Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Cam Sutton

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Cam Sutton

    I've always been a fan of his since I first saw him pre-draft. He was on one of those draft shows and talking (IIRC) with Coach Mooch. Coach put a play up on the screen, told him the defensive playcall, and asked him the specific duties of other defensive players. Sutton knew what every player was supposed to do.

    Fast forward to Sunday. Supposedly, watching film of the Bills from the pre-season, the coaches noticed that every time the Bills went for it on fourth and short they pounded it up the middle. They thought that the Bills were setting up a trick play off of this, and that the D should keep an eye out if in that situation. Sutton was the one defender outside the box on the defensive right side. The receiver he was covering motions from left to right. Sutton looks in the backfield and notices two runners lined up in the backfield offset left. Sutton breaks off his motion when he recognized what was about to happen. Allen took one step towards the line to fake that he was taking it before turning and throwing it back. Offensive line blocking breaks down as there are now more defenders than expected coming off their left side. He was 7 yards into the backfield as the back received the pass. As ugly as that play looked, it could easily have been much different if Sutton hadn't sniffed it out.
    Last edited by steeler_fan_in_t.o.; 09-14-2021 at 11:46 AM.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    No one will ever be Troy.

    But that play was Troy-like in that Sutton seemed to know what was going to happen.

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    No one will ever be Troy.

    But that play was Troy-like in that Sutton seemed to know what was going to happen.
    Absolutely. In an interview on Sunday Jameis Winston said something about a coach telling him that pressure is for the unprepared. I don't think that anyone is better mentally prepared than Cam Sutton.

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I've always been a fan of his since I first saw him pre-draft. He was on one of those draft shows and talking (IIRC) with Coach Mooch. Coach put a play up on the screen, told him the defensive playcall, and asked him the specific duties of other defensive players. Sutton knew what every player was supposed to do.

    Fast forward to Sunday. Supposedly, watching film of the Bills from the pre-season, the coaches noticed that every time the Bills went for it on fourth and short they pounded it up the middle. They thought that the Bills were setting up a trick play off of this, and that the D should keep an eye out if in that situation. Sutton was the one defender outside the box on the defensive right side. The receiver he was covering motions from left to right. Sutton looks in the backfield and notices two runners lined up in the backfield offset left. Sutton breaks off his motion when he recognized what was about to happen. Allen took one step towards the line to fake that he was taking it before turning and throwing it back. Offensive line blocking breaks down as there are now more defenders than expected coming off their left side. He was 7 yards into the backfield as the back received the pass. As ugly as that play looked, it could easily have been much different if Sutton hadn't sniffed it out.
    beautiful play by Sutton. Not sure he was supposed to follow the We in motion. We were probably in zone.

    But I think the Bills expected him to be in no mans land and he attacked it like a boss.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    No one will ever be Troy.

    But that play was Troy-like in that Sutton seemed to know what was going to happen.
    You ever see the interview of Ike saying how Troy knew the plays?

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    beautiful play by Sutton. Not sure he was supposed to follow the We in motion. We were probably in zone.

    But I think the Bills expected him to be in no mans land and he attacked it like a boss.
    I thought the ghost of Mike Hilton showed up for that play.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I am thinking, as I watch Cam play, that we FINALLY got lucky and landed a quality DB in the mid-rounds. (3rd round) My question is, what took him so long to get playing time? He was drafted in 2017. You can't convince me it took 5 years to get him ready for a starting gig. If he continues on this path, how long until we lose him in FA?

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I am thinking, as I watch Cam play, that we FINALLY got lucky and landed a quality DB in the mid-rounds. (3rd round) My question is, what took him so long to get playing time? He was drafted in 2017. You can't convince me it took 5 years to get him ready for a starting gig. If he continues on this path, how long until we lose him in FA?
    He got playing time but I think Haden going down gave him an opportunity to show he was ready.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You ever see the interview of Ike saying how Troy knew the plays?
    Is that the one with Pat McAffee where they're talking about how the only reason he didn't score a TD in the NFL (in his hometown) is because Troy talks to Jesus during games?

    Those are two guys (Ike and McAffee) who would be awesome to throw down some beers with.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I am thinking, as I watch Cam play, that we FINALLY got lucky and landed a quality DB in the mid-rounds. (3rd round) My question is, what took him so long to get playing time? He was drafted in 2017. You can't convince me it took 5 years to get him ready for a starting gig. If he continues on this path, how long until we lose him in FA?
    His contract voids after next season (not this one).

    At that point, we should see a drop in dead money (big hits coming next season), no expensive QB on the books, and an increase in the cap as new TV money comes in.

    Hopefully that means we'll be able to keep him if we want to.

    Probably for long enough that he'll be in an age range where he'd start to decline after that contract.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •