Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Team Has Evolved Defensively

Legend

User Info Menu

This Team Has Evolved Defensively

I am not 100% sure what the difference is in this D, but It looks night and day different vs last year.

I think weíre on the verge of something special and being able to compete with anyone in the league.

Part of me thinks that Sutton and Pierre are big upgrades over last season.

Part of me thinks the 3 OLB rotation is important for dialing up the pressure.

Cam Heyward looks like he found the fountain of youth.

I didnít even really notice a lot of our ILBs, but part of me thinks Bush and Shcobert are the difference makers in this D.

if this was 2020, we would have had to watch Spillane chasing Diggs around the field all day. That was our Achilles heel for the last few seasons. We had to make up for ILBs who couldnít cover.

Maybe not noticing our ILBs was a good thing and a sign of things to come.

I am not even sure who is better - Bush or Schobert. But I am gonna start keeping a better eye on those 2 players.
    i think they might be the key to this D evolution.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pierre was out there covering and hitting. It was a beautiful thing to see. Sutton did his job as well
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Injuries eventually took their toll on the defense last year.

The defense got off to a good start. We can only hope the offense can deliver most support from game to game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Injuries eventually took their toll on the defense last year.

The defense got off to a good start. We can only hope the offense can deliver most support from game to game.
    I was going to point that out as well. Also, we remember the awful D that took the field against the Browns in the playoffs. That team was toast well before the playoffs. I've said it before, I truly believe that fatigue of no bye week had a huge effect on this team. Not using it as an excuse, but as a reason to believe there should not be a complete self destruction again this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I was going to point that out as well. Also, we remember the awful D that took the field against the Browns in the playoffs. That team was toast well before the playoffs. I've said it before, I truly believe that fatigue of no bye week had a huge effect on this team. Not using it as an excuse, but as a reason to believe there should not be a complete self destruction again this season.
    Solid points
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I am not 100% sure what the difference is in this D, but It looks night and day different vs last year.

I think we’re on the verge of something special and being able to compete with anyone in the league.

Part of me thinks that Sutton and Pierre are big upgrades over last season.

Part of me thinks the 3 OLB rotation is important for dialing up the pressure.

Cam Heyward looks like he found the fountain of youth.

I didn’t even really notice a lot of our ILBs, but part of me thinks Bush and Shcobert are the difference makers in this D.

if this was 2020, we would have had to watch Spillane chasing Diggs around the field all day. That was our Achilles heel for the last few seasons. We had to make up for ILBs who couldn’t cover.

Maybe not noticing our ILBs was a good thing and a sign of things to come.

I am not even sure who is better - Bush or Schobert. But I am gonna start keeping a better eye on those 2 players.
    i think they might be the key to this D evolution.
    I was glad to not see our ILBs covering their WRs.

hopefully, we never have to see that ever again.
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

it was lovely to see all those DBís on the field.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

DB's on the field and making plays on the ball. It was a joy to watch. This defense was prepared and came to play. Very impressive day one showing.

Legend

User Info Menu

In fact, there was one play I did see Bush split out wide covering a WR. I thought for sure Allen would take advantage but he threw it over the middle for an incompletion.

Legend

User Info Menu

The D yesterday hinged on the ability of the pass rushers to pressure with 4. When you never have to bring additional pass rushers, you have 7 available to stay in coverage.