Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Never Get Rid of Mike Tomlin"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think it falls on the GM.

A head coach is going to play the QB that gives him the best chance to win.
    That and it's very difficult to move on from a Franchise QB who's headed for the hall of fame. That's not an easy decision to make. Ben is by far the best QB on the roster and we've yet to be able to bring in someone better.

Ben always shows enough to make you think anything is possible. Sadly, for the past several years, his play hasn't really been hall-of-fame-worthy in the playoffs. But there's hope, especially following last year, now that he's had a year to get used to his reparied arm.

It's not like the team hasn't looked for a replacment for Ben, especially following the season where he talked about retirement. That's when we selected Rudolph.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Amen, I'll take teams that are consistently in the hunt for playoff berths over the shooting star that hits it big one year, wins and then it takes another 5-6 years to put together a winning team. If you're in the tournament you have a chance to win the prize. If you're not in the tournament, you can't win the prize.

Pappy
    Me too Pappy...maybe because the only other team I care about (the Leafs) have been abysmal for most of the last 2 decades (trying to be charitable on the timeline here).

I also wish it were possible to see what healthy versions of our teams would have done in the last three playoff losses...especially the Pats and Jags games (I just don't think we were good enough last year even if the D was fully healthy).

But real life doesn't have a button to turn injuries off

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The outcome in single elimination games mostly comes down to a few plays and most of the time it involves the QB. It's tough to pin it all on the coach.

It's a very odd dichotomy that some people trust the org to find a new HC better than Tomlin, but they don't like the org's decision to keep him.

btw, for some perspective here's a list of HCs since 2000, guess what % has won a SB?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mr1fQi][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2mr1fQi]Capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr
    sorry guys, in my haste to post I didn't notice that it hasn't been updated in 5 yrs, so you can pretty much add at least one HC to every team not named NE, BAL, or PIT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Is it your honest opinion that coaching is the ONLY reason we've only gone to TWO SuperBowls with Tomlin?
    Lemming's got a knack for asking questions.

Because it doesn't matter how you answer this one.

How many teams have been to two SBs in this span?

Answer will be something about Cowher's players. Lemming will point out that Tomlin did better with Cowher's players than Cowher did.

...something about how the Matrix reboot looks to be similar to the original and hopefully it's not nearly as terrible as the latest Star Wars trilogy that started by repeating the OG movie...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    My guess…

I think McDermott has received praise for making the playoffs after a 25 to 30 year drought and he should stay the HC in Buffalo for a long time.

but again, I would suggest asking Bills fans or watching Bills highlights from the last 2 years if you really want to know.
    He looks to be a good head coach. If he continues to perform over the medium term, they should keep him.

Getting outcoached in a game isn't grounds for getting fired.

And I tend to think that a guy who publicly admits that he was outcoached is the same kind of guy that's looking into WHY he got outcoached to try to prevent it from happening in the same way in future games. This is exactly the kind of coach I think most teams would want (provided their adjustments tend to work over larger samples).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    That and it's very difficult to move on from a Franchise QB who's headed for the hall of fame. That's not an easy decision to make. Ben is by far the best QB on the roster and we've yet to be able to bring in someone better.

Ben always shows enough to make you think anything is possible. Sadly, for the past several years, his play hasn't really been hall-of-fame-worthy in the playoffs. But there's hope, especially following last year, now that he's had a year to get used to his reparied arm.

It's not like the team hasn't looked for a replacment for Ben, especially following the season where he talked about retirement. That's when we selected Rudolph.
    Correct.. and we also see how QB’s react when you draft one on the first round while they are still on the roster.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The outcome in single elimination games mostly comes down to a few plays and most of the time it involves the QB. It's tough to pin it all on the coach.

It's a very odd dichotomy that some people trust the org to find a new HC better than Tomlin, but they don't like the org's decision to keep him.

btw, for some perspective here's a list of HCs since 2000, guess what % has won a SB?
    I think it's very clear that QBs have more impact on games than HCs do.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Lemming's got a knack for asking questions.

Because it doesn't matter how you answer this one.

How many teams have been to two SBs in this span?

Answer will be something about Cowher's players. Lemming will point out that Tomlin did better with Cowher's players than Cowher did.

...something about how the Matrix reboot looks to be similar to the original and hopefully it's not nearly as terrible as the latest Star Wars trilogy that started by repeating the OG movie...
    Does that make me correct or incorrect in your opinion?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    He looks to be a good head coach. If he continues to perform over the medium term, they should keep him.

Getting outcoached in a game isn't grounds for getting fired.

And I tend to think that a guy who publicly admits that he was outcoached is the same kind of guy that's looking into WHY he got outcoached to try to prevent it from happening in the same way in future games. This is exactly the kind of coach I think most teams would want (provided their adjustments tend to work over larger samples).
    even if he has a down year or 2 do you really move on from him for the unknown?

when you make the playoffs 2 years and reach an AFCCG after not making the playoffs for 30 years you shouldn’t have to look over your shoulder for a while.

Maybe they will demand he loses 4 straight SB’s or he isn’t worthy?
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post

Ben always shows enough to make you think anything is possible. Sadly, for the past several years, his play hasn't really been hall-of-fame-worthy in the playoffs.
    I will once again make the point. I fault Ben for ONE recent playoff loss. The Browns game.

Jags game? EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU would pay no mind to HOW we fell behind if we won.

Do you even recall HOW Ben won Games? Sure wasn't because he was mistake free.

He was captain comeback. We say he "used" to be clutch?

How do elite defensive teams fall behind? They might give up scores but often is offensive mistakes. Or at least inept offense.

You CANNOT MOUNT A COMEBACK if the other team KEEPS SCORING.

THAT is the difference people.

If we don't allow 17 4th quarter points in the Jags loss...Bens comeback would be viewed as one of his best playoff games EVER.

Ben has ALWAYS been prone to a mistake or two in playoff games. We just won DESPITE them.

Sure Ben cannot shrug off defenders like he used to. But he is no more mistake prone than he ever was. He actually plays "smarter" in my opinion.

We USED to have a defense that made ya'll forget the mistakes that's all.

Dude threw a gazillion passed against an elite defense led by the seasons best secondary and had a 5 to 1 TD to intercecption ratio?

If you think the Jags game was bad...Ben is just not that good period because it is the norm. He is not a HOF worthy QB.

Just say the defense carried him, because he has plenty of post season win playing worse than that game.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; Yesterday at 12:48 PM.