Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Never Get Rid of Mike Tomlin"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't understand this argument. To me, it says that Tomlin can coach well enough to win a Super Bowl.

So, are you saying he's a great coach but can't find his own talent? Because we have another guy in the front office who's more responsible for putting the talent on the team than Tomlin.,
    its what people do when they don’t want to give a person credit.

We are called the Steelers not the Cowhers… lol.

When the Pens win championships no one points out when players were drafted and who was the coach at the time.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I always think this is one of the worst arguments anyone can make. You get rid of a very good to outstanding head coach because you are not satisfied because of a lack of championships. It is very difficult to win championships and any team that bows to fan pressure and fires an excellent head coach, because they think all they need is someone else and a championship will come very easily, lives to regret it.

That team then dips to bottom feeder status and is no longer contending and probably for a long stretch of time.
    Fortunately the Rooney's have never cared what vocal idiotic fans say or think. They just keep doing it the right way.

I would just love to know what of significance the fans who criticize the lack of championships have ever done in their own lives.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Fortunately the Rooney's have never cared what vocal idiotic fans say or think. They just keep doing it the right way.

I would just love to know what of significance the fans who criticize the lack of championships have ever done in their own lives.
    This.

The Rooney's approach the franchise as a business with a mission statement that's something like "be consistently competitive".

So we don't do knee jerk emotional firings.
    We don't sign huge external UFAs in the offseason (who rarely live up to their contracts).

We patiently build competitive teams by trusting the system we have in place. And that system has generally delivered on the goal of consistently good teams.

I generally assume that the people who hate Tomlin are in their 20s or early 30s...especially if they love Cowher.

I assume they aren't old enough to remember how bad Cowher's results were in the playoffs with superior teams. Or if they are old enough, that they've repressed these memories because he (almost) ended his career on a high note.

Chance / luck / randomness or whatever you want to call plays a big role in single game elimination tournaments. It shows up in how balls bounce, crazy bad snaps, injuries, etc.

But if you're consistently competitive, you are trying to maximize the number of lottery tickets you get, die you get to roll, or whatever other analogy you want to use.

Sometimes even getting into the playoffs by the skin of your teeth can win you a championship. Ask Cowher. The team he won with wasn't the best team in the tournament (and was arguably one of the worst). And he lost with teams that were pretty strong favorites.

The element of chance is what makes sports fun IMO...although it can also be a kick in the pants when all the stars are misaligned and you have a total **** show of a game like we did vs CLE.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 09-15-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    My concern and it always has been is this team is tied to how well our 39 year old QB can play. And to some degree, I think you can argue Tomlin has been hamstrung by Big Ben.

I love Ben and that's hard to say and Ben deserves all the credit for the early SuperBowl. But the last 10 years. Meh?
    If Ben has held Tomlin back so much, then why hasn't Tomlin changed QBs? I mean, if it happens for a couple of years, OK, but if the QB has been "hamstringing" the team, and it's been 10 years and he's still doing it, doesn't some of the responsibility fall on the HC to make a change?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This.

The Rooney's approach the franchise as a business with a mission statement that's something like "be consistently competitive".

So we don't do knee jerk emotional firings.
    We don't sign huge external UFAs in the offseason (who rarely live up to their contracts).

We patiently build competitive teams by trusting the system we have in place. And that system has generally delivered on the goal of consistently good teams.

I generally assume that the people who hate Tomlin are in their 20s or early 30s...especially if they love Cowher.

I assume they aren't old enough to remember how bad Cowher's results were in the playoffs with superior teams. Or if they are old enough, that they've repressed these memories because he (almost) ended his career on a high note.

Chance / luck / randomness or whatever you want to call plays a big role in single game elimination tournaments. It shows up in how balls bounce, crazy bad snaps, injuries, etc.

But if you're consistently competitive, you are trying to maximize the number of lottery tickets you get, die you get to roll, or whatever other analogy you want to use.

Sometimes even getting into the playoffs by the skin of your teeth can win you a championship. Ask Cowher. The team he won with wasn't the best team in the tournament (and was arguably one of the worst). And he lost with teams that were pretty strong favorites.

The element of chance is what makes sports fun IMO...although it can also be a kick in the pants when all the stars are misaligned and you have a total **** show of a game like we did vs CLE.
    Amen, I'll take teams that are consistently in the hunt for playoff berths over the shooting star that hits it big one year, wins and then it takes another 5-6 years to put together a winning team. If you're in the tournament you have a chance to win the prize. If you're not in the tournament, you can't win the prize.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KYPITTFAN View Post
    I have in the past called for Tomlin to move on. I am not so fickle to change my mind this easily. Tomlin is a coach whom most team would love to have. I am also glad he has been in Steeler country, I wish him no ill will. I'm from Kentucky where we have the same issue with Coach John Calipari at UK. Both coaches rack up lots of wins and fun seasons yet both seem to fall short of the goal (Championships). Tomlin won the SB with Cowers team. That's not even a debate. If we are satisfied with fun seasons and lots of wins, Tomlin is our man. If we want SB's it's time to move on.
    Is it your honest opinion that coaching is the ONLY reason we've only gone to TWO SuperBowls with Tomlin?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    what were people saying about McDermott the last 2 years when the bills beat the steelers?
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    No. You asked what people said about the Bills coach.

Go look or ask a Bills fan.
    I can guess.

"Sure his roster is more impressive, with a QB who is in his prime, it is still an impressive feat for McDermott to beat a future HOF coach like Mike Tomlin."
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-15-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If Ben has held Tomlin back so much, then why hasn't Tomlin changed QBs? I mean, if it happens for a couple of years, OK, but if the QB has been "hamstringing" the team, and it's been 10 years and he's still doing it, doesn't some of the responsibility fall on the HC to make a change?
    I think it falls on the GM.

A head coach is going to play the QB that gives him the best chance to win.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I can guess.

"Sure his roster is more impressive, with a QB who is in his prime, it is still an impressive feat for McDermott to beat a future HOF coach like Mike Tomlin."
    My guess…

I think McDermott has received praise for making the playoffs after a 25 to 30 year drought and he should stay the HC in Buffalo for a long time.

but again, I would suggest asking Bills fans or watching Bills highlights from the last 2 years if you really want to know.

Legend

User Info Menu

The outcome in single elimination games mostly comes down to a few plays and most of the time it involves the QB. It's tough to pin it all on the coach.

It's a very odd dichotomy that some people trust the org to find a new HC better than Tomlin, but they don't like the org's decision to keep him.

btw, for some perspective here's a list of HCs since 2000, guess what % has won a SB?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mr1fQi][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2mr1fQi]Capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr