EXACT SAME GAME EVERY PLAYOFF GAME WE WILL WIN THE SUPERBOWL, HE WILL BE MVP AND IT WOULD BE CALLED THE GREATEAT PERFORMANCE IN POST SEASON HISTORY BY ANY PLAYER.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-16-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Ben was asked about it. Answer below. Tomlin was asked about it and did not deny it. Haley was asked about it and confirmed that they don't like to do it

Stop twisting like a pretzel trying to put on Ben what is on the coaches.

BTW, I think it was more a Haley thing because Ben did his first QB sneak since 2015 the year after Haley was gone AGAINST Haley when he was OC of the Browns.

Nevertheless, buck stops with head coach who should now Bens success rate instead of the stupid calls they made.
    but check out Ben’s answer in your post. “I asked Tomlin to go empty backfield and run a QB draw”

whaaaat the fuuuuugh? That isn’t a QB sneak Ben.. lol. I would’ve laughed at him too.

The fact that Ben ran it against Haley and then we never saw it again since that Cleveland game tells me Ben also doesn’t prefer to run a QB sneak.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't understand this argument. To me, it says that Tomlin can coach well enough to win a Super Bowl.

So, are you saying he's a great coach but can't find his own talent? Because we have another guy in the front office who's more responsible for putting the talent on the team than Tomlin.,
    Right, it's very different than college basketball where UK has no salary cap to deal with - LOL
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Tomlin HIMSELF identified the problem that forced him to take risks when he attempted the inside kick:

“We wanted to get the ball back,” Tomlin said. “We hadn’t stopped them convincingly enough to take any other approach in my opinion. And it was my decision.”
    yeah.. when your offense is your strength every turnover hurts that much more.

Also, I believe both times that our D made stops the offense gave it right back with turnover on downs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Bell had 155 total yards and 2 TD’s.

Ben had to throw it 80% of the time because he had an INT and Fumble returned for a TD in the first half. Its hard to play “Steeler Football” when you have to throw the game plan out the window in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Behind the sticks? More like behind by 21 points in the first 20 minutes.

but I also think its why stats don’t really matter when you are down big early due largely in part to early turnovers. You will rack up yards and points trying to get back into the game. The other team tries a bend but don’t break approach too.

Also.. if you truly break it down you will see that we ran 22 plays for 150 yards and 2 TD’s in the last 4:19 minutes of the game. A lot of these numbers are hollow.. no beef to them at all.
    I'll clarify and say Bell's rushing was below the line that day. The Steelers were one dimensional pretty much because of their own doing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'll clarify and say Bell's rushing was below the line that day. The Steelers were one dimensional pretty much because of their own doing.
    Agreed. We have been forced to abandon our game plans far too early these last few playoff games.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I don't think anyone was above the line that day (coaches and players).

I think the difference between that game and the CLE game is only a distinction between how far below the line everyone was.

And I am also very hopeful that our new OC can solve the puzzle of why we start so slowly in games.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was there for the jags debacle. Saw that it was hot garbage, our season was over - so I never watched it again, excised the details from my memory, and moved on with life. I respect those of you that know that particular game so well you can dissect every play - but dang, you must all embrace the long line at the DMV or self checkout at Walmart behind the granny with blue hair. That affinity for self-flagellation isn’t healthy in my opinion.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I was there for the jags debacle. Saw that it was hot garbage, our season was over - so I never watched it again, excised the details from my memory, and moved on with life. I respect those of you that know that particular game so well you can dissect every play - but dang, you must all embrace the long line at the DMV or self checkout at Walmart behind the granny with blue hair. That affinity for self-flagellation isn’t healthy in my opinion.
    This is probably excellent advice.

I'll try to take it (despite being woefully below the line in this thread - and several others).