Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: This Team Has Evolved Defensively

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    exactly.. given the W and the improvements after half time I really don’t see why people are saying the OL was bad.

I guess they expected a ton pf points and Najee running like crazy through huge holes. I HOPED it would happen but I knew it would be a grind vs Buffalo.

and only 3 or 4 people on this board picked us to win. I think we should be a bit more positive all things considered.
    I’m one of those that picked us to win by 20-17, also said that our D would keep it close.

Under the circumstances SFITO outlined, I think our OL did pretty good with plenty of room for growth.
    I’ve said all along that this OL will be better than a lot of people think, but it will take time. Not bad so far.
    It’s very early yet, but looks like Klemm is doing a good job with these youngsters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monalo View Post
    I’m one of those that picked us to win by 20-17, also said that our D would keep it close.

Under the circumstances SFITO outlined, I think our OL did pretty good with plenty of room for growth.
    I’ve said all along that this OL will be better than a lot of people think, but it will take time. Not bad so far.
    It’s very early yet, but looks like Klemm is doing a good job with these youngsters.
    Nice call!

I'm hoping that the OL sees the improvement we all want to see.

If that happens and the D can stay somewhere near the level we saw last week*, we could even contend this year.

* I think this will be hard because that was such a good performance. And it sounds like we put some new stuff on tape that other teams will probably adapt too. But if our CB play remains good, I think our D will be very good because we'll get lots of pressure again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    exactly.. given the W and the improvements after half time I really donít see why people are saying the OL was bad.

I guess they expected a ton pf points and Najee running like crazy through huge holes. I HOPED it would happen but I knew it would be a grind vs Buffalo.

and only 3 or 4 people on this board picked us to win. I think we should be a bit more positive all things considered.
    I've never understood why people act like every player is a finished product instead of a work in progress. Especially young players. We've all been watching sports for a long time, and while we hope that everyone comes in and dominates from day 1, we also can't forget that each player and team works on its own timeline.

I was reminding someone yesterday, 2020 Tampa Bay Bucs. They were 7-5 heading into the bye and looked like a .500 team. They have not lost since.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Nice call!

I'm hoping that the OL sees the improvement we all want to see.

If that happens and the D can stay somewhere near the level we saw last week*, we could even contend this year.

* I think this will be hard because that was such a good performance. And it sounds like we put some new stuff on tape that other teams will probably adapt too. But if our CB play remains good, I think our D will be very good because we'll get lots of pressure again.
    Thanks.

I think our D will remain at a high level as long as the injury bug doesn’t hit them.
    You’re right, good DB play is also a key.
    The DL is solid and will get even better when Tuitt returns.
    Our OLB rotation looks awesome and the ILBs are faster and cover much better than last year.
    They’ve also added a couple new wrinkles to keep em guessing.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I've never understood why people act like every player is a finished product instead of a work in progress. Especially young players. We've all been watching sports for a long time, and while we hope that everyone comes in and dominates from day 1, we also can't forget that each player and team works on its own timeline.

I was reminding someone yesterday, 2020 Tampa Bay Bucs. They were 7-5 heading into the bye and looked like a .500 team. They have not lost since.
    You're absolutely right. Almost all rookies are a work in progress. Very rarely do they come in NFL ready.

It also takes time for a unit with high turnover to get in sync, like our OL, especially starting 2 rookies.
    Last edited by Monalo; 09-16-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'll also just add that Spillane was a last minute scratch this past week. Take that for what it's worth.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks.

I think our D will remain at a high level as long as the injury bug doesn’t hit them.
    You’re right, good DB play is also a key.
    The DL is solid and will get even better when Tuitt returns.
    Our OLB rotation looks awesome and the ILBs are faster and cover much better than last year.
    They’ve also added a couple new wrinkles to keep em guessing.
    Very excited about this prospect.

One of the things I think I got wrong this preseason was that I was down on the play of our 2nd string DL. Can't remember which PS game it was, but it seemed like we were giving up lots of yards on the ground. But I think it may have been Spillane regressing to the mean and not poor play by the backup DL, which seems to be playing OK without Tuitt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'll also just add that Spillane was a last minute scratch this past week. Take that for what it's worth.
    And UGIII scored a ST TD. So maybe he keeps getting a helmet over Spillane for now?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    One of the things I think I got wrong this preseason was that I was down on the play of our 2nd string DL. Can't remember which PS game it was, but it seemed like we were giving up lots of yards on the ground. But I think it may have been Spillane regressing to the mean and not poor play by the backup DL, which seems to be playing OK without Tuitt.
    The starters didn't (or barely) play in the pre season. So, the backups were going against the starters, the practice squad guys were going against the backups, and then the future insurance salesmen were playing at the end.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nice… I had us winning 17-13.

I was hoping to see Najee grind clock and have a few catches as well. I thought he had a TD in the flat but I guess the wind got under that one.. lol.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?