Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben has a tell?

Backup

User Info Menu

Ben has a tell?

Anyone else see this in the media? And anyone recognize Ben was doing this?

https://deadspin.com/ben-roethlisberger-has-a-tell-1847266096

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting. But since he's done it since his rookie season and he is heading for the HOF it doesn't seem to have impacted his game much.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ROLROC View Post

Is Ben going to do anything about it now?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think I remember some chatter about this when the report was out over the summer.

Seems like thoughts were mixed from "it doesn't matter at all" to "it's a pretty big issue". IIRC, this was even split when interviewing former players. I think Moats said it didn't really matter. But Ike said it was something defenses could capitalize on. Maybe you need Troy-like awareness to get a feel for these kind of things?

Either way, I think part of the hope this year is that a new and creative OC will bring in more changes to the O than we've seen in recent year.

Personally, I think the comments coming out last year about our O being the easiest to prepare for are probably more important than small tells like this that happen pretty soon before the snap of the ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Ben could just change this up 4-5 times a game, teams wouldn't be able to key on it

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ROLROC View Post

Yeah, there were several stories this past summer about the tell...even PFT ran something. I thought I noticed it once myself in the Detroit game but it was too quick for me to be sure. Now that the entire world is apparently aware of it, I would hope that Ben and the coaching staff address this somehow. If he's been doing this unconsciously for his entire career, it may be a hard habit to break. I say any edge you give to your opponent is a big deal. Fix it.

Legend

User Info Menu

does he eat oreo cookies when he has the best hand possible?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this is bull####.

I need to see the predictions in real time.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think I remember some chatter about this when the report was out over the summer.

Seems like thoughts were mixed from "it doesn't matter at all" to "it's a pretty big issue". IIRC, this was even split when interviewing former players. I think Moats said it didn't really matter. But Ike said it was something defenses could capitalize on. Maybe you need Troy-like awareness to get a feel for these kind of things?

Either way, I think part of the hope this year is that a new and creative OC will bring in more changes to the O than we've seen in recent year.

Personally, I think the comments coming out last year about our O being the easiest to prepare for are probably more important than small tells like this that happen pretty soon before the snap of the ball.
    Maybe the tells are factored into our offense being so easy to prepare for last year? Regardless, I’m sure Steelers brass have seen the stories so hopefully they do something about it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Maybe the tells are factored into our offense being so easy to prepare for last year? Regardless, I’m sure Steelers brass have seen the stories so hopefully they do something about it.
    I think this had to be part of it.