Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92

Thread: A Look Ahead to BUF

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    A Look Ahead to BUF

    Expect that the Steelers will be almost exclusively in nickel and dime defenses when playing BUF. BUF ran 11 personnel about 70% of the time last season (6th in NFL), and 10 personnel (4 WRs) 15% (2nd in NFL). If the Steelers can't find a pass rush it's gonna be a long day at the office for the secondary and could get out of hand quickly. I don't know what magic Butler will have up his sleeve but it better be Houdini-like cause what we saw in preseason ain't gonna cut it. The slot CB is gonna get carved like a Thanksgiving day turkey.

    Best bet is for the PIT O to stay on the field in long drives.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Expect that the Steelers will be almost exclusively in nickel and dime defenses when playing BUF. BUF ran 11 personnel about 70% of the time last season (6th in NFL), and 10 personnel (4 WRs) 15% (2nd in NFL). If the Steelers can't find a pass rush it's gonna be a long day at the office for the secondary and could get out of hand quickly. I don't know what magic Butler will have up his sleeve but it better be Houdini-like cause what we saw in preseason ain't gonna cut it. The slot CB is gonna get carved like a Thanksgiving day turkey.

    Best bet is for the PIT O to stay on the field in long drives.
    I would like the Steelers chances against Buffalo around game 4 or 5 rather than right out of the gate, that way the offensive line has had a chance to work together and gel as a unit and Ben knows what to expect.

    Pappy


    The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I would like the Steelers chances against Buffalo around game 4 or 5 rather than right out of the gate, that way the offensive line has had a chance to work together and gel as a unit and Ben knows what to expect.

    Pappy
    I like the tough game out of the gate. While Buffalo is predicted to be a top team this year I think most teams need a few weeks to get into a groove.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I would like the Steelers chances against Buffalo around game 4 or 5 rather than right out of the gate, that way the offensive line has had a chance to work together and gel as a unit and Ben knows what to expect.

    Pappy
    I agree with you.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I like the tough game out of the gate. While Buffalo is predicted to be a top team this year I think most teams need a few weeks to get into a groove.
    Well, you'll get your wish, it's a tough game out of the gate. I hope you're right and the Bills struggle a bit to find a groove.

    Pappy


    The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I think this is a game we only win if we're like +2 in the turnover battle. A DTD or one from ST would be nice too.

    I think Buffalo will be really good. And I think our O-line won't be good in week one (but hopefully later in the season). And I think it will be hard for us to put up point with poor line play.

    Hoping to be wrong, but expecting to get heckled by my colleagues who are almost exclusively Bills fans over here.

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think this is a game we only win if we're like +2 in the turnover battle. A DTD or one from ST would be nice too.

    I think Buffalo will be really good. And I think our O-line won't be good in week one (but hopefully later in the season). And I think it will be hard for us to put up point with poor line play.

    Hoping to be wrong, but expecting to get heckled by my colleagues who are almost exclusively Bills fans over here.
    Not to mention what happens when the Bills go 4 wide receiver formation on us and we get to see what type of quality depth we really have in the secondary.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Well, you'll get your wish, it's a tough game out of the gate. I hope you're right and the Bills struggle a bit to find a groove.

    Pappy
    While I think Buffalo has the edge for obvious reasons these first few games tend to be a bit weird for most teams.

    Teams change every year and new strengths and weaknesses pop up.

    I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if we aren’t “as bad” and they aren’t “as good” as most believe.

    but anything can happen and we might get taken to the woodshed. I’m hoping we rise to the occasion.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  9. #9
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    I'm not sure we can put up a pass rush. They will be able to double Heyward w/o Tuitt. Watt I don't know what to expect? If we win it will be by 35-27 or we get lucky with TO s. I don't have confidence in this game.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    While I think Buffalo has the edge for obvious reasons these first few games tend to be a bit weird for most teams.

    Teams change every year and new strengths and weaknesses pop up.

    I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if we aren’t “as bad” and they aren’t “as good” as most believe.

    but anything can happen and we might get taken to the woodshed. I’m hoping we rise to the occasion.
    PIT is a 6.5 dog right now which isn't the worst matchup but it's a pretty healthy margin for a Wk1 game where, as you say, nobody knows nuttin.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •