Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 86

Thread: This Team Has Evolved Defensively

  1. #61
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hackjam View Post
    NJ is the only other familiar name I see around so far.

    ahhh, i knew i recognized that name from somewhere.

    what's up hackJ
    what's up LP

  2. #62
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    It kinda reminded me of how we used to win SuperBowls.
    Back then, Ben could push the ball downfield. I think thatís still the concern. Does he hold us back?

    I think we have all the prieces around him and heís the big question mark at this point.

  3. #63
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Back then, Ben could push the ball downfield. I think that’s still the concern. Does he hold us back?

    I think we have all the prieces around him and he’s the big question mark at this point.
    That is the million dollar question indeed. I can see us hitting a rough stretch, once we start laying some more footage down for teams to scout. If we dont have success with the vertical passing game, we will likely be a fringe team again this year (even with an elite D)

  4. #64
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Back then, Ben could push the ball downfield. I think that’s still the concern. Does he hold us back?

    I think we have all the prieces around him and he’s the big question mark at this point.
    I disagree that it is Ben that this rests on. I believe that it is more likely the improvement of the line that will be the driving force. This is what I have been saying all off-season. The line is a work in progress. We can only expect that it will improve as time goes on. The running game will improve as the line improves. At that point, if Ben can't get the job done then it is on him, but based on what we see now, he is not singlehandedly holding the O back.

    Another huge thing I saw too much of on Sunday was the number of miscommunications between Ben and the receivers. Without knowing exactly who was to blame on those it just needs to be fixed.

  5. #65
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Back then, Ben could push the ball downfield. I think that’s still the concern. Does he hold us back?

    I think we have all the prieces around him and he’s the big question mark at this point.
    I don't think the issue is with Bens arm.
    I think alot of the inability to push the ball deep is the lines inability to provide time for longer routes.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; Yesterday at 11:00 AM.

  6. #66
    Rookie

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    ahhh, i knew i recognized that name from somewhere.

    what's up hackJ
    what's up LP
    Not much NJ.....SN is dead so i'm trying this place out.

  7. #67
    Rookie

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I don't think the issue is with Bens arm.
    I think alot of the inability to push the ball deep is the lines inability to provide time for longer routes.
    That's what i thought too until Ray Fittipaldo in the offseason said Ben's arm got weaker every game second half of last season. Let's hope that after a year removed from the surgery his arm holds up all year.

  8. #68
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I disagree that it is Ben that this rests on. I believe that it is more likely the improvement of the line that will be the driving force. This is what I have been saying all off-season. The line is a work in progress. We can only expect that it will improve as time goes on. The running game will improve as the line improves. At that point, if Ben can't get the job done then it is on him, but based on what we see now, he is not singlehandedly holding the O back.

    Another huge thing I saw too much of on Sunday was the number of miscommunications between Ben and the receivers. Without knowing exactly who was to blame on those it just needs to be fixed.
    part of this is just first game jitters and the typical slow start on offense.

    These next few games will tell us a lot about this OL and this offense.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  9. #69
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Not sure anyone else noticed this but there were a number times Roethlisberger adjusted his release so as to avoid a batted ball, kinda side-armed it rather than over the shoulder. Wonder if this is something he worked on in the offseason.
    If the Steelers can manage to get the run game going, Roethlisberger only needs to be a game-managing QB that avoids mistakes. The skill positions should carry the load.

    (btw, another HOF QB had a shockingly bad first week but no one is expecting that to last)

  10. #70
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by LPMAN View Post
    That's what i thought too until Ray Fittipaldo in the offseason said Ben's arm got weaker every game second half of last season. Let's hope that after a year removed from the surgery his arm holds up all year.
    It is hard to use last year as a barometer because of the quick throw, short passing game that they went with. The only game that it seemed that the O did not follow that approach was the Colts comeback game, and Ben was zipping the ball into tight windows downfield in that game.

    If this line gets to the point where they can allow Najee to run and give Ben time to throw, we will see if he is up to the challenge.

    BTW, welcome LP

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •