Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sam Howell …. your thoughts

Legend

User Info Menu

Sam Howell …. your thoughts

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/br...ound-offering/

Looking at some of his highlights on Steeler Depot. What are your thoughts on him after you see his highlights?
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Without looking at the article...

I've seen him twice this past season. Once pretty early, once later in the season. He was one of the bigger name QB prospects, and I wanted to pay attention to his game. Both times I came away saying that I could not believe he was so highly touted and was not surprised as the season went on you heard less and less about him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

I've seen him twice this past season. Once pretty early, once later in the season. He was one of the bigger name QB prospects, and I wanted to pay attention to his game. Both times I came away saying that I could not believe he was so highly touted and was not surprised as the season went on you heard less and less about him.
    Hmmm.. I appreciate your insight.
    From the 2010-2021 season, (A 12year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Currently, Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mrs. Ghost went to grad school at UNC, so if the heels were on; I watched at last some part of the game. At no time did I consider Howell to be a true difference maker with occasionally questioning his decision making skills.

Here's what I posted in another thread:

I’d take a pass on Sam Howell.

NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah compared Howell to Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield after studying three of his game tapes from the 2020 season.

UNC finished the regular season 6-7 (3 -5 in the ACC Coastal) and was never more than a game above .500 at any point during the year. They had some horrible losses – GA Tech and FSU sucked this year. They got killed in their Bowl game.

Howell needed to pull a K Pickett and come back for his senior year for the experience and maturity b/f heading to the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/br...ound-offering/

Looking at some of his highlights on Steeler Depot. What are your thoughts on him after you see his highlights?
    I live in NC and have seen him for 2 years.. no thanks.

If you want another season of snoozer first halves wondering where the offense is and then seeing a heroic comeback that falls short.. well Sam Howell is your guy. Dude shows up as soon as they are down 20 points and puts on a good show but this is also why his Heisman hopes faded early and they lost 6 or 7 games this year.

I will admit he can tote the rock, I watched him bulldoze a few DB’s and he rarely slid.. but he will get killed in the NFL trying that. I think that is why people say he is a poor mans Baker Mayfield. I think he is a netter passer but not sure he makes better decisions.

I’ll take a UNC Wideout tho.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Starter

User Info Menu

Agreed. Reminds me of Baker Mayfield, and not for any good reasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd rather we pass on Howell

which means our brass is probably interested in him

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I've never seen him play, but it appears he had a rather Darnold-like regression his Junior year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...darnold-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-howell-1.html

Legend

User Info Menu

exactly.. I’m not even a UNC fan but he was hyped so much and they had a food season last year with those 2 RB’s so everyone was hyped up this year. Man.. it
    was sad to hear local sports radio bail on him so quick.

This was supposed to be his year and Pickett and the Wake QB made everyone forget about Howell in the ACC.

That VTech loss to start the season was a great example of his game. 1 TD 3INT’s

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    I've never seen him play, but it appears he had a rather Darnold-like regression his Junior year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...darnold-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-howell-1.html
    Sam Howell = Sam Grier