Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patriots cut Can Newton

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    In today’s MMWR, a study of COVID-19 infections in Kentucky among people who were previously infected with SAR-CoV-2 shows that unvaccinated individuals are more than twice as likely to be reinfected with COVID-19 than those who were fully vaccinated after initially contracting the virus. These data further indicate that COVID-19 vaccines offer better protection than natural immunity alone and that vaccines, even after prior infection, help prevent reinfections.

“If you have had COVID-19 before, please still get vaccinated,” said CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky. “This study shows you are twice as likely to get infected again if you are unvaccinated. Getting the vaccine is the best way to protect yourself and others around you, especially as the more contagious Delta variant spreads around the country.”

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...rotection.html
    I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being the case, especially in the short term.

In the medium term to long term? Who knows. Maybe still true.

Against different variants? Who knows. Maybe still true.

It's hubris to assume that we know much at the moment IMO. So it makes sense to be cautious. Especially if you're in a higher risk population.

My understanding (per a paper in Nature) is that natural immunity from SARS still provided immunity to Covid almost 2 decades later. My guess is that a vaccine won't be a durable as that. And that it may not offer protection as broads as that. Would be interesting to see if the memory t cells for SARS still worked against Delta. Maybe the paper you linked looks at that for memory t cells for covid. I'll have to check it out.

But natural immunity to covid might not be that durable either, or as broad. And the positive predictive value of positive test probably isn't as high as we'd hope given the low prevalence, so a good number of positive tests will be false...which means many who think they had it didn't. It makes sense to try to bias toward false positives, because a false positive is much better than a false negative.

And it may be that mass vaccination during the pandemic is putting evolutionary pressure on the disease...while potentially removing the pressure to become less deadly since vaccinated people can still get and transmit without having serious symptoms.

There's a 2015 (?) paper in one of the PLOS journals that talks about this risk from imperfect vaccination (in some animal population.. Chickens I think?). Hopefully it's not applicable to what we're doing now.

But to me, that's the best argument for getting vaccinated. That vaccination of this type (i.e. leaky / imperfect) has a possibility of making new variants more deadly (especially to the unvaccinated).

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have run the experiment...we'll only know that for sure in hind sight. And you don't get access to a time machine when you're making decisions.

But it should be clear that we are running an experiment. And while we have hypotheses that make sense for what will happen (some good, some bad), I don't think we actually know if this will work in the medium to long term...but it's not exactly my field so I could be underestimating or level of understanding.

Maybe none of that matters. But I think it all adds up to "still try to be cautious". Part of that is behavior around getting vaccinated. Part of that is also losing weight (on my case anyway) and getting enough micronutrients (we stick at vitamin D here in the North East... Especially in the winter). And part of it is also trying to figure out how to deal with all of this without sacrificing mental health.

It's obvious that it's a difficult problem on a societal level.

And unfortunately it doesn't like to be as simple as "take two shots and it will all be over". That was never the promise... But I think it was the hope.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-31-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think this is a surprise.

But he played pretty poorly last year.

The vaccination stuff may have pissed them off...but presumably actually having covid is better than getting a vaccine for future protection (at least that's my understanding for the durability of most immunity).
    That's exactly right, but the entire media is ignoring that FACT. As does the NFL's policy. It's one big scam.

Legend

User Info Menu

Natural News (formerly NewsTarget, which is now a separate sister site) is a far-right, anti-vaccination conspiracy theory and fake news website known for promoting alternative medicine, pseudoscience, and far-right extremism.

The site's founder, Michael Allen "Mike" Adams, gained attention after posting a blog entry implying a call for violence against proponents of GMO foods, and then allegedly creating another website with a list of names of alleged supporters. He has been accused of using "pseudoscience to sell his lies". Adams has described vaccines as "medical child abuse".

The website sells various dietary supplements, promotes alternative medicine and climate change denial, makes tendentious nutrition and health claims, disseminates fake news, and espouses various conspiracy theories and pro-Donald Trump propaganda. These conspiracy theories include chemophobic claims about the purported dangers of "chemtrails", fluoridated drinking water, anti-perspirants, laundry detergent, monosodium glutamate, aspartame, and vaccines. It has also spread conspiracy theories about the Zika virus allegedly being spread by genetically modified mosquitoes and purported adverse effects of genetically modified crops, as well as the farming practices associated with and foods derived from them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Apparently there is more to this story than covid. According to one GM, Newton is not consistently accurate enough to be a starting QB in this league and it stems from the shoulder injury he had several years ago. And if you remember when Newton came available, no team budged to sign until finally NE did. But as soon as Belichick drafted the hyper accurate Jones it was a done deal and Newton was out.

I didn't believe this myself so I looked it up. In his 10 yr career Newton has only been a +60% passer in three seasons. He's not good enough to be a starter but some team will be desperate or get sucked in by the past hype. I'm not sure why the media doesn't bring this up more. Like Newton is untouchable for some reason.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Apparently there is more to this story than covid. According to one GM, Newton is not consistently accurate enough to be a starting QB in this league and it stems from the shoulder injury he had several years ago. And if you remember when Newton came available, no team budged to sign until finally NE did. But as soon as Belichick drafted the hyper accurate Jones it was a done deal and Newton was out.

I didn't believe this myself so I looked it up. In his 10 yr career Newton has only been a +60% passer in three seasons. He's not good enough to be a starter but some team will be desperate or get sucked in by the past hype. I'm not sure why the media doesn't bring this up more. Like Newton is untouchable for some reason.
    Cam hasn’t been the same since TJ hit him and hurt that shoulder. He was throwing near 70 percent and the panthers were 6-2 rolling into our game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Cam hasn’t been the same since TJ hit him and hurt that shoulder. He was throwing near 70 percent and the panthers were 6-2 rolling into our game.
    This is the correct answer. He was an MVP candidate prior to that hit and was playing solid football.

A mobile QB who was clocked in the pocket.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Heard some speculation today that he may have asked to be released if he wasn't going to be the starter.

Probably knows that he has to have some good tape this year if he wants to stay in the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

while some of this is true I think Cam was playing well before he had covid last year. He threw for 400 yards, 1TD ran for 2TD’s and completed 68% of his passes in a great game vs Seattle week 2 where it looked like the old Cam was back.

But when came back from covid he looked like hot garbage.

Billicheat always gave Cam props because he was 2-0 vs New England and gave them fits.

Who knows where he lands but it will more than likely be a backup or wait until a QB is injured.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 09-01-2021 at 10:34 AM.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    while some of this is true I think Cam was playing well before he had covid last year. He came back and looked like hot garbage.

Billicheat always gave Cam props because he was 2-0 vs New England and gave them fits.

Who knows where he lands but it will more than likely be a backup or wait until a QB is injured.
    A QB that throws <60% completion in the modern NFL is not a recipe for success. He's done as a starter.

Legend

User Info Menu

A QB that throws <60% completion in the modern NFL is not a recipe for success. He's done as a starter.
    while I agree.. he was 65% last year and he is 60.1% for his career. The problem last year is after covid he was dink and dunk and didn’t have success going downfield.