Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: This Team Has Evolved Defensively

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    It is hard to use last year as a barometer because of the quick throw, short passing game that they went with. The only game that it seemed that the O did not follow that approach was the Colts comeback game, and Ben was zipping the ball into tight windows downfield in that game.

If this line gets to the point where they can allow Najee to run and give Ben time to throw, we will see if he is up to the challenge.

BTW, welcome LP
    IIRC, we used this game plan the year before he got hurt too.

It's just that it was newer so it maybe didn't get picked up on as much.

Last year, teams just stopped respecting our ability to throw deep (and maybe intermediate).

I hope it's the line and not the QB. We'll learn more in the next 17 weeks.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

It is hard to use last year as a barometer because of the quick throw, short passing game that they went with. The only game that it seemed that the O did not follow that approach was the Colts comeback game, and Ben was zipping the ball into tight windows downfield in that game.

If this line gets to the point where they can allow Najee to run and give Ben time to throw, we will see if he is up to the challenge.

BTW, welcome LP
    Thanks SFITO! what's TO? First thing that comes to my mind is TIME OUT.....LOL

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    IIRC, we used this game plan the year before he got hurt too.

It's just that it was newer so it maybe didn't get picked up on as much.

Last year, teams just stopped respecting our ability to throw deep (and maybe intermediate).

from the reports (youtube vid) of lolley and Dejan, they mentioned the throws ben was making were much different then last year's camp. mentioning they weren't even trying some of the deeper stuff they saw this year.

hopefully that wasn't just some homer yinzer media talk

PS. i'll look for the actual youtube link when i'm not busy since some people think I just make up
    stuff
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 09-15-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that we know for sure that it was the line. Now we have to find out if it was the QB as well, but I think that he was throwing five yards at a time whether he could have gone deeper or not.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LPMAN View Post
    Thanks SFITO! what's TO? First thing that comes to my mind is TIME OUT.....LOL
    LOL...T.O. is Toronto, but last year Ontario was the most locked down jurisdiction in North America, so maybe it was time out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    from the reports (youtube vid) of lolley and Dejan, they mentioned the throws ben was making were much different then last year's camp. mentioning they weren't even trying some of the deeper stuff they saw this year.

hopefully that wasn't just some homer yinzer media talk

PS. i'll look for the actual youtube link when i'm not busy since some people think I just make up
    stuff
    I remember this report.

That is what they said.

And then I think they pointed to it after the pre-season game where he had a perfect QB rating in 2 drives.

Hope it translates to the regular season

Legend

User Info Menu

I remember this report.

That is what they said.

And then I think they pointed to it after the pre-season game where he had a perfect QB rating in 2 drives.

Hope it translates to the regular season

yes, lets hope they weren't blowing smoke up our butts

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    part of this is just first game jitters and the typical slow start on offense.

These next few games will tell us a lot about this OL and this offense.
    I agree. The O and the young OL got better in the 2nd half against a good Bills D.
    Hopefully over time, the ground game should improve with better timing and coordination on pulling and traps.
    An improved ground game will open the D up for play-action. And where is Derek Watt, besides on STs?
    The dump-offs to Najee have to improve. That could help the O out a lot.

The young OL did experience growing pains in their first game. But at least they didnít beat themselves.
    The OL of the high powered Bills O had 6 holding calls, 4 accepted and gave up 3 sacks.
    The Steelers OL had 1 penalty (false start) and 0 drive killing penalties, gave up 2 sacks and didnít blink.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monalo View Post
    I agree. The O and the young OL got better in the 2nd half against a good Bills D.
    Hopefully over time, the ground game should improve with better timing and coordination on pulling and traps.
    An improved ground game will open the D up for play-action. And where is Derek Watt, besides on STs?
    The dump-offs to Najee have to improve. That could help the O out a lot.

The young OL did experience growing pains in their first game. But at least they didn’t beat themselves.
    The OL of the high powered Bills O had 6 holding calls, 4 accepted and gave up 3 sacks.
    The Steelers OL had 1 penalty (false start) and 0 drive killing penalties, gave up 2 sacks and didn’t blink.
    4 rooks - 2 on the OL obviously all playing their first ever games
    4 new starters on OL, and the fifth barely practiced at his position all off-season
    new offense with a new OC
    first time second year players playing in the NFL in front of fans
    first time in career Ben had no OC on the sideline
    windy conditions
    hostile environment

I'd say there is reason to believe that this offense will continue to improve.

Legend

User Info Menu

4 rooks - 2 on the OL obviously all playing their first ever games
    4 new starters on OL, and the fifth barely practiced at his position all off-season
    new offense with a new OC
    first time second year players playing in the NFL in front of fans
    first time in career Ben had no OC on the sideline
    windy conditions
    hostile environment

I'd say there is reason to believe that this offense will continue to improve.
    exactly.. given the W and the improvements after half time I really don’t see why people are saying the OL was bad.

I guess they expected a ton pf points and Najee running like crazy through huge holes. I HOPED it would happen but I knew it would be a grind vs Buffalo.

and only 3 or 4 people on this board picked us to win. I think we should be a bit more positive all things considered.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?