Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ps #2: Pit @ phi

Backup

User Info Menu

Rudolph wasn't terrible, just didn't see anything special. And the 1 incompletion he did have was a terrible look as he got Najee lit up.

Backup

User Info Menu

Rudolph again showed a good long ball while Haskins again showed short passes, many behind the line. Rudolph also had two drive ending penalties. Haskins will negate the running game with his short passing as we saw last year. Teams will crowd the line.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KYPITTFAN View Post
    Rudolph again showed a good long ball while Haskins again showed short passes, many behind the line. Rudolph also had two drive ending penalties. Haskins will negate the running game with his short passing as we saw last year. Teams will crowd the line.
    lol...do you actually believe Haskins can't throw deep? I had my thoughts confirmed today listening to some of the Steeler media in the know. Haskins was a guy in college who hated the check down. He was always looking for that homerun. Why do you think he had 50 TDs in his one season as a starter? Short dumps? No the guy has a beautiful deep ball. But, the coaching staff is helping him learn how to not always go for the homerun. Take what's there. Move the chains. Trust me on this, Haskins has the best deep accuracy of anyone on the team including BB. Unless you are in the locker room you don't know how the coaches are asking Haskins to play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Haskins also had a long pass didn't he*?

I wonder if they have different things the coaches are asking from them. Rudolph, try to show us that you can pass deep. Haskins, show us that you can manage a drive and make good decisions.

No turnovers this time from either of them, right? Just Dobbs I think. That's probably good news.

* Edited to add: Looks like he had (1) an 18 yard pass that the play by play said was "deep left to C.White" looks like all air yards? and (2) a 22 yard TD "deep middle" to A Johnson caught in the endzone, so the air yards are actually > 22 (looks like he was left undefended...but it's good that he found him), (3) pass to Bussey was 15 air yards and 24 total yards, (4).

I think short passes are OK as long as we're mixing in deep balls that get completed too. The problem last year seemed to be that we couldn't complete anything deep.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-13-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    We only have 4. The NFL changed the preseason to three weeks when they added the 17th game.
    oh thx. Didn’t realize that

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Agreed. I mean it's about moving chains and keeping drives alive.
    Here's what I will tell you. The Steelers started something like 0 for 3 or 4 on third down conversions. The team finished 11-17. A couple of those stalled drives came after holding calls, so team needed to go 20 not 10 for a first.

Overall I'd say that Haskins looked good not great as a backup QB. He did make a couple of bad throws, but also a few nice ones. Even if we don't give much credit for the Johnson TD (guy was so wide open that you cut a QB who misses that throw ) there was still enough to be satisfied with.

IMO the Haskins question has nothing to do with whether or not he can beat out Mason for the #2 spot. The big question is roster or no roster. If he does make the roster then I think the team sees him as a possible long-term replacement. That was the idea behind bringing in a Haskins type player - huge raw potential an pedigree - as opposed to your typical vet QB - guy who can guide the team should he be forced into duty this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick'sTeam View Post
    Rudolph wasn't terrible, just didn't see anything special. And the 1 incompletion he did have was a terrible look as he got Najee lit up.
    I was furious at that pass to Najee.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Haskin’s is trying to show that he can manage the game. We all know he has the arm to make any throw but I think part of his criticism is trying to bite off more than he can chew which leads to turnovers. I would like to see Haskins with Najee behind him because that gives him more room to operate downfield with defenses focusing on Najee.

Also keep in mind Rudolph only had one deep completion (that I remember but I was playing host while the game was on) and the rest was underneath. Beautiful deep ball but everything else was typical Mason.

While the TD was to a wide open player it was on a play where Haskin’s was able to get the DL to jump offside so he had a free play. The fact that he moved in the pocket to help create some confusion with the defense was nice to see.

One thing that was trash was the constant “and this is why he isn’t in Washington” anytime he had an incompletion.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Everyone just needs to accept the fact that the pecking order for QB has already been determined.

#1-Ben. No reason to explain
    #2-Mason. He has shown he is a solid back up and has the experience and confidence of the staff
    #3-Dwayne. Showing good things, but I'm sure the team wants to see him keep his act together for the entire season. He'll be the #3 going in, but could elevate himself during the season. Tomlin isn't going to give him anything.
    Dunno. It sure seemed like MR had happy feet in that game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    lol...do you actually believe Haskins can't throw deep? I had my thoughts confirmed today listening to some of the Steeler media in the know. Haskins was a guy in college who hated the check down. He was always looking for that homerun. Why do you think he had 50 TDs in his one season as a starter? Short dumps? No the guy has a beautiful deep ball. But, the coaching staff is helping him learn how to not always go for the homerun. Take what's there. Move the chains. Trust me on this, Haskins has the best deep accuracy of anyone on the team including BB. Unless you are in the locker room you don't know how the coaches are asking Haskins to play.
    All we have seen from Haskins in the NFL is one of the lowest yds/att of any starting QB. It might not be what he is, but it is what he has shown so far in his short career.

2020 atts >20yds = 24 = 32nd
    2019 atts >20yds = 24 = 31st

I would think that preseason is the time he should be attempting long throws in order to work on kinks and get timing down with his receivers.