Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it fair to say, no real surprises today?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Is it fair to say, no real surprises today?

Off the top - great way to start the season (obviously)......

But as I watched the game a second time and tried to dissect it, it occurred to me the questions I had about the team and the potential areas for concern pretty much played out as most of us probably expected.

as such:

I expected the Defense to be stout. Losing Bud was a concern, but highsmith showed real potential last year and i thought it wouldn't be that much of a drop off. Then when you factor in the players Colbert added such as Ingram and Schobert I thought we actually ended up with an upgraded unit. I think that showed today.

I expected Ben in his 18th year to be on his game and have total mastery of the offense. That's what we got.

I expected our WR corp to be explosive and all three of our top guys should give the defense fits trying to decide whom to cover. That's how it played out.

I thought this game would revolve around our revamped O-line and THAT was the major concern. How would our rookie center and LT perform? How would the unit gel and could we establish a running game? I thought they played sound football. Some really good plays in there. Some - not so good. But overall, I think the line did a good (not great) job - which is probably the best we could have hoped for in week 1. It was good enough to spring a few holes, to generate some short yardage first downs, to give Ben just enough time on a few plays, to keep the chains moving.

I thought Najee would likely have tough sledding behind this young line - and for the most part he did. He ran hard, made a few plays and was effective just enough to keep the defense mostly honest. I think as a rookie he'll learn to be a bit more explosive initially and decisive on hitting the hole. There is going to be a learning curve for both NH and the O-line for the first half of the season. My hope is they start to really hit their stride for the last half.

I thought going into this game, the defense would keep it close - the offense would struggle and if we were to win, Ben would have to be on his 'A' game with probably not very much of a run game to support him. I think that's pretty much what happened - thus my title of no real surprises. (although a rare ST touchdown on the blocked punt was a nice surprise).

It's only one game - but to go into Buffalo against a team that has legitimate SB aspirations and grab a win, that's the way to start the season. I suspect we're going to pull a lot of hair out watching the offense build cohesion - but if the defense keeps us in the game and Ben stays healthy, well...................fingers crossed.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Game player out as expected except for the blocked punt. No way did I think we would get 7 from our ST’s.

I thought Najee would be used more in the passing game.. not as a safety valve
    but maybe a screen or planned dump off in the flat.

Ben played well but there were a few throws I think he would like to have back but I did hear someone say it was windy on the field so maybe that is why a few passes got away from him.

Overall tho.. solid effort all around. Najee needs to realize this isn’t college and these aren’t practice squad players.

There was a running play early on that looked promising but the lineman who was pulling was like 4 yards deep in the backfield. Najee was pissed.. if that lineman gets upfield and puts a hat on someone who knows.. might’ve been a long gainer.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Good start. Like many thought, some high points and some rough spots but overall you see the potential on both sides of the ball. Barring injuries to key players, we will be in contention.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Off the top - great way to start the season (obviously)......

But as I watched the game a second time and tried to dissect it, it occurred to me the questions I had about the team and the potential areas for concern pretty much played out as most of us probably expected.

as such:

I expected the Defense to be stout. Losing Bud was a concern, but highsmith showed real potential last year and i thought it wouldn't be that much of a drop off. Then when you factor in the players Colbert added such as Ingram and Schobert I thought we actually ended up with an upgraded unit. I think that showed today. Although there were less questions on D going into this season, there WAS a LOT of angst about the secondary with the loss of Nelson and Hilton. If this is now who they are, these moves will be a huge upgrade. This defense is built for the pass and it showed. BUF made a mistake by not trying to run more (they started to do it in the second half).

I expected Ben in his 18th year to be on his game and have total mastery of the offense. That's what we got. I thought Roethlisberger had an average game. Missed some easy throws but also made the defense pay on single coverage. What WAS different was his movement in the pocket. He was sliding right, sliding left, stepping up to get to better throwing lanes. And his 16 yd run was actually shocking.

I expected our WR corp to be explosive and all three of our top guys should give the defense fits trying to decide whom to cover. That's how it played out. Agreed.

I thought this game would revolve around our revamped O-line and THAT was the major concern. How would our rookie center and LT perform? How would the unit gel and could we establish a running game? I thought they played sound football. Some really good plays in there. Some - not so good. But overall, I think the line did a good (not great) job - which is probably the best we could have hoped for in week 1. It was good enough to spring a few holes, to generate some short yardage first downs, to give Ben just enough time on a few plays, to keep the chains moving. The biggest drawback with rookies is their inconsistencies from play to play. It was evident in everybody's case but Chuks. He was consistently BAD...

I thought Najee would likely have tough sledding behind this young line - and for the most part he did. He ran hard, made a few plays and was effective just enough to keep the defense mostly honest. I think as a rookie he'll learn to be a bit more explosive initially and decisive on hitting the hole. There is going to be a learning curve for both NH and the O-line for the first half of the season. My hope is they start to really hit their stride for the last half. He got his feet wet in an actual game but his true value in this game was his blocking to help the OL. He had a very good effort.

I thought going into this game, the defense would keep it close - the offense would struggle and if we were to win, Ben would have to be on his 'A' game with probably not very much of a run game to support him. I think that's pretty much what happened - thus my title of no real surprises. (although a rare ST touchdown on the blocked punt was a nice surprise). Again, disagree Roethlisberger had an 'A' game. ... he got lucky on his INT that was negated by a BUF penalty so avoided the big mistake we all fear.

It's only one game - but to go into Buffalo against a team that has legitimate SB aspirations and grab a win, that's the way to start the season. I suspect we're going to pull a lot of hair out watching the offense build cohesion - but if the defense keeps us in the game and Ben stays healthy, well...................fingers crossed
    good stuff StarL...my thoughts
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 09-13-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I expected the Defense to be stout. Losing Bud was a concern, but highsmith showed real potential last year and i thought it wouldn't be that much of a drop off. Then when you factor in the players Colbert added such as Ingram and Schobert I thought we actually ended up with an upgraded unit. I think that showed today.
    While you may have expected the D to be stout, yesterday's performance was more than just stout. It may only be week 1, but the Buffalo offense is expected to be one of the league's best. The Steelers D held them to 1 TD...1! This is a team that scored 501 points last season (31.3/game) and is easily expected to be a top 5 team in the league - playing at home in the season opener.

The Bills opened the game with a kick return to the Steelers 24 yard line. On the very first drive, they held the Bills to three and out from the 24.

Obviously this was one game of 17, but Sunday's defensive effort was elite. As my investments always warn me - historical returns are not an indication of future results, but I'd say it's a good start.

Legend

User Info Menu

Agree with the points above:

Defense was better than I thought (secondary play specifically...but even pressure was better or at least at the high end of expectations).

Punt block TD is a fluke...although D. Smith usually does get some good punt pressure despite other flaws.

I didn't watch the first half because I was doing family stuff I couldn't get out of. But saying Ben had mastery of the offense seems like a stretch in a game where they O scored 16 points. I think this is good news because they can get a lot better.

While not flawless, certainly a great game. And I think it's very positive that we beat one of the favorites in the AFC in a game where the O only showed up in the second half (and only scored 1 TD).

Looking for better OL play to elevate that offense.

If the D can play close to this consistently (hard to imagine they could do this every week), then we could be in for a special season. And I'll be very, very happy to have underestimated them.

Still the the division will be tough to win after watching the Browns play. Will be interesting to see how the Rats handle all the injuries today.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only "give back" points the defense allowed were when the game was out of reach and the Steelers kicked their final FG to make the score 23-13, the defense gave up the Bills final points on the next drive. When the game was in the balance, every time the Steelers scored the defense didn't allow the Bills to come right back and score points. That helps keep momentum on your side and gives your offense a chance to stack scores.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The only "give back" points the defense allowed were when the game was out of reach and the Steelers kicked their final FG to make the score 23-13, the defense gave up the Bills final points on the next drive. When the game was in the balance, every time the Steelers scored the defense didn't allow the Bills to come right back and score points. That helps keep momentum on your side and gives your offense a chance to stack scores.

Pappy
    Yep. I think we all knew the D would have to carry the load in this one to win.

They didn't disappoint.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can I just highlight how fortunate we are? Seriously, go into Buffalo and *win* with a team that we know has room to improve on offense?

I came into this season wondering if the struggles that we'd have would cause the team to insert one of the young QB to get a preview for next year. I know it's just week 1, but now it's SB or bust all over again. That defense is just ridiculous.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

While some say the OL didn't look great, keep in mind what it looked like last season when they played BUF. The difference was noticeable in my opinion.