Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Game thread: Steelers vs Buffalo

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    It’s hard to play fast when you got three defenders in your face when you take the handoff. Harris will be just fine.

Defense was solid.
    Overruled. My prediction is sound. Harris will end up being a bust. Sad to say this.

Who in the name of J. Christ is Miles Killebrew? He did all the work on that score.

Ben looking okay early in the season = Ben looking great later in the season. I just wish we had a running back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    What we learned today is that a running game begins with the line; not the running back. Najee is as talented as they come but the run game wasnít there because of the line.
    Exactly right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Buffalo has a pretty good defense.

We didn’t put up a lot of rushing or passing yards today.

We will be fine.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I think it's pretty clear now why the Steelers were comfortable letting Nelson go. Sutton was all over the place. Even on the TD allowed he had near perfect position. And that 4th down stop was all about smarts.
    Small sample, but Diggs stat line agrees.

Happy to be looking wrong on this one.

If the secondary isn't a weakness on this team and we stay healthy, maybe we can rival the Mason year? With probably fewer defensive scores. Probably over reacting to one game (even if it was a great one by the D)
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 09-13-2021 at 05:53 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Overruled. My prediction is sound. Harris will end up being a bust. Sad to say this.

Who in the name of J. Christ is Miles Killebrew? He did all the work on that score.

Ben looking okay early in the season = Ben looking great later in the season. I just wish we had a running back.
    Dude.. it was the first game against a quality opponent.

I think our entire O was out of sync in the first half.

It’s frustrating but this is what happens when the starting offense plays for 2 series ll preseason.

Might be the earliest bust prediction in Steeler board history.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Small sample, but Diggs stat line agrees.

Happy to be looking wrong on this one.

If the secondary isn't a weakness on this team and we stay healthy, maybe we can rival the Mason year? With probably fewer defensive scores. Probably over reacting to one game (even if it was a great one by the D)
    Well.. we also had an offseason to game plan for him. Last year we didn’t have Haden either.

I was scared as hell on the first few drives when Allen over threw a few guys deep who were open.

Sutton really played well. The whole D played well. Actually covering WR’s with DB’s instead of LB’s also does wonders.

I will keep repeating it over and over again.. Ingram was an awesome pick up and really made life difficult for Allen. Watt, Highsmith and Ingram were being held all game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Well.. we also had an offseason to game plan for him. Last year we didn’t have Haden either.

I was scared as hell on the first few drives when Allen over threw a few guys deep who were open.

Sutton really played well. The whole D played well. Actually covering WR’s with DB’s instead of LB’s also does wonders.

I will keep repeating it over and over again.. Ingram was an awesome pick up and really made life difficult for Allen. Watt, Highsmith and Ingram were being held all game.
    And they were actually calling it.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Good:
    • Coaching - hats off to Tomlin and Co., maybe the finest win of his career; I don't know if anyone else noticed but Tomlin was on the mic all afternoon while the defense was on the field. Would not be surprised to learn he had a big say in some of the calls.
    • Canada - separate shout out to MC; his fingerprint showed up early and often. The scripted stuff to start the game was not great but they got it on tape for defenses to think about. But the half time adjustments were a thing of beauty; a ton of play action (RPOs) in the second half had the Bills defense in chasing. Bills defense dared the Steelers to lengthen the passing game and they paid for it.
    • Heyward - some are pointing to Watt's game but man, Heyward was just dominating in this game. Singled?, faggetaboutit, doubled?...no problem. I shuddering thinking about this line when Tuitt gets back.
    • Watt - got Watt the Steelers paid for; game-changer, wrecker of offenses, you name it; if you saw evidence of lack of preseason I think you are dreaming.
    • Sutton - this kid has smarts and enough talent to be a #1 CB; they talked about his understanding of all the secondary positions and it showed yesterday; I counted at least two game tipping plays on the day
    • JJSS - a modern day Hines Ward; need a first down? No problem. BUF played the receivers tight most of the day but Juju is too much in single coverage.
    • Ingram - this could turn out to be another Colbert gem signing; outstanding as a rotational piece, spelling both Highsmith and Watt.

The Not Good:
    • Run game - eerily familiar looking; Harris looked hesitant and slow. I'm chalking it up to rookie first game and getting used to the speed of defenses. And clearly the blocking was below the line.
    • Harvin - man I hope the Steelers didn't make a mistake here but it looked like Berry all over again yesterday; very uneven performance but cutting him slack for first game jitters
    • Okorafor - doesn't look like the answer at RT; ineffective in the run game and was not good in pass pro; what's left? Got to hope Banner gets back soon.
    • Bush - some say he had a good first game back but I didn't see it. Generally slow to the tackle and missed gaps a couple of times; a #1 pick has got to be better.

The Lucky:
    • How lucky are the Steelers that Alualu changed his mind on signing with JAX? He was another key piece on the defensive front all afternoon.
    • Steeler Fans - another Sunday afternoon of hard-fought football ending in a victory

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Good:
    • Coaching - hats off to Tomlin and Co., maybe the finest win of his career; I don't know if anyone else noticed but Tomlin was on the mic all afternoon while the defense was on the field. Would not be surprised to learn he had a big say in some of the calls.
    • Canada - separate shout out to MC; his fingerprint showed up early and often. The scripted stuff to start the game was not great but they got it on tape for defenses to think about. But the half time adjustments were a thing of beauty; a ton of play action (RPOs) in the second half had the Bills defense in chasing. Bills defense dared the Steelers to lengthen the passing game and they paid for it.
    • Heyward - some are pointing to Watt's game but man, Heyward was just dominating in this game. Singled?, faggetaboutit, doubled?...no problem. I shuddering thinking about this line when Tuitt gets back.
    • Watt - got Watt the Steelers paid for; game-changer, wrecker of offenses, you name it; if you saw evidence of lack of preseason I think you are dreaming.
    • Sutton - this kid has smarts and enough talent to be a #1 CB; they talked about his understanding of all the secondary positions and it showed yesterday; I counted at least two game tipping plays on the day
    • JJSS - a modern day Hines Ward; need a first down? No problem. BUF played the receivers tight most of the day but Juju is too much in single coverage.
    • Ingram - this could turn out to be another Colbert gem signing; outstanding as a rotational piece, spelling both Highsmith and Watt.

The Not Good:
    • Run game - eerily familiar looking; Harris looked hesitant and slow. I'm chalking it up to rookie first game and getting used to the speed of defenses. And clearly the blocking was below the line.
    • Harvin - man I hope the Steelers didn't make a mistake here but it looked like Berry all over again yesterday; very uneven performance but cutting him slack for first game jitters
    • Okorafor - doesn't look like the answer at RT; ineffective in the run game and was not good in pass pro; what's left? Got to hope Banner gets back soon.
    • Bush - some say he had a good first game back but I didn't see it. Generally slow to the tackle and missed gaps a couple of times; a #1 pick has got to be better.

The Lucky:
    • How lucky are the Steelers that Alualu changed his mind on signing with JAX? He was another key piece on the defensive front all afternoon.
    • Steeler Fans - another Sunday afternoon of hard-fought football ending in a victory
    Good recap.

I literally thought Sutton was Mike Hilton on his 4th down tackle in the back field.

And I was sure we re-signed Berry on the miffed punt. Berry punts from our end zone have given me PTSD.