Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This Team Has Evolved Defensively

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    it was lovely to see all those DB’s on the field.
    What's overlooked is the upgrade in secondary smarts. Fitz is supposedly a savant in understanding the defense. Sutton is not far behind, and of course Haden is a film nut. Having players that understand the scheme, know what everyone is supposed to do, can make up for lesser athleticism. How many times did we throw something at the TV when Artie Burns seemed to be playing a different game than the rest of the guys. Or Mike Mitchell playing so far off he wasn't in view half the time. It only takes one guy to wreck a finely tuned plan.

Having said this, it doesn't work if the Steelers don't get the pressure they did by rushing only four for most of the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The D yesterday hinged on the ability of the pass rushers to pressure with 4. When you never have to bring additional pass rushers, you have 7 available to stay in coverage.
    This!!!!!

Its all about the pass rush. Give me elite pass rushers over a so-called elite DB. The rules are all against DBs so attack the source...the opposing QB. Put him down or out and your win percentage greatly increases.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    What's overlooked is the upgrade in secondary smarts. Fitz is supposedly a savant in understanding the defense. Sutton is not far behind, and of course Haden is a film nut. Having players that understand the scheme, know what everyone is supposed to do, can make up for lesser athleticism. How many times did we throw something at the TV when Artie Burns seemed to be playing a different game than the rest of the guys. Or Mike Mitchell playing so far off he wasn't in view half the time. It only takes one guy to wreck a finely tuned plan.

Having said this, it doesn't work if the Steelers don't get the pressure they did by rushing only four for most of the game.
    not to dump on Lebrau but I always felt like our DB’s were overwhelmed by the playbook. Too busy trying to remember assignments instead of playing football the way they have their entire career.

Not saying these players weren’t also responsible for their shortcomings but we rarely saw players come in and play great ball early in their careers in our scheme.

Now guys are flying around making plays and attacking.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The actual defensive scheme is the same I think we are just better in the middle with Bush and Schobert, I think that really unleashes our pass rush off the edges.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    The actual defensive scheme is the same I think we are just better in the middle with Bush and Schobert, I think that really unleashes our pass rush off the edges.
    But it wasn't the same. M. Hoge said it best, Steeler formations were confusing Allen and the OL all afternoon. You had Watt playing ILB at one point. Did you see LBs on WRs? There were 7 DBs on some plays. Rewatch the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here in Bills country, most seems to be saying that the Bills gave it away.

There's a argument here with all the penalties (legit IMO) and a blocked punt for a TD is a fluke.

But our D should be hard to score against all year. And that pressure should generate more turnovers against worse QBs IMO.

I've got at least one foot on the hype train now...even though I know I'm probably over reacting to a single game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    There's a argument here with all the penalties (legit IMO) and a blocked punt for a TD is a fluke.

But our D should be hard to score against all year. And that pressure should generate more turnovers against worse QBs IMO.

I've got at least one foot on the hype train now...even though I know I'm probably over reacting to a single game.
    I always love the penalty excuse. Which of those holding calls was not holding? what about the several blatant holding calls that did not get called on the Bills? Blocked punt? The Steelers were up 3 and you were already giving them the ball back. We are to assume that was the difference between winning and losing because the Bills had already put up 10 points? Even without the blocked punt, the Bills would have had to still scored the 6 more points they got and shut out the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

I always love the penalty excuse. Which of those holding calls was not holding? what about the several blatant holding calls that did not get called on the Bills? Blocked punt? The Steelers were up 3 and you were already giving them the ball back. We are to assume that was the difference between winning and losing because the Bills had already put up 10 points? Even without the blocked punt, the Bills would have had to still scored the 6 more points they got and shut out the Steelers.
    I agree with you.

But I also get disappointed (pissed sometimes) when we get called for a penalty on a play where we also get a turnover. Even if the only reason the QB throws the pick is that he probably already saw the flag.

Legend

User Info Menu

^^^^^^^^^^^^

We were flying around and physical on defense. In all three phases of our defense. Bills have no run game and quality defenses will zero in on Allen because of no running game. Bulls are going no place. Too one dimensional on offense.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Bulls are going no place. Too one dimensional on offense.
    the Buffalo Bills are holding on to Sean McDermott too long, they should fire him immediately.
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.