Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 91

Thread: This Team Has Evolved Defensively

  1. #41
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    and nothing I said takes away from that stat.

    once you learn the Lebeau playbook you are good to go but the problem is a lot of these players came in and couldn’t grasp it.

    I’m not talking about players simply not being able to make football plays. I’m talking about players struggling to line up correctly or understand their assignments.

    Troy once told a DB the only way to really understand the defense is to know what every players assignment is on defense. That is too much information for most DB’s.
    And what was the discussion here Dizz? We have smart secondary players who do just that.

    You forget that our secondary struggled because we were STARTING scrubs, who were too terrible for other teams to keep AS BACKUPS.

    We had Brice McCain and Antwon Blake starting games and ya'll blaming a coach? Willie Gay was OK as a 3rd corner in zone but he ain't supposed to be any teams best corner.

    Then we draft Burns who could not get the defense. Was Butler able to fix that? The Bears or whatever team he is on able to make him the star his talent says he should be?

    Dude people wanted to fire Butler until we got Haden a Maniac of film study. Then we drafted TJ helping the rush and aquired Nelson then Minkah. We drafted a corner who coming out of college had the reputation as EXTREMELY smart. Dude is coming into his own in Sutton. Pierre looks like a quick study too.

    It ain't the coach it is the players.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-14-2021 at 09:19 AM.

  2. #42
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Y’all are just one play away from the Flippy Zone. Hoisting a Lombardi locks you in for at least a year or so. So get ready Cap!!!


    It's the offense that will probably eventually burst my bubble.

    But I'm enjoying this win.

    I love defensive football, and it feels rare to see games like the one we had this week.

    Imagine if our offense wasn't bad? Hopefully we get to "not bad" before the end of the year.

    If I put my realism hat on, we may have only won because Allen overthrew Sanders and we got a rare blocked punt for a TD (which is a pretty random thing). But it's still a good win.

    And knowing there is lots of room for improvement on the O is a positive thing.

    I guess the downside is that it's unlikely the D plays that well consistently.

  3. #43
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    And what was the discussion here Dizz? We have smart secondary players who do just that.

    You forget that our secondary struggled because we were STARTING scrubs, who were too terrible for other teams to keep AS BACKUPS.

    We had Brice McCain and Antwon Blake starting games and ya'll blaming a coach? Willie Gay was OK as a 3rd corner in zone but he ain't supposed to be any teams best corner.

    Then we draft Burns who could not get the defense. Was Butler able to fix that? The Bears or whatever team he is on able to make him the star his talent says he should be?

    Dude people wanted to fire Butler until we got Haden a Maniac of film study. Then we drafted TJ helping the rush and aquired Nelson then Minkah. We drafted a corner who coming out of college had the reputation as EXTREMELY smart. Dude is coming into his own in Sutton. Pierre looks like a quick study too.

    It ain't the coach it is the players.
    Parcells said it right on Sunday; "a coach can lose games when they have the players, but I guarantee he can't win if he doesn't have them".

  4. #44
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    And what was the discussion here Dizz? We have smart secondary players who do just that.

    You forget that our secondary struggled because we were STARTING scrubs, who were too terrible for other teams to keep AS BACKUPS.

    We had Brice McCain and Antwon Blake starting games and ya'll blaming a coach? Willie Gay was OK as a 3rd corner in zone but he ain't supposed to be any teams best corner.

    Then we draft Burns who could not get the defense. Was Butler able to fix that? The Bears or whatever team he is on able to make him the star his talent says he should be?

    Dude people wanted to fire Butler until we got Haden a Maniac of film study. Then we drafted TJ helping the rush and aquired Nelson then Minkah. We drafted a corner who coming out of college had the reputation as EXTREMELY smart. Dude is coming into his own in Sutton. Pierre looks like a quick study too.

    It ain't the coach it is the players.
    you are forgetting that I also started my initial post by saying a players skill or lack of it can’t be ignored in this conversation.

    Who cares that people wanted Butler fired. People always want coaches fired regardless of results.

    Of course better players make a defense better but I guess we just drafted idiots while Lebeau was here and now we draft geniuses for Butler.

    Its on record that we needed to simplify the D. Not sure why you think that means Lebeau wasn’t a great coordinator.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  5. #45
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post


    It's the offense that will probably eventually burst my bubble.

    But I'm enjoying this win.

    I love defensive football, and it feels rare to see games like the one we had this week.

    Imagine if our offense wasn't bad? Hopefully we get to "not bad" before the end of the year.

    If I put my realism hat on, we may have only won because Allen overthrew Sanders and we got a rare blocked punt for a TD (which is a pretty random thing). But it's still a good win.

    And knowing there is lots of room for improvement on the O is a positive thing.

    I guess the downside is that it's unlikely the D plays that well consistently.
    Even if we were not supposed to win, we won. Just look at Cleveland. They probably should have won their game but did not. I will take the former every time. It tells me we are clutch and can grind it out in the playoffs if need be.

    The Browns, not so likely when it is down to the wire.

  6. #46
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    not to dump on Lebrau but I always felt like our DBís were overwhelmed by the playbook. Too busy trying to remember assignments instead of playing football the way they have their entire career.

    Not saying these players werenít also responsible for their shortcomings but we rarely saw players come in and play great ball early in their careers in our scheme.

    Now guys are flying around making plays and attacking.
    I think that it took all defenders (not just DBs) awhile to learn the Lebeau playbook. We all remember the days of knowing that no rookie would unseat a vet on that D, no matter how good the rook was. It was a very complicated system, but once understood, it was the best defensive stretch since the 70s.

  7. #47
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that it took all defenders (not just DBs) awhile to learn the Lebeau playbook. We all remember the days of knowing that no rookie would unseat a vet on that D, no matter how good the rook was. It was a very complicated system, but once understood, it was the best defensive stretch since the 70s.
    I used to laugh when people were clamoring for rookies to start under Lebeau. We had the best defense in the league. It was hard to break in.

    A bunch of rookies starting means your veterans are BAD.

    "Butlers defense is simple so he can start rookies"?

    He DID when the defense was bad (as did Lebeau towards the end).

    Notice we haven't started any rookie defenders LATELY? Why? Defense is ballin.

    That is why our offense is teaming with rookies, while our defense is so deep not only are no rookies starting, we cut and LOST a very promising rookie linebacker.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-14-2021 at 11:33 AM.

  8. #48
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that it took all defenders (not just DBs) awhile to learn the Lebeau playbook. We all remember the days of knowing that no rookie would unseat a vet on that D, no matter how good the rook was. It was a very complicated system, but once understood, it was the best defensive stretch since the 70s.
    yes.. the problem is when a defender went down the back up was usually on the field asking players “wtf do I dooooo???”
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  9. #49
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post


    It's the offense that will probably eventually burst my bubble.

    But I'm enjoying this win.

    I love defensive football, and it feels rare to see games like the one we had this week.

    Imagine if our offense wasn't bad? Hopefully we get to "not bad" before the end of the year.

    If I put my realism hat on, we may have only won because Allen overthrew Sanders and we got a rare blocked punt for a TD (which is a pretty random thing). But it's still a good win.

    And knowing there is lots of room for improvement on the O is a positive thing.

    I guess the downside is that it's unlikely the D plays that well consistently.
    Not sure why you think our offense was bad. I think we won a slugfest with a physical team and kept it close to the vest for obvious reasons.

    We were a bit conservative but I think that is because it was loud as hell and we have a relatively young offense outside of Ben and Ebron.

    I liked our philosophy on offense for this game. Just think Ben and Najee need to work on their timing and we will see those passes underneath to Najee pay off.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  10. #50
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yes.. the problem is when a defender went down the back up was usually on the field asking players “wtf do I dooooo???”
    Examples?????

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •